RuneStorm's Mapping Resources

RuneStormRuneStorm Community Developer and shader wizard Join Date: 2018-07-30 Member: 242554Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
edited June 2019 in Mapping
xjh8cr8ep2fq.png

I don't think I have to waste your time explaining what this is. I write shaders and make assets, here's a bunch of it.

If you have any questions or need help, feel free to message me on discord! My discord tag is RuneStorm#6948
More stuff will be added in replies to this topic, make sure to scroll down for additional stuff!
You can freely use these assets in any way you want, you may also modify them. You don't even have to credit me, it's nice if you do, but it's not required.

Got requests? Message me on discord. I'll gladly help out with any shader related black magic you might need!

z1p8aoa678cz.png

WastefulAmbitiousGoldfinch-size_restricted.gif

This shader is now officially part of the game, you do not require to include the .surface_shader anymore!
An advanced version of the shader is now located here: Natural Selection 2\ns2\materials\unearthed\unearthed_goop.surface_shader

This surface_shader allows the use of flowmaps in NS2, useful for the organic/natural flow of rivers or other fluids, can be used in a lot of ways to create turbulence and movement without having to rely on simple panning textures.
The current version only supports a simple albedo but I plan on creating several version of this that support the full feature set, including water distortions.

Note: Please use the texture scale tool to scale the material up, ideally it should be as large as the entire surface so that the flowmap matches the entire surface, this makes editing much easier.

Installation instructions: Place the contents of flowmapper_v1.zip in your mods source folder (Open launchpad, select your mod and then click on source, place it there)

Parameter explanation

• FlowmapNoise = "materials\RS\VFX\t_lowresnoise.dds" No need to change this as it is used for increasing the quality of the blend
  • SurfaceTexture = "materials\RS\VFX\t_surfacewater.dds" Change this to whatever texture you want distorted
  • FlowmapTexture = "materials\RS\VFX\t_flowmapexample.dds" This texture defines in what direction the SurfaceTexture should be pushed, if you don't know how to make one of these, google search for "Flowmap painter" you should find software that can assist you in the creation of flowmaps
  • FlowSpeed = .25 How fast the distortion moves, higher values = more speedy
  • SurfaceScale = .25 This value actually defines how large the visible texture itself is, since the flowmap needs to be scaled to match the total surface size this prevents any headaches with tiny or massively scaled textures

lfo9kcjnc99i.png

BoilingColdChick-size_restricted.gif

Let's be honest here, the default lava that NS2 ships with isn't that great, and since when is lava transparent? Artistic choice or not, it looks like radioactive orange juice.
I decided to write a new shader from scratch using the same textures that were used by the default lava.
This version is much more versatile and customizable while still being as lightweight as possible.

Installation instructions: Place the contents of properlava_v1.zip in your mods source folder (Open launchpad, select your mod and then click on source, place it there)

Parameter explanation

• LavaTexture = "materials/effects/mesh_effects/waterfall_tile_01.dds" what texture the lava should use, try to keep this a greyscale
  • NoiseTexture = "materials/effects/mesh_effects/fire_tile_01.dds" the noise texture is used to blend between different lava textures to reduce visible tiling
  • SurfaceTint = [1,.1,0] a decimal RGB color that is used for tinting of the lava texture, if you want blue lava, just change it to [0,0,1] you get the idea
  • SurfaceTintDark = [.1,.1,0] the base color the lava should have, this prevents pure black spots from appearing
  • GlowIntensity = 4 pretty self explanatory, lower values mean less glow
  • ScrollSpeedMultiplier = .5 How quick the lava should move, higher values mean more pompeii
  • WaveIntensity = 0.05 This defines how much the surface should bob up and down, to disable the bobbing entirely set this to 0

Made with love
-RuneStorm

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    OK.... that flow mapper is simply amazing.. well done
  • RuneStormRuneStorm Community Developer and shader wizard Join Date: 2018-07-30 Member: 242554Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    I'm currently working on a new water shader and I might implement a Blackbody shader for particles, but I'm not sure if there's any interest for it. If there is any shader or effect that could be useful for mappers let me know and I could work on it.
  • RuneStormRuneStorm Community Developer and shader wizard Join Date: 2018-07-30 Member: 242554Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited June 2019
    vy2y3e8o07ih.png

This is a free to use collection of gobos, for additional information on how to use or why you should use them, check out this thread

This pack is now officially part of the game, you no longer have to download this!
    The collection is now located here: Natural Selection 2\ns2\materials\gobos

V2 Content
    coupttfzx8vl.jpg

a5isn0stoguz.jpg

Here are some in-map image references

Installation instructions: Place the contents of gobos_pSyk_v1.zip in your mods source folder (Open launchpad, select your mod and then click on source, place it there)

Thanks to pSyk0mAn for permission to re-create his gobos from scratch.