an Orca like leviathan or huge non-leviathan. (predatory behavior)

kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
edited November 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hi

I was watching an orca (killer whale) documentary in which scientists observe the massive creatures' predatory behavior.

orcas prey on a very strict group of animals, and avoid anything they are not familiar with. they showed a video where an orca charged on a surfer with a killer intent, but immediately ceased aggression the moment he got too close the surfer and realized the animal he was attacking was not a seal. the scientist attribute this behavior to the animal's intelligence and ability to make actual decisions, rather than relying on predatory instincts.

Imagine such a creature in subnautica with its jump-scare potential, these creatures could randomly pop up in safe shallows or anywhere in the game, completely silent until they get too close then BOOM, a giant face curiously checking you out and then it subsequently leaves you alone.

they could look like orcas or dolphins to some extent, to make the players understand that they are highly intelligent animals, with a strict diet :D
like orcas, they could look intimidating, but not monstrous.

what the game could benefit from such creature:

1. non-scripted intense moments
2. causing unpredictability for a new player. and breaking the notion that "if a creature is huge and mobile = BAD"
3. a new behavior type other than aggressive, and neutral. a cross between two.
4. they could be aggressive to other leviathans, create jurassic park like moments :D

youtube video of the orcas charging at a surfer

thank you for the awesome game btw, i am huge of fan of you guys since natural selection half life mode. :D

Comments

• BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    edited November 2018
    I reckon I'd get out the water pretty quick. They've been known to use their aquarium keepers as chew-toys, for time to time.

(Nice ideas though)
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Orcas are also known for torturing smaller animals and playing with their food.

And they aren't such specialized hunters with a strict diet by nature. They are apex predators which can display a generalized diet and are capable to eat practically anything in their environment.
    They eat other mammals too, including larger whales. Also fish, birds, sharks, rays, turtles, octopuses, you name it.

The thing is, they are very intelligent animals and much of their behavior is learnt, therefore some groups are very specialized. And one can find several groups in the same biome, each with a different specialized diet, as long as said biome is very productive.
    In lower latitude they tend to be less picky and eat almost anything.

However Orca attacks, in the wild, against humans are extremely rare.
    Exhibiting excellent echolocation, it is likely that they recognize us as mammals.

I'm afraid of everything underwater. I think that if I met an orca I would've died on the spot from terror.

A friend of mine worked with a guy that had a close encounter. According to her, he delayed for a few minutes getting out of the water, he wanted to dive for a final check on an equipment.
    Apparently he heard the Killer Whales coming before they arrived and, working with cetaceans, he recognized their clicks. Soon after a small pod dashed past him. As soon as they were gone he climbed back on the boat and started crying.

Regarding the curiosity idea for the Leviathan, I love it.
    And I have experienced it myself with the Sea Dragon.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    O
    Regarding the curiosity idea for the Leviathan, I love it.
    And I have experienced it myself with the Sea Dragon.

I can verify as of last night that that behavior is NOT normal for Sea Dragon Leviathans any more. (RIP to my first real hardcore game.)
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members

A friend of mine worked with a guy that had a close encounter. According to her, he delayed for a few minutes getting out of the water, he wanted to dive for a final check on an equipment.
    Apparently he heard the Killer Whales coming before they arrived and, working with cetaceans, he recognized their clicks. Soon after a small pod dashed past him. As soon as they were gone he climbed back on the boat and started crying.

Cool story
  • Stubb063Stubb063 Join Date: 2018-03-30 Member: 239641Members
    Diving with Orcas is actually a pretty desirable experience among scuba divers.

There's actually no recorded instances of killer whales killing humans in the wild. Even the attacks that have been recorded have almost always proven to be instances of mistaken identity, which in themselves are still extremely rare.

The truth is that they're just extremely intelligent animals, similar to dolphins, that understand that humans underwater aren't food, and aren't a threat.

There's tons of videos on Youtube of people swimming with them in the wild, including this one:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2XEs33Ht_R4
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Stubb063 wrote: »

There's actually no recorded instances of killer whales killing humans in the wild. Even the attacks that have been recorded have almost always proven to be instances of mistaken identity, which in themselves are still extremely rare.

The truth is that they're just extremely intelligent animals, similar to dolphins, that understand that humans underwater aren't food, and aren't a threat.

There's tons of videos on Youtube of people swimming with them in the wild, including this one:

I'm aware of this. There are also people who dives with sharks. Shark attacks are extremely rare (not as rare as Orca attacks, but still).
    It doesn't change the fact that those are huge predators and should be engaged with utmost respect.
    And the few, brutal, attacks in captivity are just a few examples of what these animals can do to humans, if they feel like it (imo those attacks were not on the animals fault. It is a sacrilege to keep such a majestic animal designed to roam freely through the oceans into a small swimming pool).

I'm afraid of much smaller predators, and even some non predators. A moray eel sprouting from a rock is enough to keep me away from a large section of rocky shore (I was bitten by one once, I feel like this fear is justified).
    I once met a manta ray, it was terrifying but I stood my ground.

So, yeah, I would probably die if I met an Orca even if, rationally, I know they aren't threats.
  • Stubb063Stubb063 Join Date: 2018-03-30 Member: 239641Members
    Stubb063 wrote: »

I'm aware of this. There are also people who dives with sharks. Shark attacks are extremely rare (not as rare as Orca attacks, but still).
    It doesn't change the fact that those are huge predators and should be engaged with utmost respect.
    And the few, brutal, attacks in captivity are just a few examples of what these animals can do to humans, if they feel like it (imo those attacks were not on the animals fault. It is a sacrilege to keep such a majestic animal designed to roam freely through the oceans into a small swimming pool).

I'm afraid of much smaller predators, and even some non predators. A moray eel sprouting from a rock is enough to keep me away from a large section of rocky shore (I was bitten by one once, I feel like this fear is justified).
    I once met a manta ray, it was terrifying but I stood my ground.

So, yeah, I would probably die if I met an Orca even if, rationally, I know they aren't threats.

Haha, fair enough. I had many of those same fears when I first got into scuba diving. I initially told myself I was just going to be a fresh water diver. The thought of being in the ocean and coming face to face with a shark terrified me.

But then I got talked into diving in Mexico two years ago, and found ocean diving is way more peaceful than I ever imagined it'd be. It was amazing to look around and realize just how little underwater creatures care about you. You're nothing but a floating piece of debris to them.

And now, here I am, leaving tomorrow morning for Honduras with a shark dive scheduled for Tuesday!
  • millievdbmillievdb Join Date: 2018-07-17 Member: 242266Members
    @kespec i had the same idea and tried to draw something alike
  • millievdbmillievdb Join Date: 2018-07-17 Member: 242266Members
    edited December 2018
    980wgub8gwj7.jpg
    This are some drawings that I made...