The vesper: Rocket or space elevator or phasegate or other

kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
Which one would YOU like the vesper to be?

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Giant Death St- I mean Space elevator
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    I don't know, I like the idea of the elevator, but it's pretty impractical, considering that the elevator would be in constant movement as the station it's attached to would be in orbit.

I think the ship is better, but we do already have the Sunbeam.

What we need is some sort of Torgaljin space station, with its AI bent on finding the deceased crew, by any means necessary.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Skope wrote: »
    I don't know, I like the idea of the elevator, but it's pretty impractical, considering that the elevator would be in constant movement as the station it's attached to would be in orbit.

I think the ship is better, but we do already have the Sunbeam.

What we need is some sort of Torgaljin space station, with its AI bent on finding the deceased crew, by any means necessary.

Geosynchronous orbit.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Giant space station + elevator, or rocket shuttle.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    @Skope
    Adapted from the wiki article on space elevators:
    A space elevator would consist of a cable with one end attached to the surface near the equator and the other end in space beyond geostationary orbit. The competing forces of gravity, which is stronger at the lower end, and the outward/upward centrifugal force, which is stronger at the upper end, would result in the cable being held up, under tension, and stationary over a single position.

That's from a much bigger comment I wrote in another thread (https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/154692/new-artic-dlc-addition-the-vesper), explaining why space elevators may be more practical than other means, especially phase gates.
  • TheBoss097TheBoss097 Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240313Members
    Instead of a phasegate, i imagine a man-made facility, please note, not alien, man, this facility would have 20 teleporters that have green glowing tops and bottoms, because of ionic energy, they would beam u up to 1 of 20 teleporters on the vesper space station. The teleporters are like phasegates, but much different. The teleporters, however, are under high security because they are a direct link to the vesper (don't want any evil precursor, or other aliens destroying the vesper from the inside out.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Phasegates are like alien arches, but even better.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    edited June 2018
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Just to be really out there:

Why not have a pod/station that can transfer momentum to an additional dimensions and then harvest it... Kind of like a giant flywheel or spring.

So you'd have a pod with apparent anti-gravity - but only very temporarily - capable of landing briefly before rising to *almost* its original height and location? The vesper (original location) would then add energy to the pod.

So, that is an example of other (which is in this case almost a combination of all three).
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Space elevator. I don't know of a video game with one in. Anyone come across it?
  • Hunter387Hunter387 Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241853Members
    I choose this just because it could be cool to have a base in space. *cough pun intended