Motion Tracking

BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">with a twist of lemmon</div>Motion Tracking was an amazing(ly overpowered) upgrade in NS1, but the concept of motion tracking makes sense for the marines.

I was just thinking of a way MT could be added in without it being ridiculous.

The idea is, every marine gets a motion sensor in their visors. This sensor lights up (in the usual blips) enemy movement in one player's field of view to all nearby player's hud.

This way, its not just a free wall-hack because it requires a player to be looking at the target, but it does allow marines to know where the enemy is when reinforcing a fight. Unless the enemy is coming from behind that player (no warning people from other rooms).

I just think the notion blips fit so well with the feel of marine play, and it would be another good tech option as a first research, in stead of mines or shotguns or upgrades. It would give the marines an intel bonus instead of combat bonus.

The red dots already show up on the minimap, why not just add in intro the hud?

Just a thought

Comments

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited August 2012
    its a commander researched upgrade from the obs like in ns1?

v1.
    I think motion tracking could be balanced if you do several things like:
    - only works in marine powered areas (but on not infestation).
    - only works if alien is in the line of sight for you or another player

v2.
    another way to do it would be that motion tracking works exactly like in ns1 - but each marine needs to purchase a visor upgrade from the armory - and you lose it when you die.

v3.
    commander does a motion tracking scan - which lasts say 30 seconds in the scan area
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yeah it would be researched at obs (makes sense since they provide a constant MT).

only in marine powered areas would be a good way to balance it if it were like ns1, but the idea is that it does not benefit the marine seeing the enemy, but the marines covering or following them so they all see the same targets.

Purchasing a new visor every time could be good, but it would have to be more powerful if it were gonna cost res every time (ns1 mode). It would also raised the cost of a fully eched out marine (jp, wepon, welder, now MT visor) ~10 - 15 res would be good for that
  • mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    edited August 2012
    It was never OP in NS1.

- Cost 45 res ( i think)
    - Very long research time
    - Delayed phase tech
    - Could not beacon while researching

In a competitive 6v6 NS1 game it balanced because you needed before 5-6 minutes (hives/fades )
    - Phase Tech
    - Weapon/Armour Upgrades
    - Drop shotguns
    - Supply for marines (medpacks / ammo)
    - Res for RT's

It was a very large win or loose scenario. You either win very quickly or your mid-late game tech is so delayed that you eventually got overrun.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Personally, i agree with you. MT being OP was just the general consensus i got from the people i played with (even though aliens had scent of fear which was the same thing). I do think it has a place in NS2 in one form or another though.
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1956372:date=Aug 3 2012, 11:12 AM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Aug 3 2012, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(even though aliens had scent of fear which was the same thing)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Researchable option for marines in armory >balls of steel so you can be detected by scent ^_^

OnT: Dont forget that in NS1 it did not work on cloaked aliens while they were still and it scanned every 3 seconds (updated positions).
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    One upgrade suiting all marines would be neat. Obs-station could trigger it.
    Also why not let it act as "Intensity-module", so the nearer a alien is, the better the motion capturing is. The more marine-visors are connecting (squads), a bigger radius of motion capturing is formed.

So, 1 marine can locate 2 out of 3 aliens.
    3 Marines can locate 6.
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    When I think of scardybob with a shotgun and motion tracking it scares me.
    Remember, the idea is that this version of motion tracking benefits the player's allies, not so much the player themselves.

The idea is that it makes marines play better as a team by allowing allies to have updated info on how many enemies the player is fighting and where they are located, its not like "hey there's something coming around the corner, lets line up and kill it firing squad style". Its more like "Hey, my buddy is getting attacked by 2 enemies in the next room, ill sprint over to save him....aww crap, there was a third behind him"
  • XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
    #bring motion tracking back
  • XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
    edited June 2018
    mf- wrote: »
    It was never OP in NS1.

- Cost 45 res ( i think)
    - Very long research time
    - Delayed phase tech
    - Could not beacon while researching

100% agree

EDIT : I think it was 35 ress in NS3.2
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited June 2018
    You already have scanning and obs you can place over the map. This is essentially easier than placing an obs at a choke point, which I think already ruins the movement of the aliens in the game. The only way I can see this making sense is if you got rid of scan, and observatory anywhere in the map, and allowed motion tracking automatic in a powered room. Just makes it harder for aliens to move around though which I think is one of the best parts of the game. The ability for the aliens to make a quick attack and bounce around the map.
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    In NS1 this forced aliens to hold shift for the remainder of the round once they knew the marines have it in motion (hurr). It's not rare for a winning marine team to seem to plant an obs in many rooms late game.

Not really thinking this is worth bringing to NS2. Even with the cloaking update in B323 you can easily see the only-75%-ish effect of skulks still running at full chuff thinking they're being swiggity about it. At the very least shades would have to be able to counter it, even when not inking, so an alien comm could strategically move a shade with an attacking squad or a forward position.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
  • StupidStupid Join Date: 2018-06-03 Member: 241104Members
    I'd enjoy the removal of the minimap and replace it with similar mechanics that the exo possesses. Well, it might be entertaining as an option.