Does the Arctic really have to be its own Game Mode? (Some spoilers)

2»

Comments

• MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    I think much of the confusion derives from the current "DLC" notion. It was announced as an expansion and nowadays most players expect expansions to display the same role as the smaller DLCs, only adding some content to the original game without modifying it too much. The point where it starts getting called an expansion is a little blurry (and that's what mercenary devs want, to keep us confused about the topic).

UWE could just announce it as a new game, but then there would be those complaining that it is the same and how they are trying to milk last that years title.
    There's no pleasing everyone, let's just wait and see what they come up with.
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members
    edited July 2018
    Obraxis wrote: »
    It was never built for open-world games

This question may have been answered elsewhere, but why Unity? Asked with respect, of course! I love this game. I'm just curious.

I mean, if it was never built for open-world games, why use it to make an open-world game?

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    It was never built for open-world games

This question may have been answered elsewhere, but why Unity? Asked with respect, of course! I love this game. I'm just curious.

I mean, if it was never built for open-world games, why use it to make an open-world game?

Unity was fast for us to build on, way back in 2014. We were able to get up and running fast, and develop the game fast. Other engines were not as mature at the time.

Now of course, it's a whole different ballgame.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Hi @Obraxis,

I was wondering the new game will be implementing the airlock system as seen the first game's concept art ?

eetouu5got2x.jpg
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    I was wondering the new game will be implementing the airlock system as seen the first game's concept art ?

Honestly, I hope not. It may be cool at first but with how much I go in and out of the habitat, it would quickly become annoying. To me.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Hoping for an answer from the Gods on this one .. before launching into another dialogue on this topic and possible game-modes etc.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    For one, I was terribly disappointed to find out that there'd be no interaction between the worlds, and that it put a serious crimp in my desire to get the DLC.

The solutions for map traversal @Rezca put forward seem both reasonable and relatively easy to implement. And while I'd like to see a way to traverse between the maps...I can't say I'm holding out hope for it.

There is a lot of miss-information in this thread. I'm afraid it's just not that easy to add anything significant to original Subnautica.

With Subnautica, we were right up against a number of hard technical limits of the Unity engine. It was never built for open-world games and has some technical limitations on assets which we worked very hard to get around. So much so we had a 'counter' internally which would warn us when we went over the limit(s), at which point the game & engine would visually explode.

Adding more to the 'original' game would not be technically possible without a huge amount of re-writing of the engine and various underlying systems. We obviously, looked at all scenarios and what effort would be required for all the different ways of expanding the Subnautica story. Being as we wanted a separate adventure anyway and a large new area with a new protagonist, it makes sense from a technical standpoint to have it be separate (and much quicker to deliver to you guys).

Hope that clears things up a bit.

If there's a lot of system changes required to make something like swapping between two worldspaces practical without unnecessary amounts of work isn't possible, then I guess that answers my question xD

It'd still be real cool if it could be done, but we'll live without it just as well.

Plans change and all that, but will there be any Blood Kelp Zones in the new map or flora similar to it?
  • IMMatthuIMMatthu Canada Join Date: 2018-07-19 Member: 242336Members
    I understand that expanding the current open world to include the DLC Arctic world may not be technically feasible (very disappointing) but it would be great if there could at least be some illusion of continuity, for immersion's sake.

Maybe a short spaceflight animation and the ability to go back and forth and carry over some items or equipment.

I, personally, muuuuch prefer DLC that expands a base game. Subnautica, for example, could maybe have more predators, more predator/prey interacting, some new items/weapons etc.

My last concern is bug fixes/optimizations/tweaks etc. I really hope these would be applied to the base game.
  • CHZGAMINGCHZGAMING Canada Join Date: 2018-07-19 Member: 242339Members
    when the game is fully released on xbox, will co-op be looked into?
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    CHZGAMING wrote: »
    when the game is fully released on xbox, will co-op be looked into?

No.

IMMatthu wrote: »
    I understand that expanding the current open world to include the DLC Arctic world may not be technically feasible (very disappointing) but it would be great if there could at least be some illusion of continuity, for immersion's sake.

Maybe a short spaceflight animation and the ability to go back and forth and carry over some items or equipment.

I, personally, muuuuch prefer DLC that expands a base game. Subnautica, for example, could maybe have more predators, more predator/prey interacting, some new items/weapons etc.

My last concern is bug fixes/optimizations/tweaks etc. I really hope these would be applied to the base game.

It's not even going to be attached the main Subnautica as DLC anymore, it's its own thing now completely separate from the original Subnautica.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    edited July 2018
    Morph_Guy wrote: »

It's not even going to be attached the main Subnautica as DLC anymore, it's its own thing now completely separate from the original Subnautica.

That's what this thread's purpose was to discuss in the first place.

Yea, it's gonna be a separate thing, but we were discussing why we wanted it to be part of the main story instead, or at least mixed with the main game in some way.[
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »

That's what this thread's purpose was to discuss in the first place.

Yea, it's gonna be a separate thing, but we were discussing why we wanted it to be part of the main story instead, or at least mixed with the main game in some way.[

This was started back when people thought it would just be an option on the menu. It's not even that anymore. It is in no way linked to main Subnautica aside from in theme, which I actually haven't seen mentioned here yet.