Coop or multiplayer in Subnautica? I'm afraid not.

Comments

• gilius76gilius76 France Join Date: 2018-10-07 Member: 244019Members
    Hey,
    I'm going to use a translation software because there are too many details to provide and I do not have the capacity, but see you, the problem is not that the game did not do for the multiplayer on the contrary, it is made for, and it is possible to do, this mod proves it.
    Simply there is a major problem in the world of multiplayer (except mmo which makes them hideous level realism) is the action. If the player 1 does an action in world of warcraft, the player 2 will be able to do it, in subnautica, if the player 1 makes an action triggering a radio call, the two players will also receive this call and will not be able to do this action since it will have already been done, the ship did not explode two time! That's why Halo for example (but it was simple it's an FPS!) and the story is one-sided, so during each important action the missing player was teleported.
    except that we can not do that in subnautica .. you imagine the players 2 built his base player 1 by exploration and teleported paf? error.
    and the fact that the player 1 can do actions without the players two is also an error in the fact that subnautica is also an open world with the farm, the craft, the build ...
    And so the most common possibility would be to make a zone of limitation between the players 1 and 2 (like ARK and CONAN) the made of limited the zones it is on this would be more difficult level exploration and farm, but contrary to ARK and CONAN who are very vague, so much possibility, the ability to build a base to two and do the exploration to two will not be a torture (while ARK was really difficult to do with this barrier) because subnautica used when even a logical continuation, we explore a point A which makes us discover a point B then C etc etc ..
    On the other hand unlike ARK and CONAN it would be necessary that the barrier is permanent, because unlike them (since everything respawn even the missions, a little has the style of a mmo, them that does not pose any problems) Subnautica him not may not reactualize the action, I confess it would need to change the whole game and make it less well
  • Jeko93Jeko93 italy Join Date: 2018-10-08 Member: 244036Members
    Any official response? There is the noxus mod out there, why dev are not implementing to CO-OP? This game will be so much better
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Jeko93 wrote: »
    Any official response? There is the noxus mod out there, why dev are not implementing to CO-OP? This game will be so much better

You legit commenting on the official response.
  • Jeko93Jeko93 italy Join Date: 2018-10-08 Member: 244036Members
    Hadn't time to read 14 pages of comments. But If i'm right there will be never a co-op. So i guess noxus's dev team did the right thing. So sad.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Jeko93 wrote: »
    Hadn't time to read 14 pages of comments. But If i'm right there will be never a co-op. So i guess noxus's dev team did the right thing. So sad.

The devs do not want to go through the entire game and sync everything, a challenge the multiple developers working on the Nitrox mod have been working on over the last, what, two years now?

It's highly difficult to figure this out, adding multiplayer, and the devs were much more focused on other things to do such a thing.

For those reading this, the Nitrox Mod is being worked on at the Subnautica Modding Discord, which can be found at:

https://discord.gg/jxXDSQJ

Just as a side note, please don't bug them too much. They're working on it, I swear.
  • raketerakete Join Date: 2018-10-19 Member: 244221Members
    edited October 2018
    Yoinks, I'd like coop too. And I needed to make a post...
  • DataHogDataHog United States Join Date: 2018-10-20 Member: 244244Members
    I like the Idea of Multiplayer but if Unknown Worlds doesn't want to do it that's fine. A second dev team that is in "cahoots" with UWE can make this thing. Great Game UWE.

This Game will always hold a place in my Heart.
  • stormtr00per10stormtr00per10 California Join Date: 2018-11-03 Member: 244510Members
    Please please can you guys add multiplayer. Your game would be 100 times better than it is right now. If you guys want success make it at least 2 player. Right now it isn’t that popular. 2 player would make your game famous.
    Please please can you guys add multiplayer. Your game would be 100 times better than it is right now. If you guys want success make it at least 2 player. Right now it isn’t that popular. 2 player would make your game famous.

Read the title of the article your commenting on.

Does nobody get it?

It's a no.

If you want multiplayer, play with the Nitrox mod. It's too much effort to make it multiplayer.

Also, what do you mean it's not that popular? Subnautica is in the top 30 games of 2018. If that's not popular, then something is wrong.
  • neckroneckro Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236685Members

If you want multiplayer, play with the Nitrox mod. It's too much effort to make it multiplayer.

Say what???!! This game is NOT freeware, and if this game is not made only for commercial revenue, the developers should look more close on players demands.
    Is not normal that some dudes who love this game to spare so many time for free to make it multiplayer, instead for developers.
    In Unity, is not like you must write the entire code for the game to transform it into multiplayer, but that`s happens when you only goal is to make money!
    And NO, i`m not interest in ANY developer reply on my comment!
    edited November 2018
    Time to break down your argument and explain my reasoning.
    neckro wrote: »
    Say what???!! This game is NOT freeware, and if this game is not made only for commercial revenue, the developers should look more close on players demands.

So you assume a game should stray from its original gameplay to supply to a small portion of the subnautica community? The devs are not obligated to supply every single demand of them. They made the game how they wanted, the game does not revolve around the player. The player plays the game if they like the way it was made. If you do not like how the game has no multiplayer, you can download the mod or realize that the game is tailored around how the devs wanted, not how you specifically want it.

Oh, right, and the freeware idea makes no sense. Just because it costs money doesn't mean the game must mold into what the player wants. The game rather should form by the ideas of the devs, and players must follow them on that path.
    Is not normal that some dudes who love this game to spare so many time for free to make it multiplayer, instead for developers.

Have you ever used the Steam Workshop? Consider Gmod, a game where players pour hours into creating models, mods, weapons, tools, and tons more for others. They do it for free. That game is meant to be a place where modders can share their creations and ideas with others and download others for themselves.

They do it all for free. So it actually is quite normal for random people to make free mods. I can name off tons of games that go with this. Counter Strike, Fallout Four, Garry's Mod, Natural Selection 2, and Half Life are just a few. Subnautica is in this category, as the Nexus is full of free mods people have made for the game.

As for the idea that they shouldn't be making it, the devs should? As I said above, the developers are entitled to making the game they like, not forming the game into what others like. That's why modders exist, to form the game into the fans ideas. Any developer can make a game how they want, but if people want a feature and it won't get added, a modder may just add said feature.
    In Unity, is not like you must write the entire code for the game to transform it into multiplayer, but that`s happens when you only goal is to make money!

Actually, you do have to write the entire code. One of the main reasons the devs didn't want to add multiplayer, as they said on the thread you commented on, multiplayer would require they spend hours re-writing and re-doing code so it could sync among a group of players. That involves re-writing every animation, poisiton, sound, and script. That would take years, and years its take. The mod has been in development for over a year or two now, meaning they've spent forever syncing all the animations up and setting it in the way the devs didn't feel.

Also, how does making money affect all of this? You assume that if they make money, they should do anything the player demands. This is a horrible idea. The devs made the game they want, and you paid for that way. Features may not be added, but that's not their fault. If you purchased the game, you purchased both the base game, which the devs have made into their vision, and you purchased access to the mods.
    And NO, i`m not interest in ANY developer reply on my comment!

You commented on a developer thread and demand no developer replies? It's not like they will anyways. They never respond to arguments here. Rather, I'm really the only one still telling people off for demanding multiplayer.

Overall, your argument seems a bit flawed and self-centered. You belive the game is made for the player, which it is, but you assume it in a more selfish way. The game was made by the devs, so they decide what gets in or not. You paid to play what the developers wanted, not so that you could mold the game into your vision. Either download the mod, or realize you must follow the path of the developers, not your own.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I sometimes comment on the uninformed requesters here too, anomaly. :)

This isn't even about whether the developers wanted to make it multiplayer or not - they did consider the idea at one point. The small team of developers decided it was not possible with the time/money demands they had. They may also have felt it didn't fit with the story they had made.

Modding teams have some major advantages, which is why they sometimes come to the rescue:
    1. Free coders and testers.
    2. Fewer time limits (they have still had people pestering).
    3. No set budget limit(since the main cost is personal time) nor investors to please.
    4. Anything that doesn't work quite right or quite make sense to the story, they can say the game was designed that way.
  • OsqaiHDOsqaiHD France Join Date: 2018-12-15 Member: 245882Members
    Hello, please create multiplayer update :smile:
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited December 2018
  • BriteBrite Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 245965Members
    We don't want an MMO, we want 1-4 player coop. It would ruin the game if a bunch of randoms are running around exploring the map, and in no way would it be lore-friendly. However, if we ever want to play with a couple of friends, it would be a much more enjoyable experience.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    OsqaiHD wrote: »
    Hello, please create multiplayer update :smile:
    Brite wrote: »
    We don't want an MMO, we want 1-4 player coop. It would ruin the game if a bunch of randoms are running around exploring the map, and in no way would it be lore-friendly. However, if we ever want to play with a couple of friends, it would be a much more enjoyable experience.

Y'all are lucky that DaveNY isn't here anymore, or there would be some harsh words for you two.

But, either way,

pepzr1aa9alo.jpg
  • DaniSoulBlackDaniSoulBlack Spain Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 246019Members
    This is so sad, the game would be really funny with a friend
  • TinkickerTinkicker Join Date: 2018-12-28 Member: 247456Members
    A game about a person discovering a world is naturally going to be single player. That's exactly why I bought SubNautica in the first place. Why does everyone feel it's so important to display every little thing they do, think or say to someone else in a game? Social media is bogged down well enough with useless minutiae, I don't want my games where I go to escape from real life to be just as static-filled. I do not get why multiplayer is so important or desired that it would be a dealbreaker in a game.

It's a breath of fresh air to not have to deal with it. Thank you devs. Eternal supporter here.
  • mahonimahoni Sydney, Australia Join Date: 2019-01-02 Member: 247804Members
    Regardless of how good the thought coop would be, I'm about 20 hours in and don't want to stop.

Thanks to the devs for this piece of artwork. I don't want it to end.
  • ArachiaArachia Join Date: 2019-01-03 Member: 247897Members
    edited January 2019
    Sorry to disagree with all the multiplayer NAYs here but Co-Op IS coming to Subnautica and actually IS possible NOW from a mod that is currently being developed.
    Look at nexusmods under subnautica for mod #159 Nitrox - Multiplayer Mod
    You can use this with a bit of work. It is NOT a straight install AT THIS POINT. Is in alpha to beta stage. so whether the Devs want this game to become co-op, multiplayer, or just stay single player for those that want co-op it is possible and will becoming more so soon.
  • shadowwraithshadowwraith Scotland Join Date: 2018-12-31 Member: 247691Members
    This game is mean't to be a singleplayer survival game where the player is the ONLY survivor, adding MP would ruin that immersion. Not every game needs tacked-on MP, that includes subnautica.
  • shadowwraithshadowwraith Scotland Join Date: 2018-12-31 Member: 247691Members
    Arachia wrote: »
    Sorry to disagree with all the multiplayer NAYs here but Co-Op IS coming to Subnautica and actually IS possible NOW from a mod that is currently being developed.
    Look at nexusmods under subnautica for mod #159 Nitrox - Multiplayer Mod
    You can use this with a bit of work. It is NOT a straight install AT THIS POINT. Is in alpha to beta stage. so whether the Devs want this game to become co-op, multiplayer, or just stay single player for those that want co-op it is possible and will becoming more so soon.

your only speaking from a pc perspective, console versions cannot use mods and adding MP to the game would also add a XBL Gold/psplus subscription requirement to the game.
  • SpencerFSpencerF Winter Park, FL Join Date: 2019-01-05 Member: 248112Members
    The problem I see throughout the harsh singleplayer games is that there is little in terms of multiplayer variability. When I played Minecraft, Terraria, and Starbound, I always faced the reality that the game runs exactly the same for every person and that there really is no way of giving such a unique experience in the game without revolving on team communication and goals. Some games have taken it upon themselves to add some NPCs that essentially add these quests to add more motivation to the game altogether. I enjoy the concept of interacting with the AI in the game to realize what it is I should be working towards, however I know that the naked experience is the same to all players. Without acknowledging the need for social dynamics in the game, all I have is a very beautiful and intricate single player game. Although this has never been a bad thing, it also brings to light the problem of adding to the game to continue to generate new iterations of experience and then continue to evolve the game towards the most fun game to experience as a single player game.
  • AWG_YTAWG_YT Massachusetts Join Date: 2019-01-06 Member: 248217Members
    edited January 2019
    Developer Why dont you add a multiplayer mode and make it a story mode freedom or creative just put the same data from solo but make it for each person in mult. Aswelll you should add with coop mode when you blast off there should be two different choices. The First Would be add other alien planets with different creatures and machines and they are pitstops to get to earth. The Second would be fly to earth and wint he game. Also a lot of people were telling me they would buy your game if it ad coop your sales on this game will blow up if you do. My Best Regards,
    AWG_YT and others. Thank you for the game and if you read this put it into consideration. Also make it online and local if possible. Thanks for the great game!
  • ChoijzChoijz Sweden Join Date: 2019-01-12 Member: 248601Members
    Well had you made it Coop maybe i would have bought the game, just like The Forest i played the Beta and i loved it, although i didnt buy it untill they made it CooP, same goes for Subnautica. I think you lost alot of people by not listening to the users.

Subnatica is a good game, but we miss our CooP games.

The Forest made it, and they did great!
    So why cant you?
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Because the main point of the game is about being alone not with friends
  • mahonimahoni Sydney, Australia Join Date: 2019-01-02 Member: 247804Members
    If they keep "listening to users" it might not be the original game it was meant to be.

Let them create their vision and just enjoy it.
  • Lolz23Lolz23 United Kingdom Join Date: 2018-11-10 Member: 244617Members
    Yes, Multiplayer won't be in Below Zero or Subnautica but you could install a multiplayer mod from a website if you are on pc.
  • layzorclayzorc Join Date: 2011-06-18 Member: 105198Members
    Flayra wrote: »
    ... A game where one person is piloting the sub, another person is poring over readouts and computers, another is repairing the engines and yet another is radioing for help in a dark biome, where their Seamoth is almost out of juice. We would love to play that game...

I think you are overthinking it to try and persuade us not to want multiplayer. All we really want is to enjoy the story and adventure with a friend. If I play with a handicap friend he can just follow and keep me company while I do all the work piloting the sub, recharging the batteries, putting food on the table... heck, who needs to pour over the computer files if you just add good voice acting and story telling that way disabled can enjoy the game too. My point is you don't need to add multiplayer coop mechanics, just add the ability to network in a persistent open world adventure game. Even modders are doing the job Unknown Worlds could have done and even gone back to polish the bugs in Subnautica before starting a sequel.
  • AndrosJr69AndrosJr69 Greece Join Date: 2019-02-20 Member: 251134Members
    As expected but do please consider for future games! One thing that makes an awesome game even better is co-op, everything is more fun with some company.