Weather and Storms

Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
In one of the Degasi logs found on the floating island says that the reason why the front multipurpose room on the main habitat was caved in is from a mudslide due to a heavy storm. I wonder if in the future the devs will add weather and storms. It would be interesting what if would look like. Imagine in the early game where you still have your Lifepod and a storm starts to hit and the pod starts bobbing up and down rocking against the waves. This also could apply for the Cyclops as well which would make for an immersive experience. Tell what you think about adding weather to Subnautica.

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Weather is coming in the expansion pass
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members

Is it only for the expansion, or will it also come into the main game?
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Sunbeam also hopes the good weather will hold. I'd like to see weather effects for that main game, too.

@AnomalyDetected I'm pretty sure it's just for the expansion right now. I haven't heard that weather will be implemented for the main game.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    The Sunbeam has nothing to worry about. There's a 0% of rain and a 100% of an energy blast
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited May 2018
    The Sunbeam has nothing to worry about. There's a 0% of rain and a 100% of an energy blast

With a slight chance of impending, bacterial apocalypse. More on that, next time!

*cues random, dramatic news network music*
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members

I really hope so! It'd be great if it could damage shallow bases!

Dive deep for shelter!
  • StormShockerStormShocker Join Date: 2017-08-27 Member: 232676Members
    I wonder if lightning could cause a temporary power shortage. Or say damage you in the water
  • Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
    @AnomalyDetected I'm pretty sure it's just for the expansion right now. I haven't heard that weather will be implemented for the main game.[/quote]
    I think they should add weather into the main game when the expansion gets released.

• Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    Since the expansion will take place in an arctic biome, there will likely be snowstorms. It’d be neat if the snow would slowly cover bases that are built above water, to the point where you’ll need to remove the snow covering the hatch to get back in.
    warning, contains a stupid joke about the expansion thing that was changed 3 days after is announced
    That is if you actually build a base in it or not, since there is going to be a ship called the Vesp- . . . oh wait
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    warning, contains a stupid joke about the expansion thing that was changed 3 days after is announced
    That is if you actually build a base in it or not, since there is going to be a ship called the Vesp- . . . oh wait

Expound please, my interest has peaked, as I've been pretty much absent from Subnautica news.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Expound please, my interest has peaked, as I've been pretty much absent from Subnautica news.
    Apparently, in the new Artic DLC,
    A new ship/base thing, called the Vesper, will be implemented. It is supposed to be in space, which is accessible via a rocket.
  • Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
    A new ship/base thing, called the Vesper, will be implemented. It is supposed to be in space, which is accessible via a rocket.
    Where did you get that information? Was it leaked or are you a playtester?

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Twitter...
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Twitter...

INTERESTING...
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    n9e78nndejbw.png
    @Aurora_Survivor BTW they have already changed the idea of a space elevator with a rocket. (I made a forum discussion for it.)
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    n9e78nndejbw.png
    @Aurora_Survivor BTW they have already changed the idea of a space elevator with a rocket. (I made a forum discussion for it.)

I found this, don't know if it goes with what you said.
    g2nvvcojydgz.png
  • RowletAlexRowletAlex Eleventy-seven Nonexistent Street, Nowhereville, Outer Space. Join Date: 2018-03-16 Member: 239126Members
    I say they should just focus on getting the expansion out first, and then afterwards take a look at giving the base game some TLC.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited May 2018
    I've posted this before, but I love the idea of underwater storms that kick up sediment (Obstructing your vision) and slow you down from the powerful currents. Like this scene from SOMA which takes place on the abyssal plains. Can you imagine trying to wade through that in a PRAWN suit?

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    edited May 2018
    The thing with weather is that sometimes, to cause damage it "outsources" to other factors, like walls and ground and stuff, by hurling the damagee(The thing getting the damage) against the damager, which results in damage for the damagee, therefore meaning that weather wouldn't just bring in new possibilities for weather, it would also bring in new possibilities for terrain(You might be saying "That was the sea currents hurling it about! Not the weather!", but the wind causes sea currents, so therefore the sea currents are technically weather). I mean, who would want to be stuck in a tiny natural cave while a sea current whisked you all about but you couldn't get out because it's better than the alternative of being caught in a thunderstorm?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2018
    I've posted this before, but I love the idea of underwater storms that kick up sediment (Obstructing your vision) and slow you down from the powerful currents. Like this scene from SOMA which takes place on the abyssal plains. Can you imagine trying to wade through that in a PRAWN suit?

With leviathans chasing you . TBH, it would be cool if Subnautica had some scripted events besides go to "A to get Blueprint aaaaand done"

I'd love to see something where you have to activate various alien nodes or go to A to get X to use at B to get Y to use at C, while having to crank powernodes on your path to keep the light running and being under constant threat of big bastards if it goes too dark. Subnautica is really lacking in that department. Even though they tried to some extent with the engine room in the Aurora, it was still very lackluster without any danger
    besides the minor annoyance of the bloodsucking dipshits...

But most of it boils down to "push button/pick up object, to get stuff"