Arctic Expansion concept art megathread

Comments

• RowletAlexRowletAlex Eleventy-seven Nonexistent Street, Nowhereville, Outer Space. Join Date: 2018-03-16 Member: 239126Members
    edited July 2018
    New concept art!

dm3k8zpnoyk2.jpeg
    At number one we have an early alien penguin. This won’t appear in the DLC and I’m not really gonna miss it. I’m not exactly getting a penguin feel from it.

1t0kb8b6oxfs.jpeg
    At number two, the return of the pinnicarid! Turns out we will be getting the black one! It’s got some alternate color schemes, all of which are nice, and I’ll be happy with whatever one they choose for the DLC.

bcxf90cqgft7.jpeg
    And finally, we’ve got a new creature! Meet the Titan Holefish, one of the weirdest (and coolest) creatures being added to the expansion, IMO. It’s biology is incredibly bizarre and seems to be something like an ocean sunfish mixed with a cuckoo’s victim, yet they’re symbiotic! Can’t wait to see these guys drifting about the Arctic seas.

EDIT:
    or6de42yy8jx.jpeg
    I WAS RIGHT. They ARE seal-like animals that go on land but hunt at sea! Seriously, read the photo description. It’s literally a seal. (This is of an old pinnicarid but it’s only been changed in appearance I imagine)
  • FlametuskFlametusk Sparse Reef Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235582Members
    I'm hoping for C or D. Also, the Pinnicarid is SO CUTE.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Flametusk wrote: »
    I'm hoping for C or D. Also, the Pinnicarid is SO CUTE.

This game has a history of cute creatures. Until they open their jaws at least.
    Eh. I have a soft spot for creatures from the Cambrian period. Like Anomalocaris, or Opabinia.
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members

RowletAlex wrote: »
    New concept art!

bcxf90cqgft7.jpeg
    And finally, we’ve got a new creature! Meet the Titan Holefish, one of the weirdest (and coolest) creatures being added to the expansion, IMO. It’s biology is incredibly bizarre and seems to be something like an ocean sunfish mixed with a cuckoo’s victim, yet they’re symbiotic! Can’t wait to see these guys drifting about the Arctic seas.

oh great, its a carrier for Biters....
  • RowletAlexRowletAlex Eleventy-seven Nonexistent Street, Nowhereville, Outer Space. Join Date: 2018-03-16 Member: 239126Members
    edited July 2018
    We just got a BUTTLOAD of new concept art, much of which is going unused. Since there is so much I won’t put my opinions on each for now.

The unused stuff:
    85gwyj22dt5k.jpeg
    2i9yqnj14qib.jpeg
    These are some unused concepts for the alien penguin, and they confirm the mysterious blue creature is in fact an old alien penguin. All of these are very nice, and it’s a shame we won’t get them ingame.
    21mctexstuip.jpeg
    This is an old sketch of the pinnicarid. Nothing too interesting.
    choi46k0unb8.jpeg
    Here’s an old squidshark. Not too different, but I definitely prefer the new one.
    el6ip9ki1g4m.jpeg
    7yit4v2jxrqk.jpeg
    ntg7beyfbob2.jpeg
    These three are some unused variants of regular creatures. We have a shuttlebug, a crabsquid, and a Mesmer(?) All seem obsessed with batteries for various reasons. I’m really sad we aren’t getting that Mesmer, especially mesmer B. IT’S SO CUTEEE
    3hzjmiu3om1n.jpeg
    This is a creature only known as the shard, which is like a bizarre knifefish that uses ice like squid ink. It’s a shame we’re losing such a fascinating creature, but I would imagine that ice dummy ability wou be difficult to animate.

The stuff we will get/not sure about:
    ctahd69xydy6.jpeg
    Here’s a closer look at the Titan Holefish symbionts. They’ll be fun to place on the taxonomic chart.
    vcihybq3dq27.jpeg
    This awesome beast is called the Brute Shark, and it’s a stalker/boneshark size animal. It may have been replaced by the squidshark but I certainly hope we get both of them.
    enmfi0a1jjnx.jpeg
    Here’s some anatomical details on the pinnicarid. This seems to confirm we’re getting pinnicarid A (new set of patterns)/pinnicarid C (original pattern set) It has neat anatomy, and for once it’s mouth isn’t terrifying!
    2wwj552wn9g3.jpeg
    ju17162lm34s.jpeg
    Here’s some details on the final alien penguin. I’m glad we can finally see how it’s feet work.
  • Hunter387Hunter387 Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241853Members
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    Wow, that's gives a very alien feel!

What are those red things then? Some kind of terrestrial giant tubeworm? Maybe in a light breeze their tentacles flow out to snare the odd passing skyray.

That’s what there called ok. I thought the same thing about what they looked like
    Ok random idea I wonder if the precursors are gonna be there to..
    We got a new fauna the Titan Holefish it is a cite to be hold and also we have the another one with it. http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Titan_Holefish
    Bit late to the party, eh?
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    I SERIOUSLY hope we get something akin to a sea angel, those things are really cute and giant ones in an alien containment? Heck yeah!
    Flametusk wrote: »
    Bit late to the party, eh?
    Might be just now realized it was a thing but oh well.
    Q_bert wrote: »
    I SERIOUSLY hope we get something akin to a sea angel, those things are really cute and giant ones in an alien containment? Heck yeah!

??
  • millievdbmillievdb Join Date: 2018-07-17 Member: 242266Members
    @kingkuma: It may be fan art but it still would be awesome if it ever came tot the game.
  • millievdbmillievdb Join Date: 2018-07-17 Member: 242266Members
    @RowletAlex: How do you place the pictures, I mean I try to do it but every time a link shows up and I can't post it? Pls help me.
    New piece of concept art!
    ijpaazyf1r0c.jpeg
    This is of a “mysterious” creature for the expansion, by Pat Presley (unlike the rest of our creatures so far) What it’ll do I’m not sure but it looks weird and I’m really excited to see it ingame.

@millievdb I use mobile so this might not work the same, but there should be a little photo symbol above the text box where you write your post. Click it, choose an image, and it should automatically put the photo in for you.
    @RowletAlex that looks like something off of Spore. Evolution truly WAS a mistake.
    Well it’s official according to wiki the artic “dlc” expansion is actually going to be a separate game and Subnautica it self will not be needed to play.
    edited July 2018
    Huh. I looked into it and apparently this is a thing but it’s somewhat poorly worded, so I’m gonna need some clarification from a dev on that. To be quite honest what I think Obraxis was trying to say is that it’s not expanding the base world and will be truly, wholly independent. They or another dev can correct me if I’m wrong.

Additionally, I really don’t understand the point behind a second game entirely if it won’t be drastically, hugely new with big new features. I’d be fine with it but I KNOW loads of people would whine that it doesn’t have multiplayer or something else significant different. It’d be peppered with reviews saying “this could just be an expansion for the base game” or something like that. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: So I asked around on discord and got numerous responses (including from Obraxis) that it’s a separate .exe file that can be played without the game, but isn’t quite a sequel or a truly separate game. You can buy it without owning Subnautica, but it’s not a whole new game. Think of it as Subnautica 1.5.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    edited July 2018
    RowletAlex wrote: »
    Huh. I looked into it and apparently this is a thing but it’s somewhat poorly worded, so I’m gonna need some clarification from a dev on that. To be quite honest what I think Obraxis was trying to say is that it’s not expanding the base world and will be truly, wholly independent. They or another dev can correct me if I’m wrong.

Additionally, I really don’t understand the point behind a second game entirely if it won’t be drastically, hugely new with big new features. I’d be fine with it but I KNOW loads of people would whine that it doesn’t have multiplayer or something else significant different. It’d be peppered with reviews saying “this could just be an expansion for the base game” or something like that. Just my 2 cents.

Not everything benefits from following trends.
    DLC is a huge trend because it is easy to push "new" content for a "small" price, incurring in huge revenues for the gaming companies and negligible content for the players.

Once upon a time, expansions were a new thing and the norm was to publish games in sequence. Game, Game 2, ..., Game n and so forth. When Doom 2 came out it only featured one new weapon, a few new enemies, practically no new mechanics and a ton new levels (mostly using the same sprites and textures, only different mazes).
    It was a huge success and launched only a year after the original.

Having new things just for the sake of new things alone isn't ok. Trying to appease everyone also tends to fail.

Subnautica has its own niche, there's still a huge demand in this niche and UWE is lightyears away from the competition.
    Right now it would be foolish to waste time and resources on anything not guaranteed to improve the game, and there's plenty of assured improvements to be taken on what's already implemented.
    You DO have a very good point there. I myself wouldn’t complain but I know other people would (the same people who ask for multiplayer/weapons I would wager) However I’m rather satisfied with the state of the expansion as it is now. I’m really looking forward to playing it!

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited July 2018
    A couple new fauna concepts I haven't seen posted here.
    This first one is of an unused Reaper relative.
    263ecbu93ogk.png
    This second one is of various small animals. It's unknown if any of these are scrapped or not.
    azh2zrog3kr4.png

There are also a couple new biome concepts.
    The first one is of the Arctic Spires biome which will probably make it in. The specific hovercraft visible here won't make it in, but something to fill that same role will.
    u763qqndeyrb.png
    This second one is of a Thermal Zone that will be making it in from the looks of it. Bear in mind that the Seamoth likely won't make it in.
    7psabi402g8b.png
    edited July 2018
    I was literally just about to post those! The assorted small fauna one is new to me, though.

EDIT: Here’s one you missed:
    a94ur5jp2lmu.jpeg
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    I don't understand, why wouldn't the vehicles that we have now get into the expansion?

Would they entirely remake the subs for the arctic? And better question is why? I would expect at least one of the current vehicles to continue on.
    Supposedly the PRAWN is probably gonna stay, but I suppose they either want it to be more terrestrial this time, or they’re going to add two new submarines to replace the old ones. And then there’s the terrestrial Hovercraft vehicle as well.
    I though that the seamoth was gonna make it in or maybe since it’ll be in the future it’ll be like seamoth mark 3 that looks almost completely different and hopefully we’ll get like the prawn mark 5 or something that’ll be cool
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    I have a feeling that those pink flowers function similarly to jellyshrooms...
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Wow!

Maybe they're sea anemones?
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Q_bert wrote: »
    I have a feeling that those pink flowers function similarly to jellyshrooms...

Which begs the question, what functions with them?