Unity question to the devs.

AmadeoneAmadeone YES Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230194Members
I have a quick question. In Subnautica, when the player uses something stationary, he first moves to the specific position. And here's the question: Have you done it by something like Mathf.SmoothStep for the position and rotation, or there's a build-in Unity function to do it. I can't find it on the Internet, or I can't just search.

Comments

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    They probably use an animation and set the player position and rotation in the animation.
  • AmadeoneAmadeone YES Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230194Members
    Recursion wrote: »
    They probably use an animation and set the player position and rotation in the animation.

Maybe.
  • gold_nova_66gold_nova_66 North America Join Date: 2018-08-13 Member: 242822Members
    I just started getting a error message that says “illegal rep length code” and I’ve been getting it for 3 days now I’m not able to load my world that I’ve spent 11 hours on.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Sounds like a LERP(linear interpolation) or SLERP(spherical linear interpolation) could be involved somewhere, I'd suggest looking them up if you aren't already familiar. If Unity doesn't have them by default they're not hard functions to create yourself and it's really handy to know how they work due to the near limitless applications they have.

And just as a reminder, LERPs are not to be used for rotations, that's what SLERPs are for.
    pie1055 wrote: »
    Sounds like a LERP(linear interpolation) or SLERP(spherical linear interpolation) could be involved somewhere, I'd suggest looking them up if you aren't already familiar. If Unity doesn't have them by default they're not hard functions to create yourself and it's really handy to know how they work due to the near limitless applications they have.

And just as a reminder, LERPs are not to be used for rotations, that's what SLERPs are for.

I know. I sometimes use them, but not often. Gut thanks nonetheless.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    edited August 2018
    Hey @Amadeone. Do I detect a potential mod refining controls for the Seamoth? Maybe even adding roll-control??

Looking to do this I extracted the code, but sadly it was beyond me. Sure, Unity's compression doesn't encrypt the code, but it removes most all the formatting, so you're left looking through an impenetrable lump of code. Hmm... seems that modding can be tougher than making in some ways. Well, at least for mortals.
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    Hey @Amadeone. Do I detect a potential mod refining controls for the Seamoth? Maybe even adding roll-control??

Looking to do this I extracted the code, but sadly it was beyond me. Sure, Unity's compression doesn't encrypt the code, but it removes most all the formatting, so you're left looking through an impenetrable lump of code. Hmm... seems that modding can be tougher than making in some ways. Well, at least for mortals.

I have no idea. I don't know, how to mod games. I was asking, 'cause I'd like to do something similar.
    edited August 2018
    @Amadeone

Oh ok. You may want to check out the Unity website. You can down load most of it free, along with lots of free video tutorials for making all kinds of games (not sure if they have ones for FPS). Takes a lot of patience though, but it sounds like you've got some background. As for rotation, it seems they favour using quaternions are over Euler angles - so as to prevent gimbal lock.
    @BlueBottle

I'd recommend Brackeys, if you're using Unity. He makes very good tutorials.
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    Thanks

No Problem!