VR main issues

shinyshiny Connecticut Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238448Members
edited March 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
I’m loving the game, but there are some issues that make it inaccessible to players unwilling to tinker. Here is what I’ve come across.

1. Cannot read help text at bottom of screen - it’s just outside the perimeter of vision.
2. Changing cameras/views in Cyclops offsets the center of viewing by about 30 degrees to the left. Constant recentering required.
3. Gaze-based viewing only viable interface for driving Cyclops. Even still, the pointer is slightly off-center on side buttons (specifically the speed settings, camera selector, and decoy button — the engine on/off and silent running buttons get a mouse-over pop-up indicator that would be very helpful for other buttons too). As is, it’s impossible to tell if the pointer is hovering over a button on the hud. Random selecting trial and error is especially not fun when being chased by a leviathan.
4. Renaming a beacon is impossible in gaze-based viewing. In default, it works, but player must hold down a button on the Xbox controller while typing on keyboard. This is very difficult to execute while wearing a VR headset. Then, to drive Cyclops, you will need to change back to gaze-based interface.
5. Tablet too close and text too grainy. Increase font size and move the tablet further away from player. Reading PDAs very unpleasant.
6. Sometimes Prawn suit slips through cracks in ocean floor and plummets until pressure kills you.
7. Docking the Prawn suit or Seamoth into Cyclops causes player to eject and the Cyclops/docked-vehicle set to fly high into the sky above sea level and travel approximately 500-800 meters in a starboard direction. It will then float about 10 meters above water until the player approaches it and is within about 20 meters. Then it will fall into the ocean and you can board. Cause may be linked to the fact that the exit hatch on the prawn suit or seamoth is not lining up with the corresponding hatch in the Cyclops docking station? If timed just right, the player can exit the Prawn suit or Seammoth after the Cyclops grabs it but before it is docked, and avoid having to chase the vehicles 500 meters. But, you have to time it just right.
8. Occasionally a stalker will spawn inside base near starting location. Can block hallways.

Comments

• masrykingmasryking Join Date: 2018-03-10 Member: 238858Members
    Please DEVS!!!!!!!, i cannot fly the cyclops and it’s killing the game for me. I feel a bit ripped off.

I hope the pda and the cyclops can get some real priority fixes. People have been complaining about the pda since vr release.

If our Xbox/ps4 controllers could use the cyclops, keypads, scanner room, etc. panels I would continue to put up with the migraine inducing PDA. Gaze based solution does not work either!

Please please please devs give us a listen and some help with the game that we love!
  • GreyscaleGreyscale Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232939Members
    I've just begun a new game after the full release. I have almost 400 hours on the beta. I've also picked up a Vive and a Steam controller to play it with :-)
    So far, after figuring out a bunch of buttons and so forth, I've been managing it pretty good and it's been the awesome experience I always hoped it would be!
    But.... it looks like it might be murky waters ahead. I just tried to build my first base.... and could not figure it out at all. I don't even have a Seamoth yet but it sounds like managing that is wonky as well.
    I can understand that using the vive wands is not going to work...., I can't even figure how they could use them. But regular controllers (like Steam, Xbox, etc.) should be able to be configured to work with the game in VR. I hope that the devs can develop some configurations that will enable us VR guys to play the game with a controller.
    Please devs!
    Share any setups that you've found to work...
  • DurzoLRZDurzoLRZ United States Join Date: 2016-06-25 Member: 219093Members
    @shiny I agree with you 100% on these. Top major issues would be:
    #1) the flying f*@king cyclops. lost 45 minutes of game-time last night because it went flying off 4500m and was hovering way up in the sky. goodbye cyclops, goodbye prawn, and goodbye all upgrades/stored items? no.
    #2) inability to change beacon labels.

these have been major problems since I picked the game up around mid-beta, I hope they DO get fixed.

the other issues are more minor, if irritating, such as being unable to read help text and transmission subtitles, and having to change your eye focus to be able to use your PDA. OK maybe the focus issue is mid-priority.
    don't forget that walking is about 100% slower in VR than in standard flatscreen gameplay. walking is painfully slow and running is just painful due to press-hold-full forward on stick, and sensitivity makes it drop out of run too easily.
    I don’t think it’s fair to downplay any of these bugs as minor.They all take away from immersion. But I ageee with you in the sense that some things should definitely be prioritized over others. The problem is it seems like the devs do not care about vr in the slightest.

I paid full price v1 for this and it’s just not there yet in terms of vr

Priority list:

1) Cyclops and other input mechanisms to be fixed in a user friendly manner so that players can at least get a full run through of the game. Current method is really bad.

2) HUD and PDA to be fixed showing radio signals, subtitle and timer for sunbeam arrival. Allow us to slide the PDA back a bit please, would make a world of a difference.

3) Controller controls to be worked on. Please allow us to use the right stick for vertical looking as well (to supplement out heads and save our necks). Also, RUNNING speed increase and a toggle option instead of holding the left stick down.

4) becon and other naming methods can be helped by fixing 1 and 3

Please devs we love you pls
    edited March 2018
    Please don’t downplay any of these issues. Vr version needs a good month or two of dedication to iron out these issues.

It is literally the best game out on the platform right now. Even in its broken state.
  • JohanvbJohanvb Here Join Date: 2018-03-15 Member: 239082Members
    When i wanted to use the feedback option in the game i encountered the same bug as renaming a beacon bug. The window follows your gaze thus preventing you from looking at a button or field and selecting it.
  • CUECUE United States Join Date: 2018-03-16 Member: 239133Members
    I just joined this forum in the hopes that maybe I would find the answers to these VR issues... I have the exact same problem. I would add... as I'm progressing in the game...

1. Entering a security code to open a locked door is impossible. To do so, I have go to the door, save the game, exit VR and restart the game and play on a monitor. Unlock the door, save the game, exit the game and then restart the game in VR. That is really really annoying.
    2. Before I dock a vehicle into the Cyclops... I save the game. If the docking fails and I lose the Cyclops... I re-load the game from the save... backup the Cyclops a few meters and try again. This has worked but my character usually lands on the lower level and the Cyclops violently tilts hurting my character and taking some health points before the sub re-orients itself.
    3. It's really difficult to change the speed of the Cyclops. It takes a few tries. Really wish they had a better way for VR players to change the speed with a keyboard command.

Subnautica is an awesome game but because of these issues... I don't think it's VR ready as of yet.
    Yes all input devices are basically impossible to use including the security pads, the scanner room, and the cyclops.

Hopefully there is a fix for both controller and keyboard.
  • Bogey_JammerBogey_Jammer Join Date: 2018-03-20 Member: 239330Members
    edited March 2018
    Hello, I'm new here, because I feel the need to add my contribution.

I confirm all the bugs and suggestions above. The main solution for most of the problems (especially the beacon renaming) would be an implementation of a mouse cursor visible in VR. I have other games that do it perfectly, so that's not an impossible task.

The first issue I've discovered is the lack of animation transitions when entering/exiting vehicles and pods. That would be the cause of the Cyclops massive jump when I enter into it with the Prawn. My workaround: maintain strafe left key pressed during the docking process until the player can walk inside the Cyclops. No more ejection and no more Cyclops displacement to outer space.

Door codes, scanner and Cyclops can be used painfully in VR. I found the point spot at the extreme lower left edge of the left screen. It's easier to try to find it with the scanner interface. I can use the Cyclops fully but I often deplete its batteries because of accidental activation of the wrong power hungry devices. However it's strange that the point spot is perfectly centered for lighting activation panel… I don't know if this absurd point would be located at the same place for everybody. I'm using a rift CV1.

Ah, and I cannot adjust the sound level with my keyboard commands. It seems overridden by the game.
    Thanks for your respsonse. Can we maybe get a sticky for this mods!
    I guess we are still awaiting any recognition from the devs. They must be too busy working on Xbox..
    We VR users are in minority here, I guess that fixing the VR issue is low priority.
  • CEWagnerCEWagner Join Date: 2018-04-10 Member: 239935Members
    Habitat tool locks up so you cannot interact without a restart in VR.
  • ProntiusProntius Join Date: 2018-04-10 Member: 239941Members
    Also confirm these bugs.
    The two most frustrating for me were:
    • Not being able to click the camera button in the cyclops. The cursor is not lined up
    • Not being able to input codes to open doors. The center cursor is randomly offset from what button you will click.

I can't play until these bugs are fixed. It's a shame because this would be one of the best VR games if it was polished up a bit.
    Any updates on this devs?
  • EnvidiaProEnvidiaPro United States Join Date: 2018-04-17 Member: 240137Members
    edited April 2018
    I cannot believe they took the game out of early access when half of the VR stuff is broken. Bad move on their part. Really liked the devs since the very beginning, but it seems they've grown lazy since they got some money in their pockets. I'm absolutely in love with this game, but I shouldn't have to play on a monitor if I want to use the scanner room or I don't want to deal with finding the engine start button on the Cyclops, not to mention silent running and Sonar have absolutely no prompts in VR. This game was really made to be played with an HMD and it's so disappointing that after all these years they still haven't fixed these huge VR issues. I'm starting to think that they needed money so they took it out of early access even though it's pretty much still a beta in VR. I bought this game when it was first released in early access and watched the game grow into something beautiful, but now I feel the devs have grown stagnant with improving the game and I'm doubtful these issues will ever be fixed. If they do then I'll happily change my steam review.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention the VR bug where you dock the Seamoth or Prawn in the Cyclops and you are immediately spawned outside of the ship while you helplessly watch as your Cyclops flies up to the moon and then drops about 2000m away from you. This happens almost everytime in VR. Hasn't happened to me once while playing on my monitor.
    Is that docking + flying cyclops bug still there in VR? I thought there was an update to address something similar for non-VR players.

Update 83 - March 8, 2018:
    "Cyclops hatch door collider fixed"
    I built my first Cyclops well after that update and the bug is still here. Does anybody tried my trick ? It's not 100% reliable but when I'm ejected I'm still in the Cyclops' cargo bay at worst…
    CEWagner wrote: »
    Habitat tool locks up so you cannot interact without a restart in VR.

Can you elaborate on this ? I have no bugs with the habitat tool.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2018
    Unfortunately, that does not fix the VR issue with the cyclops.

The known VR bugs are here, and most of the things in here are on it.

I do most of the VR testing so please let me know If I missed something and there should be a card on it.

EDIT: Also it would be super good to know what Vr system you are using.
    There is only one report with the VR tag over there ??
    I'll try to expand the list when I'll get free time.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @Bogey_Jammer scroll over, that card you see is just in the inbox, there's a full section for vr to the right. :)
    So an update came out today with zero notes about VR issues. I guess we are still a small demographic...
    I have played this game on a Samsung Odyssey, a Rift CV1, and an HTC Vive. The issues exist on all of them. I can also confirm the double horizon on all systems.

It is still virtually impossible to fly the cyclops in VR, making it impossible to finish the game, or seek any enjoyment out of a game i paid full price for.

Please sticky this thread mods!
  • bloodyfingerbloodyfinger Canada Join Date: 2018-04-28 Member: 240397Members
    Cyclops still not pilotable in VR.
    How disappointing.

Just plain weak..
  • wtfigorwtfigor Join Date: 2018-05-21 Member: 240851Members
    edited May 2018
    Here to echo all other comments. Bought game Friday specifically for VR - put 13 hours in and got to the cyclops, was shocked to see it fly away during first docking - turned the coolest moment of the game for me from awesome to disappointing.

How is this a non-beta version is beyond me. Disappointed.

Any response from devs what-so-ever on this?
    I love this game in 2D. But please just remove the Vive and Oculus tags from the steam store page to stop people buying this expecting a functioning VR game. mid to late game is broken in VR since you can't use keypads or select some of the cyclops buttons.
  • OCHOBAOCHOBA Россия Join Date: 2018-06-11 Member: 241326Members
    HELP GUYS MY GAME DO NOT SAVE... >:)
  • RazorboyRazorboy Join Date: 2018-06-11 Member: 241327Members
    Just got this game in the Steam sale. Trying to play in VR but the game wont work with my xbox controller. The controller works on steam and it works on the game when its not in Vr mode but when I lauch game in VR mode the controller doesnt work. I have it enabled in the options. Anyone with any idears would be great. Brill game was so looking forward to it in Vr