Struggling to find Lava Lake / Primary Containment Facility

BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members
I'm at a point in the game that I need to find the PCF or I'm stuck. I had found the lava lake previously by accident, and now cannot find it again. One of the problems is that it's so dark down there, navigating is rough.

I can get to the lost river, and follow it to the skeletons, etc. I believe the lava lake is connected to that somewhere. So far the few online posts I have seen have not helped.

If I keep following the lost river, do I get where I need to be? Or am I totally off base?

Comments

• MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Best bet is always going deeper, if you see a cave going to a lower level just go there to check it out.

It's also easier to explore with the PRAWN.
    If you are having a rough time navigating, try setting up a beacon every now and then, just so you know where you came from.
    And an advanced base can also be a huge help. A place to recharge, restock and not need to leave the cave system just for it.

Soon you'll know the layout of the caves by heart.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2018
    Yep, beacons are basically your bread and butter when it comes to finding cave entrances if you're not familiar with the area yet.

Also since you said it was very dark down there. Make sure you're not playing using the cinematic filmic color grading in your graphics settings. It is moronically dark, not to mention that bloom also seems to add quite an obscuring haze, especially in the lava zones...
    I play with filmic.
    Love it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    I play with filmic.
    Love it.

You rebel, you!
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    When in the Lost River, find the big glowy tree thing with the eggs on it, can't miss it. Behind the tree is a sink hole that leads to the inactive lava zone. Going this path, follow the ILZ until you reach the large chamber. From there, just explore around the edges of the area until you find the sink hole into the ALZ. (I believe the sink hole is opposite the side of the lava castle.)
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    Crewman87 wrote: »
    When in the Lost River, find the big glowy tree thing with the eggs on it, can't miss it. Behind the tree is a sink hole that leads to the inactive lava zone. Going this path, follow the ILZ until you reach the large chamber. From there, just explore around the edges of the area until you find the sink hole into the ALZ. (I believe the sink hole is opposite the side of the lava castle.)
    Yeah, that tree is called the Giant Cove Tree, and it is connected to the chamber with the Sea Dragon skeleton.
    ^ Thanks I never can remember what the tree is called lol.
  • BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members
    ^ Thanks I never can remember what the tree is called lol.

Is it just a big, white tree with red bloodoil sacs? I know where that is, and yes, it's near the skeletons. But I don't see eggs, only red bloodsacs.
    edited May 2018
    @BigGrayGolem

The eggs are..
    Ghost Leviathan eggs. You only find this out by scanning the tree.

The tree will look like this..
    maxresdefault.jpg

The area is close to the..
    Disease Research Facility

Hopefully this will help you out. It's kind of hard for me to explain as I know the way by heart. If you get tired of searching, I would either build a scanner room with maximum scanning range (4 upgrades) to help you navigate the terrain, or try looking at some maps of the lost river online.
  • BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members
    @BigGrayGolem

The eggs are..
    Ghost Leviathan eggs. You only find this out by scanning the tree.

The tree will look like this..
    maxresdefault.jpg

The area is close to the..
    Disease Research Facility

Hopefully this will help you out. It's kind of hard for me to explain as I know the way by heart. If you get tired of searching, I would either build a scanner room with maximum scanning range (4 upgrades) to help you navigate the terrain, or try looking at some maps of the lost river online.

OK great, that's definitely NOT the tree I thought it was. I did find the Disease Research Facility, so if I make it back there I should be good to go. Didn't see that tree, though, so I might have missed it. I left a few beacons so should be able to find my way back.

I'll also check my graphics settings, because it's REALLY dark down there, and the bloom is pretty bad; everything appears like my visor is smudged.

Thanks!!!
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    @BigGrayGolem

Hopefully this will help you out. It's kind of hard for me to explain as I know the way by heart.
    Yeah, its kind of hard to explain. My best explanation is to hug the edge of the
    Gargantuan Skeleton
    but go toward the tail instead of the head. You should find a brinefall that leads to a place called the Junction, then you can find the tree from there.
    I'll also check my graphics settings, because it's REALLY dark down there, and the bloom is pretty bad; everything appears like my visor is smudged.

Use your sonars or, as @Crewman87 noted, build a Scanner Room to map the surroundings.
    I also am not sure which entrance you are coming in from, but I typically come from either the Deep Grand Reef entrance or the South West Blood Kelp entrance. The entrance in the South West Blood Kelp is right below the wreck suspended between two walls. I find this one the easiest, and it also is big enough for your Cyclops.

It also has..
    A hidden cache (Orange Tablet) directly in the first chamber.
  • Sea_KermanSea_Kerman Munbase Alpha Join Date: 2017-12-13 Member: 234409Members
    The sonar upgrade is my favorite upgrade ever. With it, you can ACTUALLY SEE.
  • TheBoss097TheBoss097 Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240313Members
    I know what you mean :) Dark places can be so annoying.
    I also am not sure which entrance you are coming in from, but I typically come from either the Deep Grand Reef entrance or the South West Blood Kelp entrance. The entrance in the South West Blood Kelp is right below the wreck suspended between two walls. I find this one the easiest, and it also is big enough for your Cyclops.

It also has..

Yeah, I always use the South West Blood Kelp Zone. I'm pretty sure that the Northern one has a Ghost Leviathan guarding the entrance. r7t3opuaoerb.png
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited May 2018

It also has..

Yeah, I always use the South West Blood Kelp Zone. I'm pretty sure that the Northern one has a Ghost Leviathan guarding the entrance. r7t3opuaoerb.png

Agreed

Trench FTW
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    There's that entrance in the Mountains now, though, that was made specifically to accommodate a Cyclops. Yeah, sure, there's a baby ghost leviathan there, but it's easy enough to avoid. Or you know, you can just kill it.

Anyway, that is by far the easiest way to get to the Lost River and the Lava zone(s). From the Mushroom Forest near the Aurora, go north until you find a giant hecking hole in the ground. It can be surprisingly easy to miss, even when I know it's there, so I like to scout it out with my Seamoth and then leave a beacon in place so I can find my way back. 'ware the bonesharks, though.
  • FlametuskFlametusk Sparse Reef Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235582Members

It also has..

I killed both the adult in the Blood kelp, Well, technically it was in the Underwater Islands before I hit it a few times and it ran off into the Grassy Plateaus, where I killed it. Anyways, I killed both the adult one there and the juvenile in the ghost forest. So now what was my forward base right at the edge of the UI and the BK has had room to expand a lot.

Also, I set a beacon at the wreck in the trench, and I still have a difficult time finding the LR entrance there. The entrance in the NBK, though, is very easy to find.

By the way, do leviathans ever respawn?

It also has..

I hate that bastard, the Cyclops is such a slow beast!
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    I been told leviathans are supposed to respawn after awhile if they are killed to decourage killing them. But people have reported they don't respawn for them so idk
    I been told leviathans are supposed to respawn after awhile if they are killed to decourage killing them. But people have reported they don't respawn for them so idk

mqdefault.jpg