Trello Card about Pipes in the Expansion...

RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
https://trello.com/c/DSG6e9Jg/602-cut-non-essential-tech

It's worded a bit confusingly; either (A) it's referring to cutting starter blueprints, or (B) they're removing these entirely.

I'd be just a smidge sad to see Pipes go, after the fun I had with the new-and-improved Pipes and getting to the bottom of the Blood Kelp Trench with them (Albeit with hours of farming Titanium and nearly dying to Warpers and a Crabsquid several times). However, the wording here says 'non-essential'. With the increased focus on land gameplay and possible new additions to the game, Pipes might not be as useful as they used to be.

With that being said, I'd like to see them be kept if at all possible - but I'd fully understand if the team feels they're better off being removed. There'd be ice sheets and such limiting potential deployment locations unlike the base game for example. What about you guys? What are your thoughts on Pipes staying or leaving for the frigid expansion of Subnautica?

Comments

• BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    edited October 2018
    Sounds to me they're listing all techs they mean to cut from those they're importing from the old game.

Me I'd quite like to see them kept ... if these are given good reasons for players needing to use them. For example:
    a) In an early game scenario where the blueprints for air-tanks need to be retrieved from below safe freediving depth (or perhaps too horizontally distant from the first air hole found in the ice sheet).
    b) Purging flooded caves to access otherwise unavailable treasures. I'm thinking of watertight lockers that can't be opened under water pressure.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    C'mon guys,
    Pipes may be fun, but they are by no means required. Personally, I've only built them a couple of times.
    Bear in mind that the devs might have statistics on what blueprints are crafted the most by players.

Below Zero should have early access, by then players will have more interaction on what's being developed, why/how it works and even some say in it.
    I'm thinking about avoiding it (and the forum) if I can, to minimize spoilers.

Subnautica was a master piece and I believe I would have enjoyed it much, very much, more if I had played it in one go.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    C'mon guys,
    Pipes may be fun, but they are by no means required. Personally, I've only built them a couple of times.
    Bear in mind that the devs might have statistics on what blueprints are crafted the most by players.

Below Zero should have early access, by then players will have more interaction on what's being developed, why/how it works and even some say in it.

Subnautica was a master piece and I believe I would have enjoyed it much, very much, more if I had played it in one go.

I have some play throughs were I don't touch them, and other times I do. They're fun but they're not limited in use since the whole ocean is accessible to us - with the expansion there's going to be ice on the surface blocking where they can be placed, which I feel is a large factor here in deciding if they stay or leave. How useful they'd be for a player, whether or not a majority uses it or not.

Like the Gravsphere/Trap in the base game probably isn't used that often, but it can be useful - especially for trapping fish in the early game or limiting Bleeder/Biter attacks while you harvest things or build a base. Similarly, I see more people using Reinforcements for their base than Bulkheads, and I imagine few people bother to use Flares or the Pathfinder. They all have their uses, but they aren't used often.

edited October 2018
    IMHO this is an example where a perfectly good piece of game mechanic became redundant because little in the way of accompanying game scenarios was designed to support it.

Hope that doesn't sound judgmental. I get that they must have a continuous flow through of staff, so there are ideas that don't get fully played out.
  • RowletAlexRowletAlex Eleventy-seven Nonexistent Street, Nowhereville, Outer Space. Join Date: 2018-03-16 Member: 239126Members
    Meh, I don’t recall having ever used pipes at all. They’re good for a rather short time (mostly irrelevant once you obtain a seaglide/moth) and I suppose it could remove the suspense from a shallow but long underwater tunnel through the ice sheets. In any case, I won’t miss them.
    edited October 2018
    RowletAlex wrote: »
    Meh, I don’t recall having ever used pipes at all. They’re good for a rather short time (mostly irrelevant once you obtain a seaglide/moth) .... In any case, I won’t miss them.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. No scenario was ever built in to make them seem a worthwhile option.
    Rezca wrote: »
    C'mon guys,

I have some play throughs were I don't touch them, and other times I do. They're fun but they're not limited in use since the whole ocean is accessible to us - with the expansion there's going to be ice on the surface blocking where they can be placed, which I feel is a large factor here in deciding if they stay or leave. How useful they'd be for a player, whether or not a majority uses it or not.

Like the Gravsphere/Trap in the base game probably isn't used that often, but it can be useful - especially for trapping fish in the early game or limiting Bleeder/Biter attacks while you harvest things or build a base. Similarly, I see more people using Reinforcements for their base than Bulkheads, and I imagine few people bother to use Flares or the Pathfinder. They all have their uses, but they aren't used often.

Agreed,
    I don't think the gravsphere is worth the inventory space anymore. Back when drilling with the PRAWN meant having to gather the pieces by hand, I used to place a gravsphere below the ore. Early fishing should be cool if the player has a hard time catching them (usually novice players).
    Interesting they mentioned cutting out bleach though.
    Rezca wrote: »
    C'mon guys,

Agreed,
    I don't think the gravsphere is worth the inventory space anymore. Back when drilling with the PRAWN meant having to gather the pieces by hand, I used to place a gravsphere below the ore. Early fishing should be cool if the player has a hard time catching them (usually novice players).

I still have issues catching fish at times, I'll admit it xD I think the Gravsphere would be more useful for early game fishing if it also slowed the fish down rather than simply limiting their range of movement. But you're right in that if you've got catching fish nailed down, then it's largely irrelevant.

BlueBottle wrote: »
    Interesting they mentioned cutting out bleach though.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I mean right now it's just for one water type, since they took it out of the first aid kit recipe. Maybe there'll be a new recipe in Below Zero replacing the Bleach?
    Yeah, maybe there's no acid shrooms or coral in that ice bucket.
  • RowletAlexRowletAlex Eleventy-seven Nonexistent Street, Nowhereville, Outer Space. Join Date: 2018-03-16 Member: 239126Members
    I’m thinking those blue swirly mushrooms are replacing acid mushrooms, but I did see a single acid mushroom in a developer vid so I may be wrong. I expect they’ll have some replacement for bleach as well, if they’re keeping disinfected water at all.
    Yeah, maybe there's no acid shrooms or coral in that ice bucket.

There'll probably be a replacement for the Acid Mushrooms, serving the same purpose perhaps but not the same species (Ala 'Ice Peeper' vs 'Peeper') but I can see Coral going.
    RowletAlex wrote: »
    I’m thinking those blue swirly mushrooms are replacing acid mushrooms, but I did see a single acid mushroom in a developer vid so I may be wrong. I expect they’ll have some replacement for bleach as well, if they’re keeping disinfected water at all.

Could be a placeholder, but yeah I expect it to have an Arctic Variant rather than the tropical one we're familiarwwith.
    I do not know why they are cutting out bleach, but it has suffered quite a few criticisms regarding immersion before. Bleach purifies water, but it doesn't desalinize it.

I'm betting the main reason for removing bleach is that ice should make water readily available at the surface. When water freezes the salt is excluded from the ice. All it should take is some power to boil it.
    .... When water freezes the salt is excluded from the ice....

Really? I didn't know that (not much ice round around here). I wonder it that makes for noticeable haloclines (salty layers) beneath the ice? Although I guess we got plenty already with the Lost River.

numfzde6y32u.png

qa81a8adaydb.jpg

r6df1mxngtaj.jpg

.... When water freezes the salt is excluded from the ice....

Really? I didn't know that (not much ice round around here). I wonder it that makes for noticeable haloclines (salty layers) beneath the ice? Although I guess we got plenty already with the Lost River.

numfzde6y32u.png

qa81a8adaydb.jpg

r6df1mxngtaj.jpg

I get you, we barely have any ice or snow around here either. It probably does not form haloclines, at least not near the surface. This process should produce very dense water, which sinks and is incorporated by the bottom water masses.
    We should get haloclines when the ice melts though.

One thing I find really cool about sea ice, is that some salt gets trapped inside ice layers in the form of brine (very salty water). We can have photosynthetic algae living inside the ice, in these pools. And when that brine is finally excluded from the ice cap, it makes for some very interesting phenomena.
    The water can get extremely dense through sheer salt content, so it sinks fast. It can also get very cold, to the point of freezing the surrounding water as it sinks.
    I already posted this around here somewhere, but I'm linking it again for awesomeness sake.
    Wow brine-acles. I seem to remember seeing something like that in the concept art, but can't seem to find it in the wiki.

If so, I wonder if these might also flow over the seafloor like that to trap the feet of blundering PRAWN suit? That would raise a curse if you'd left your drill-arm back home in the cupboard.