Subnautica completed - My verdict (Contains major spoilers! And suggestions)

mono_no_awaremono_no_aware Join Date: 2018-04-28 Member: 240395Members
edited May 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
So, I've completed Subnautica. Got all 5 cuddlefish, built 5 bases, got all vehicles and craftable items, etc. It took 68 hours in total which, I have to say, is incredibly short. Despite initially finding the game exciting and addictive, the gameplay becomes very repetitive and there just isn't enough to do or enough variety in the things you can do. Also, as has been said by many other players, the ending seemed rushed and I felt a great sense of disappointment. Having finally met the Sea Emperor, it only took 2 or 3 hours from that point to beat the game. And I didn't feel any emotion for the Sea Emperor dying. It was all over so quickly I never got to know her. I didn't feel any emotion for leaving the planet either. I was much more emotional about the fact I had no reason to return.

Some other things I didn't like:
  • A minor one, but I'm not a great fan of the voice acting for the Sea Emperor. This is personal taste but it doesn't sound how I imagine a thousand year old telepathic sea monster would sound.
  • It is a shame you couldn't interact more with the Sea Emperor and/or her children. For example, it would've been great to make them companions or have them give side quests.
  • I was under the impression I would come into contact with the aliens who built the enforcement platform, as they seemed to be aware of my presence (through radio messages) and sounded quite threatening. Another missed opportunity or intentionally left out due to time constraints?
  • The Inactive Lava Zone, aside from the obvious danger, is incredibly boring. No variety to the fauna, no flora and scenery is really rather bland.
  • Just not enough content!

I felt there could've been a little more land, more habitat options, a few side quests, as well as more to the story! Some examples:
  • Maybe have a few rock outcrops to the North covered in nesting skyrays, with clues on one of them about nearby hidden treasure (could be the final act of the Degasis)
  • Habitat options could include a conservatory/greenhouse room, wind/wave power options.
  • Craftable furniture items are currently mainly all functional, which is a shame when the game is so short. It may sound silly, but if we want to make this planet something to return to, why not have items like deckchairs or beach huts, or the ability to make a marina to dock your vehicles?
  • Side quest ideas could include a ghost sub/ship and/or island which sails slowly in a predefined circuit around the map. This could have a side quest attached and/or could be made into a floating base?
  • How about putting something to find at the top of the mountain island? Or awarding achievements for putting Alterra flags at the 3 highest and 3 deepest points in the map?
  • A new game+ mode where items/habitats require double resources?
  • A booby trapped/haunted Degasi mine with maglev mining carts, mining lasers and PDAs taunting the player?
Just some ideas off the top of my head. I'm sure the guys at Unknown Worlds and in the community could come up with many many more.

Having said all of that, I don't regret buying the game. I'm just very passionate about a good game that I think could be great. Exploring an alien ocean world is a fantastic concept and was a fun, but sadly short lived experience. I also appreciate the team at Unknown Worlds isn't as big as some other teams and there are cost/time constraints. However, I will definitely be purchasing the expansion when it comes out! As for Subnautica as it is, sadly I don't think I'll play it again in the near future unless they add (a lot) more content with a greater focus on replayability.

Comments

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I was under the impression I would come into contact with the aliens who built the enforcement platform, as they seemed to be aware of my presence (through radio messages) and sounded quite threatening. Another missed opportunity or intentionally left out due to time constraints?
    Those were warpers. They do come into contact with. The only alien transmission is most likely a notice to the other facilities that you possibly encounter by being on the same wavelength.
    Maybe have a few rock outcrops to the North covered in nesting skyrays, with clues on one of them about nearby hidden treasure (could be the final act of the Degassis)
    Habitat options could include a conservatory/greenhouse room, wind/wave power options.
    Craftable furniture items are currently mainly all functional, which is a shame when the game is so short. It may sound silly, but if we want to make this planet something to return to, why not have items like deckchairs or beach huts, or the ability to make a marina to dock your vehicles?
    Side quest ideas could include a ghost sub/ship and/or island which sails slowly in a predefined circuit around the map. This could have a side quest attached and/or could be made into a floating base?
    How about putting something to find at the top of the mountain island? Or awarding achievements for putting Alterra flags at the 3 highest and 3 deepest points in the map?
    A new game+ mode where items/habitats require double resources?
    A booby trapped/haunted Degrassi mine with maglev mining carts, mining lasers and PDAs taunting the player?
    Can't say I agree with all of them, but some do sound good.

Overall, pretty good ideas.
  • mono_no_awaremono_no_aware Join Date: 2018-04-28 Member: 240395Members
    edited May 2018
    I was under the impression I would come into contact with the aliens who built the enforcement platform, as they seemed to be aware of my presence (through radio messages) and sounded quite threatening. Another missed opportunity or intentionally left out due to time constraints?
    Those were warpers. They do come into contact with. The only alien transmission is most likely a notice to the other facilities that you possibly encounter by being on the same wavelength.

Ahh, I see. The messages are from Warpers. Their creators, the Precursors, don't show up though... presumed extinct. Would've been great if a Precursor faction showed up on freeing the Sea Emperor babies though!
    Maybe have a few rock outcrops to the North covered in nesting skyrays, with clues on one of them about nearby hidden treasure (could be the final act of the Degassis)
    Habitat options could include a conservatory/greenhouse room, wind/wave power options.
    Craftable furniture items are currently mainly all functional, which is a shame when the game is so short. It may sound silly, but if we want to make this planet something to return to, why not have items like deckchairs or beach huts, or the ability to make a marina to dock your vehicles?
    Side quest ideas could include a ghost sub/ship and/or island which sails slowly in a predefined circuit around the map. This could have a side quest attached and/or could be made into a floating base?
    How about putting something to find at the top of the mountain island? Or awarding achievements for putting Alterra flags at the 3 highest and 3 deepest points in the map?
    A booby trapped/haunted Degrassi mine with maglev mining carts, mining lasers and PDAs taunting the player?
    Can't say I agree with all of them, but some do sound good.

Overall, pretty good ideas.

Thanks for the response. I realise it's probably pointless giving gameplay/story suggestions. The UW team are too busy fixing bugs, making everything work properly for VR/consoles etc, and would never implement one fan's ideas (and would probably not even read them!), but I was really just giving examples of the potential for much more content. Also, adding achievements, trophies and ranks related to scanning, exploring and crafting is probably the easiest way to extend the life of a game.

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited May 2018
    Not sure why they would show up as soon as you hatch the babies. They are either are all and if there are any left they are probably still finding a cure for kharaa on the other planets they built facilities on.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    I could be wrong, but it's likely the species is still around, but never coming back to the planet. Anyone on the planet would of died due to the quarantine. The giant cannon is not picky. :D
  • HazelnutHazelnut Join Date: 2018-05-13 Member: 240698Members
    I think a new game+ mode would be very nice, since I also loved the game but the end was so quick I am now dispointed to have no objectives left to give me reason to play anymore.

I don't like that idea of simply requiring more grinding though. Have some thoughts I will elaborate on when I can create a new topic tomorrow. Hopefully my suggestions wouldn't be too much work to implement either by the devs or as mods. My ideal version would, so have filtered stuff out that is too much change from existing game/storyline.