Constant Turning and Inability To Move Camera With PS4 Controller

etherealyandereetherealyandere UK Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213830Members
Steam recently released support for the PS4's Dualshock 4 Controller and since I don't have an xbox controller, that's perfect for me. I can't use my laptops touch pad since I can't move and look around at the same time (I've tried disabling everything related to it, it still won't let me move the camera) so I plugged in my DS4 (since Subnautica's Steam page says it has full controller support) and checked the controller bindings so I could change them to my own liking. Firstly, the bindings only relate to the Xbox controller layout so it's a bit a headwork (but nothing difficult for someone who's played both systems). But for people for haven't, it could be confusing. I dunno if its possible to differentiate between controllers, but if its not, maybe put all the button variations in? (Like Jump = X/A and whatever the Steam controllers button is)

However, this issue was nothing that actually effected me. However, when I loaded up the game there was a gamebreaking issue. The camera constantly turned to the left. A steady, unrelenting turn that could not be stopped. At one point I somehow did stop it, I think it was because I opened the menu, but then it never turned again. In both cases, the camera couldn't be controller by the right stick. I assumed it was a binding gone wrong, but theres no way to re-bind the camera control since it's not in the controller binding settings. Is this just an oversight? Am I missing something? It can't really be considered a full-controller support game if one of the controllers supported by Steam doesn't work with it. Hopefully, I've just messed something up and it can be easily fixed. I'm not using DS4Windows (and I won't if someone suggests that). The game works fine but I just can't control my character right with or without the controller.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I'm not using DS4Windows (and I won't if someone suggests that). The game works fine but I just can't control my character right with or without the controller.

So I take it you're not interested in using any middle-man software between your controller and the game? Or just this DS4Windows program?

Anyways, I'd look in Windows' joystick settings and recalibrate the deadzone and center etc.
  • DragonChesterDragonChester Alberta Canada Join Date: 2017-08-11 Member: 232354Members
    edited January 2018
    I am having the same issue. I thought I posted here before and I know this older post. I haven't played in a while and looking forward to starting fresh new game. The Game use to work fine with no other drivers and I could just plug my DS4 into usb and play Subnautica with no issues..
    But now is just spins and I have no control of my charter. Other Unity games like Saurain and 7 days to die work fine with my Dualshock 4 controller. I know its not driver issue, it's something to do with Subnautica..

as said. It USE to work fine few patches ago (oct/November maybe?)
    I really hope somebody from Dev team will test Subnautica with DS4 controller please..

-Sire DragonChester
    Game Pc: i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz/16 GB Ram/GTX 1080TI SC/2x 240 SSD GB/Win 7 64bit
  • ParafaragaramusParafaragaramus United States Join Date: 2018-01-28 Member: 236038Members
    I was playing with my ps3 controller just fine but it was getting worn out so I decided to upgrade to a ps4 controller. The game seems very confused as far as inputs go, when clicking a button it seems the mouse resets to a middle location on the screen and there is uncontrolled spinning and cycling through equipment after save is loaded.
    I'm using DS4Windows and so far all the other games I've tried work just fine.
  • ParafaragaramusParafaragaramus United States Join Date: 2018-01-28 Member: 236038Members
    I purchsed a USB bluetooth dongle today to use my PS4 controller wirelessly and decided to give subnautica another try with it and the controller seems to be working great now.
    You can give that a try
  • DragonChesterDragonChester Alberta Canada Join Date: 2017-08-11 Member: 232354Members
    As said it use to work FINE before. Now it stop working. Other games work fine so if was my ds4 or driver issue. I would have figured it out.. I've tried re calibrate the ds4 and still does not work.
    It works fine in OTHER unity games.

They changed something and or when cooked it for final version. Something broke. I've see other ppl having xbox 360 controller issues as well.

Please can dev look into this.. Thank you

-Sire DragonChester
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I did a google search of ds4 Subnautica, found something here on the forums that may help:
    RedPill wrote: »
    I am using the DS4 since I started playing this game. Google for "DS4Windows" and make sure you check the "Hide DS4 controller" option in the settings. This will prevent the spinning thing. BUT, if your DS4 disconnects while playing the game, Subnautica will go back to the spinning behavior. Save -> restart the game (after making sure DS4Windows has control again) and you're good to go.

It's not just spinning around. When in the options it will always move the selection to the left in whichever option menu you're in right now.
    narfblat wrote: »
    I did a google search of ds4 Subnautica, found something here on the forums that may help:
    RedPill wrote: »
    I am using the DS4 since I started playing this game. Google for "DS4Windows" and make sure you check the "Hide DS4 controller" option in the settings. This will prevent the spinning thing. BUT, if your DS4 disconnects while playing the game, Subnautica will go back to the spinning behavior. Save -> restart the game (after making sure DS4Windows has control again) and you're good to go.

It's not just spinning around. When in the options it will always move the selection to the left in whichever option menu you're in right now.

Im not using any driver or 3rd party app at least for windows 7 Pro 64bit.. It just worked and I'm not sure how.. Maybe cuz natively some games actually have proper DS4 Controller support.. But for whatever reason now. It's broke when it use to work fine before.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited February 2018
    More google: https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/357284767237353004/
    Reinstall all your controller drivers. It's in the Device Manager/Human Interface Devices, and delete all HID-compilant stuff there. Then reconnect your controller. If it doesn't install on it's own, do that thing you did the first time you got it working.
    edited February 2018
    Still does not work. There is NO drivers that installed

Guest what. I've said many MANY times but nobody seems to able read or understand.
    Saurian a Unity game works FINE with my Dualshock 4 controller.
    7 days to die another UNITY game works fine.
    Subnautica use to work fine. Since release of newest version. It stop working. Some games have native supported drivers in there game when they cook it. Something has changed.

Turning on DS4 support in big picture does not help. tried it on and off. Same issue.
    It shows fine for in windows controller Panel and has been like that for awhile.
    As I've said not using any Controller drivers

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/149063161088049152/415663338358571018/Ds4controller_not_working_for_Subnautica.png

Ps there is No ds4 drivers installed under windows 7 device manager either. I double checked.

-Sire
  • nesnes UK/Poland Join Date: 2018-06-02 Member: 241073Members
    I've managed to make mine work. Here's what I did.

I do have Ds4 Windows installed, however I didn't start it when I plugged controller. In Steam, after plugging the controller, go to Menu Steam-> Settings->Controller->General Controller Settings. There mark PS4 Configuration Support, and UNMARK everything else, plus set Controller Shutdown Time to "Never". Save and exit. Start Subnautica and in options go to Controller. There mark Enable Controller and set Layout to PS4.

That made mine work correctly. Hope it will help someone :)
  • Dean_WellerDean_Weller Join Date: 2021-05-08 Member: 269811Members
    If anyone finds this. While there are issues with the game recognizing the controller type despite being selected, this could also be a controller issue. The DS4's are known to have controller drift. Sony is aware of the issue and are honoring the one year warranty with proof of purchase. Basically the controller joy sticks get jammed with small particles and cause the drift randomly. Note the controller looks normal while this is happening. Its not the game its the DS4. There is a dyi version but I wouldn't recommend it. There are too many ways to permanently break your controller by attempt to clean it yourself and re-assemble.