Unity question to the devs.

AmadeoneAmadeone YESMembers Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230194Posts: 51 Advanced user
I have a quick question. In Subnautica, when the player uses something stationary, he first moves to the specific position. And here's the question: Have you done it by something like Mathf.SmoothStep for the position and rotation, or there's a build-in Unity function to do it. I can't find it on the Internet, or I can't just search.

Comments

  • RecursionRecursion The cosmosMembers Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Posts: 481 Advanced user
    They probably use an animation and set the player position and rotation in the animation.
    I'm a stupid person who makes stupid games and constantly self-deprecates his stupid life because he's a stupid idiot.

    Yeah, I'm a bit messed up.
  • AmadeoneAmadeone YESMembers Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230194Posts: 51 Advanced user
    Recursion wrote: »
    They probably use an animation and set the player position and rotation in the animation.

    Maybe.
  • gold_nova_66gold_nova_66 North America Members Join Date: 2018-08-13 Member: 242822Posts: 3 Fully active user
    I just started getting a error message that says “illegal rep length code” and I’ve been getting it for 3 days now I’m not able to load my world that I’ve spent 11 hours on.
  • pie1055pie1055 Members Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Posts: 133 Advanced user
    Sounds like a LERP(linear interpolation) or SLERP(spherical linear interpolation) could be involved somewhere, I'd suggest looking them up if you aren't already familiar. If Unity doesn't have them by default they're not hard functions to create yourself and it's really handy to know how they work due to the near limitless applications they have.

    And just as a reminder, LERPs are not to be used for rotations, that's what SLERPs are for.
  • AmadeoneAmadeone YESMembers Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230194Posts: 51 Advanced user
    pie1055 wrote: »
    Sounds like a LERP(linear interpolation) or SLERP(spherical linear interpolation) could be involved somewhere, I'd suggest looking them up if you aren't already familiar. If Unity doesn't have them by default they're not hard functions to create yourself and it's really handy to know how they work due to the near limitless applications they have.

    And just as a reminder, LERPs are not to be used for rotations, that's what SLERPs are for.

    I know. I sometimes use them, but not often. Gut thanks nonetheless.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle AustraliaMembers Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Posts: 344 Advanced user
    edited August 2018
    Hey @Amadeone. Do I detect a potential mod refining controls for the Seamoth? Maybe even adding roll-control??

    Looking to do this I extracted the code, but sadly it was beyond me. Sure, Unity's compression doesn't encrypt the code, but it removes most all the formatting, so you're left looking through an impenetrable lump of code. Hmm... seems that modding can be tougher than making in some ways. Well, at least for mortals.
    I've got my objections to the World, certainly. But I'll be very sorry to see it ruined.
  • AmadeoneAmadeone YESMembers Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230194Posts: 51 Advanced user
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    Hey @Amadeone. Do I detect a potential mod refining controls for the Seamoth? Maybe even adding roll-control??

    Looking to do this I extracted the code, but sadly it was beyond me. Sure, Unity's compression doesn't encrypt the code, but it removes most all the formatting, so you're left looking through an impenetrable lump of code. Hmm... seems that modding can be tougher than making in some ways. Well, at least for mortals.

    I have no idea. I don't know, how to mod games. I was asking, 'cause I'd like to do something similar.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle AustraliaMembers Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Posts: 344 Advanced user
    edited August 2018
    @Amadeone

    Oh ok. You may want to check out the Unity website. You can down load most of it free, along with lots of free video tutorials for making all kinds of games (not sure if they have ones for FPS). Takes a lot of patience though, but it sounds like you've got some background. As for rotation, it seems they favour using quaternions are over Euler angles - so as to prevent gimbal lock.
    I've got my objections to the World, certainly. But I'll be very sorry to see it ruined.
  • AmadeoneAmadeone YESMembers Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230194Posts: 51 Advanced user
    @BlueBottle

    I'd recommend Brackeys, if you're using Unity. He makes very good tutorials.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle AustraliaMembers Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Posts: 344 Advanced user
    Thanks
    I've got my objections to the World, certainly. But I'll be very sorry to see it ruined.
  • AmadeoneAmadeone YESMembers Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230194Posts: 51 Advanced user
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    Thanks

    No Problem!
Sign In or Register to comment.