Update 325 - Anniversary - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited October 2018 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUpdate 325 - Anniversary - Natural Selection 2

Update 325 includes balance adjustments, map refinements, bug fixes, gameplay tweaks, and new cosmetics to the Catalyst Pack. A long time veteran of NS2 development has rejoined the team, Fsfod...

Read the full story here

Comments

• RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
    Great update, It's good to see the Egg and Embryo change so marines can't tell which are evolving anymore :), Also the SDK work. Fantastic! Thank you!! <3
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited October 2018
    Lots of good changes here - interested to see how it plays out.

Are the lerk gliding sounds occluded by geometry? Will someone hear me gliding if they're directly opposite from me on the other side of a wall, or only after I round the corner?
  • LasLas Join Date: 2017-01-21 Member: 227070Members
    Nous, I'm pretty sure all sounds are occluded.
    Also, great patch UWE! Nice to see many old bugs fixed.
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited October 2018
    Las wrote: »
    Nous, I'm pretty sure all sounds are occluded.
    Also, great patch UWE! Nice to see many old bugs fixed.

There was a comment on the trello card after the public PT which suggested it was an option, so I was just looking for confirmation.
  • XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
    Still need 2nd IP at start even for 7 players or less... please... or at least reduce cost of IP from 20 to 10... :/
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Lerk gliding sounds are occluded by geo @NousWanderer
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is really jarring to start a game without two ips.
  • XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
    edited October 2018
    Nordic wrote: »

As I remember well in NS1 you had 2 IP from 6 players. Now i's 8. This is HUGE and unbalanced.

In FFA the main problem is people joining late... So you begin at 6 with 1 IP then people joins you're like 10 vs 10 with 1 IP...

Fun fact : there's already a 2 IP mod out there...
  • ThomasNSThomasNS Join Date: 2011-02-19 Member: 82484Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Thanks guys, I love your hard working effort with this great game, keep up the good work.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The Machine Gun is getting some needed love this update. The Commander is no longer required to research it separately after upgrading to an Advanced Armory

THEY CALLED ME CRAZY! I TOLD YOU! I TOLD YOU ALL!

Prototype Lab build time
    Fixed that the build time was 8 instead of the intended 23 seconds.

Wait what?

Nice update, digging the marine commander skins, not sure about the alien ones. Too green.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Zavaro wrote: »
    Xale wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »

As I remember well in NS1 you had 2 IP from 6 players. Now i's 8. This is HUGE and unbalanced.

I think in NS1 you didn't start with any IPs and had to build them with your starting resources. It's been a while, though.

^this
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Noice!

I have my doubts about the buffing of hmgs, especially the weight part, but we'll see!
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Hey community, thanks for reporting that the new NSL lowlights for Descent are too bright. I'm working on a fix as we speak. Thanks for the expediency in feedback!
  • WebtranceWebtrance US Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189165Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    HMG's are op. Period. First time I ever raged quit and you know what...it was a developer/team (rant) who made me rage, killing my onos at the hive. Before that it was less than a rifle mag and not even a full HMG mag killing an onos. Sorry for the colorful words rant. ;( Again, first time ever raging...will not play aliens ever again until we have some balance with the HMG. I am so annoyed it's not even funny. As a matter of fact, I may just be done with this game. Sad.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited October 2018
    Webtrance wrote: »
    HMG's are op. Period. First time I ever raged quit and you know what...it was a developer/team (rant) who made me rage, killing my onos at the hive. Before that it was less than a rifle mag and not even a full HMG mag killing an onos. Sorry for the colorful words rant. ;( Again, first time ever raging...will not play aliens ever again until we have some balance with the HMG. I am so annoyed it's not even funny. As a matter of fact, I may just be done with this game. Sad.

I totally understand, that was pretty dirty on my part. On one hand, I think it's SUPER exciting to have a potential alternative to the SG - if you really think about the power of an SG, would it's equal/alternative feel "balanced" to you at first? Veil is also an extremely good map for MG/JP combos and if you don't get support/cover from your teammates as an onos, a single MG/JP can chase/lawnmower you down from relatively high health if left unharassed. MG/JP is also super dangerous for pinching lifeforms.

On the other hand, it is of course a new change and could very well be a little overtuned, I'll definitely be looking forward to what people think after they've seen it for a week or two. It could also be that MG&JP energy consumption (the weight change) is too lenient allowing for those crazy chases (flashbacks to NS1 HMG/JPs).
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited October 2018
    Well, didnt even have to play the game to predict that...
    Reducing the costs are fine, but the dps increase + weight reduction combo is ludicrous.

EDIT: yes, onos chases in ns1 were enticing, but to disregard all the balancing in ns2 so marines can pwn the highest lifeform in 10 seconds is unprofessional:P
    I could live with this change if you guys PREACTIVELY buffed the aliens in some way, so they can counter this.

Khhmm... sticky webs maybe? Like in ns1?
  • DoppyDoppy Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58624Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Lets make HMGs cheaper, cause more damage, and weigh less LOL Good joke guys, now where are the real patch notes?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Please hotfix the damage directional indicators.. they're insanely distracting
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Wait, so the MG used to effectively have on weapon upgrade more than the rifle, right? Does it have two now?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2018
    Frozen wrote: »

You are not the first to report this "issue". However that change is part of a mod that some servers use (see https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1116917228) . So not much we can do.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited October 2018
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Wait, so the MG used to effectively have on weapon upgrade more than the rifle, right? Does it have two now?
    Disregarding clip size and reloading, the MG seems to be between 3.5 to 4.55 more weapon upgrades than the LMG vs. players. It depends on the weapon upgrade. Assuming the info on the wiki is correct:

W0:
    LMG: 10 Dmg, 0.055s delay, 2.75s total fire time, 2.25s reload speed, 50 clip size, 200 ammo, 181.81 DPS.
    Shotgun: 17 x 10 Dmg, 0.72s delay, 4.32s total fire time, 2.35-5.5s reload speed, 6 clip size, 24 ammo, 236.1 DPS.
    MG: 9 Dmg, 0.055s delay, 6.875s total fire time, 5s reload speed, 125 clip size, 500 ammo, 150% dmg vs. players, 245.5 DPS vs. players, 163.63 DPS vs. structures.

W3:
    LMG: 13 Dmg, 0.055s delay, 2.75s total fire time, 2.25s reload speed, 50 clip size, 200 ammo, 236.36 DPS.
    Shotgun: 17 x 13 Dmg, 0.72s delay, 4.32s total fire time, 2.35-5.5s reload speed, 6 clip size, 24 ammo, 306.94 DPS.
    MG: 11.7 Dmg, 0.055s delay, 6.875s total fire time, 5s reload speed, 125 clip size, 500 ammo, 150% dmg vs. players, 319.09 DPS vs. players, 212.72 DPS vs. structures.

The problem is that I don't know when damage is rounded--before or after the puncture damage modifier. If it's rounded down, W0 MG would be 9 * 1.5 = 13.5 damage rounded down to 13, resulting in 236.36 DPS vs. players, which is much closer to W0 shotgun. Disregarding rounding, here are the weapon upgrade differences vs. players:

W0 LMG (10) vs. W0 MG (13.5): 3.5 weapon upgrades
    W1 LMG (11) vs. W1 MG (14.85): 3.85 weapon upgrades
    W2 LMG (12) vs. W2 MG (16.2): 4.2 weapon upgrades
    W3 LMG (13) vs. W3 MG (17.55): 4.55 weapon upgrades
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue

You are not the first to report this "issue". However that change is part of a mod that some servers use (see https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1116917228) . So not much we can do.

Well, you can talk to me. Literally the first time I heard any noise about it was yesterday and it's been there for 6+ months.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    has anyone else noticed massive performance improvement? game is like butter now, just fkn delicious m8s

Yuuuup. That's the change from Matso that fixed input handling. If your framerate was low, mouse movements would sometimes be dropped due to a bug in the underlying library.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    moultano wrote: »
    has anyone else noticed massive performance improvement? game is like butter now, just fkn delicious m8s

Yuuuup. That's the change from Matso that fixed input handling. If your framerate was low, mouse movements would sometimes be dropped due to a bug in the underlying library.

My framerates are >100 and I've felt that inputs are less laggy and closer to other first person shooters.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Nintendows wrote: »

Well, you can talk to me. Literally the first time I heard any noise about it was yesterday and it's been there for 6+ months.

So it's a normal example of someone breaking your mod. Whether its been there for 6 months or 2 days, it's awful now for whatever reason starting 1 day ago at build 325. Please fix it, get rid of it, or make it an option.