ns2_eclipse_andhow

ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited December 2018 in Mapping
Been working on a version of Eclipse that's got some pretty big changes. It's called Eclipse_andhow! More updates coming soon!

Workshop link!

Layout!
dh7YMyI.jpg

Current build

Power Sub Junction
* Opened up eastern entrance to Computer Core
B2oEgDy.jpg
* Moved location of Power Node toward doorway to help gorges harass it better
YYr2ovh.jpg
* Added pillars to help skulks in middle section
YNiIZQ3.jpg
* Increased lighting to better spot aliens against dark background in this corner
l9eTiDT.jpg
* Increased total height of Power Sub by a couple meters
mUoPsb6.jpg
* Increased height in other areas further to facilitate three-dimensional alien movement
xOoly6v.jpg
* Removed fins from Power Sub exits
XgGymfl.jpg

Computer Core
* Removed a lot of excess crate-age and added some pipes for aliens to move around
ejLGk6b.jpg
* Closed west "server room"
VM2dbKx.jpg
* Added additional vent exit in less risky location in the heart of Computer Core
GUtfgzV.jpg

Core Access
* Changed hallway to eliminate gigantic line of sight from Computer Core to Power Sub Junction
fmTyKqZ.jpg
* Increased width of Power Sub Junction - Core Access connector
OvlSmDl.jpg
* Opened up upper Core Access and added multiple entry points (Thanks, @pSyk0mAn)
PTq38d3.jpg
* Increased floorspace by monitors
0TBvrx3.jpg

Generator Monitors
* Removed all the stuff in the RT room
QSg0Web.jpg

Eclipse
* Removed a lot of the crates at the northern entrance from Triad
WsWaynH.jpg

Triad
* Redistributed crates to offer some protection for fleeing lifeforms
nHIFeZ2.jpg

West Route
* Removed an LOS crate
ciqW2qK.jpg

Marine Start
* Renamed Lounge
* Shrunk TSA checkpoint
W1F1DQL.jpg

Access Alpha
* Moved Power Node closer to Skulk ambush location
2ryuVDG.jpg

Maintenance
* Added gigantic LOS blocking wall to better help aliens defend
2okREK3.jpg
* Increased space around the back wall and tech point
KraphCp.jpg

South Loop
* Removed glass paneling
NOP7mBQ.jpg
* Modified screen texture for aspect ratio warping
BfNLfiP.jpg

Comments

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    I like the new CC room!
    I always get stuck as fade/lerk in the clutter leading to power core...
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Good changes. The only thing I am not so sure about is the big wall in Maintenance. I would also like to see a huge simplification on Keyhole's vent system, did you consider that?
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Great changes and a good start.
    But tbh I feel like the real issues of this map haven't been adressed yet, it will not really change anything for those hating the map for various reasons.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Things I'd recommend from my experience with Eclipse:
    Remove the access alpha / east foyer vent connection as the rotation time for aliens compared to marines makes it feel impossible for marines to hold res in that area.

Try to reduce as many sharp corners as is possible across the map as the lower half of the map feels like it is comprised entirely of ambush spots.

Simplify the maintenance vent entrances so it is easy to see and get into which would help both teams with that location.

Expand the gen.mon res closet.

Either push the eclipse tp room further away from computer core, or pull maintenance closer to computer core as the distances makes the eclipse tp the optimal second hive location if aliens start in computer core.

Move the hive in computer core away from line of sight of the western door as marines don't even need to enter computer core to kill the hive, or move the core access entrance to the center of the room where the west server room currently is.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The original build was some of Elodea and Blind's suggested changes as well as a few of my own.

@pSyk0mAn, the corners are coming. I started working a bit with some corners around Comp Core. Hopefully this can be expanded throughout the rest of the map.

@IeptBarakat I plan to implement more of yours and @SamusDroid's changes in future builds. Thanks for handing me a useful list here.
  • ThesaltyseacaptainThesaltyseacaptain Canada Join Date: 2018-07-11 Member: 242113Members, NS2 Community Developer
    Love the look of the changes so far. Bugs me the the marine start is not called elevator room lol. :p
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    the moment you realise that the avatar of @Thesaltyseacaptain is the minimap of xyllery
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    And what is your avatar Meph.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    a minimalised version of the logo from the game "freedom planet"
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    could also be a stylized silhoutte of a ww1 british infantryman's head :P
    xpdhzke90goa.jpg
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    This is very ambitious. I hope it works out!
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Love the new Computer Core/Access area.