Mineshaft fixes?

2»

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Could just block off the upper area, via wall or some combination of pipes or rocks.

oTgt4Je.png
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Just going to pipe in to say that invisible walls are one of the worst things ever to encounter in a game.

They should never EVER be considered a solution for any kind of problem.

It would be better to put up an actual wall of rock over the opening to gap, thus making the area on the other side of the operations glass purely aesthetic. (Or just change operations glass wall to a solid one and remove that little area entirely)

Still.. You have plenty in any game. Since the beginning of game development I'm afraid.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    As an example.
    A 1 hour Prototype job.
    0bw6qdxgnhc7.png
    u5ldlauh47ts.png
    p1xh3q7afbmo.png
    28yas9vgeo6u.png
    p2vqetjicf5u.png

The steam jet as a visual warning. A killer box/entity will just make sure no one gets there. Tadaa
    pt8f69vzpe7m.png
    4q07ycgjng6d.png

Everything was done with props from refinery and Cave. I didn't take the time to get the best fit. It's a prototype after all. But as there are many different props of the same family concerning lava...
    Rocks won't be hard to find either.

It brings light and life in there.

Perf:
    • Not many animated stuff.
    • At least nothing NS2 cannot handle. Ambient lights will do the jobs flawlessly. I used 6 i think.

This also enables to open more the hole between gap/operation. this would make the glass bubble more... logical... I mean : A glass wall to get a view on a rock wall isn't my definition of a view.

• MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Just going to pipe in to say that invisible walls are one of the worst things ever to encounter in a game.

They should never EVER be considered a solution for any kind of problem.

It would be better to put up an actual wall of rock over the opening to gap, thus making the area on the other side of the operations glass purely aesthetic. (Or just change operations glass wall to a solid one and remove that little area entirely)

Still.. You have plenty in any game. Since the beginning of game development I'm afraid.

And they can be one of the worst things developers can use.

Granted it's not as bad when they're set outside physical barriers or otherwise placed where it's clearly somewhere you're not supposed to go (such as outside the map) or when it's somewhere you can't see or notice (like blocking a dip between some rocks so players don't get caught)

But when it's areas that you clearly should be able to walk/climb/jump/etc to and you can't because of an invisible wall it just screams lazy development.

Something to make the wall visual (glass/forcefield/etc) or a kill box type zone like what you mentioned is infinitely better because then it doesn't look like the devs are taking lazy shortcuts. (Plus they aren't nearly as annoying and frustrating for the player to encounter)