What do you guys use as your overflow materials storage solution of choice? (Early stages of game)

Goldengoose7Goldengoose7 California USA Join Date: 2018-04-26 Member: 240346Members
Right now I have a bunch of the floating waterproof storage boxes circling my LifePod. I had assumed something larger and more permanent would make itself known by now, but so far I have yet to find anything larger that I can actually place under my Pod or even on a nearby island.

I have the ability to build a bunch of various structures including the item called "Locker - Large, freestanding storage" but when I attempt to place it down on either the seafloor or on dry land, the thing is always RED and won't appear. I have the Quartz and Titanium x2 on hand, so not sure what is up with that. (playing the latest Beta/experimental version of the game)

Obviously, what I am really after is a large storage solution I can place on the seafloor directly under my Pod so I can get rid of all these Floating WaterProof boxes. They are handy and cool, but I need way too many to contain all the junk I have collected so far. Plus there is no easy way to label them so I know what is inside without actually opening each one up one by one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    edited April 2018
    Anything besides the floating locker requires a building, so until you can build structures, the floating lockers are your only option.

Finding the materials to get your habitat builder can be a bit challenging in the early game, but it's definitely rewarding when you can build your first base. :3
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    Yeah, you need to build a base. The general instructions on how to build a base are in the databank for the Habitat Builder. (BTW you need a habitat builder to build a base.
    To make a good base, go to the floater island and scan the base pieces there.
  • Goldengoose7Goldengoose7 California USA Join Date: 2018-04-26 Member: 240346Members
    edited April 2018
    Thanks guys!

I finally broke down and watched some YouTub videos on how all this works. I was trying to figure it out without any aids, but the building process is definitely unique and not obvious until you see how its done.

I am used to No Man's Sky base building and was missing the second part of the process where you have to make the placed module APPEAR/FORM by using the building tool.

Finally crafted my first module and was able to fit it with three of those large storage lockers. Stashed all my stuff in those and then cleaned up the area by removing all the floating storage boxes.

Question... Can you BREAK DOWN items back into their constituent parts? I can't figure out how to get rid of stuff I don't need anymore, like all these waterproof storage boxes.

Do you just take it out somewhere a distance away from your HQ an dump it all? That is what I did for the time being, but would love to know how to DELETE stuff out of your inventory and have it permanently gone. Being able to get back the raw materials would be even better.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I just aquired the SeaMoth submarine! This thing ROCKS! Finally a vehicle I can really get into using. :smiley:
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    There is an buildable trash can that can be placed in a sea base that deletes anything you place in it, other than used reactor rods (You'll figure that out later). It doesn't give you anything back, it just gets rid of them. You get them from scanning a trash can in a wreck. I'm pretty sure that they are around some small wrecks in the safe shallows.
  • BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members
    Thanks guys!

I am used to No Man's Sky base building and was missing the second part of the process where you have to make the placed module APPEAR/FORM by using the building tool.

Question... Can you BREAK DOWN items back into their constituent parts? I can't figure out how to get rid of stuff I don't need anymore, like all these waterproof storage boxes.

Do you just take it out somewhere a distance away from your HQ an dump it all? That is what I did for the time being, but would love to know how to DELETE stuff out of your inventory and have it permanently gone. Being able to get back the raw materials would be even better.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I just aquired the SeaMoth submarine! This thing ROCKS! Finally a vehicle I can really get into using. :smiley:

Heh, I also came over from No Man's Sky and found the transition a little jarring at first.

You CANNOT break down items back into their parts again (except for buildings.) So you're stuck with the waterproof storage boxes. You can build a trash can and put stuff in there, which removes them from the game. That's the way to delete things you don't want chewing up space in your storage.

I have a relatively small base but it's filled with many, many lockers. That's how I keep things organized. I have four lockers for Titanium, and then one each for most of the other elements. I'm almost near the end of the game, so I have a huge cache of materials now, so much so that I had to stop mining for diamonds LOL. But in the beginning you start making lockers and as you fill them up, grab more scrap metal and make more titanium, to make more lockers.

The floating lockers are good when you set up a temporary base or remote base. I set up a tiny base on one of the islands. As I was building it, I used a floating locker on the shore to store the materials. They are also useful to place around the map with critical items (food, medicine, water) in case you get in trouble far from home. Just put a beacon nearby so you can find them.

• Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    If you make another trip to the floating island (south west of Aurora)...
    Be sure to scan the outdoor / indoor growbeds from the 3 bases there. Also use your knife and cut some Marble Melons to get seeds for planting. This will make your survival much easier as Marble Melons offer decent food and water sustenance. You may also want to grab a Lantern Fruit for planting, as these are a good early game energy source for when you find the Bioreactor blueprint.
  • Goldengoose7Goldengoose7 California USA Join Date: 2018-04-26 Member: 240346Members
    There is an buildable trash can that can be placed in a sea base that deletes anything you place in it, other than used reactor rods (You'll figure that out later). It doesn't give you anything back, it just gets rid of them. You get them from scanning a trash can in a wreck. I'm pretty sure that they are around some small wrecks in the safe shallows.

YES! I got the blueprint to that special trash can and made one. It works great for getting rid of stuff you don't need or want anymore.

I dropped about 10 of those floating lockers in there and kept 8 for future use. :)

I've built a pretty cool base at my LifePod site because I liked the location. Built the MoonPool for my SeaMoth and added that modification terminal so I could paint it yellow and rename it.

My next goal is to build a Cyclops. :)

Heh, I also came over from No Man's Sky and found the transition a little jarring at first.

I really miss not being able to rotate base objects before placing them like you can in NMS's base building process. Unless I am missing something?

I really miss not being able to rotate base objects before placing them like you can in NMS's base building process. Unless I am missing something?

I believe while you can see the hologram, use the mouse wheel to rotate the object.
  • BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members

Use the mouse wheel to rotate before you place!

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Before I get my base built, I usually find the closest slight hollow below Lifepod #5 and store my extra stuff there temporarily.
    Everything you gather becomes a permanent item to use, unless you dispose of it in the Garbage Can.
    So anything you set on the seafloor will still be there when you go back for it at a later time.
    I use this trick a lot while gathering stuff in the deeper parts of the game.
    Just pick a spot, place a Buoy Marker and dump your excess there as a free-form larder.
    Just make sure you aren't placing the stuff on any kind of slant, cause the 'rounder' stuff will tend to roll away.
    B)

Use the mouse wheel to rotate before you place!

Is there a "Controller" equivelant to that action? I am playing the game with my XB1 Elite Controller on my PC, and while I do use a wireless "Mini-Keyboard" for navigating around Windows etc. I just have a trackpad on this keyboard and not an actual mouse.

This machine is exclusively a gaming PC. I don't do any actual work on it. Not even email or web browsing 99% of the time.

edited May 2018
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Before I get my base built, I usually find the closest slight hollow below Lifepod #5 and store my extra stuff there temporarily.
    Everything you gather becomes a permanent item to use, unless you dispose of it in the Garbage Can.
    So anything you set on the seafloor will still be there when you go back for it at a later time.
    I use this trick a lot while gathering stuff in the deeper parts of the game.
    Just pick a spot, place a Buoy Marker and dump your excess there as a free-form larder.
    Just make sure you aren't placing the stuff on any kind of slant, cause the 'rounder' stuff will tend to roll away.
    B)

That's a really clever idea! I had considered doing something along those lines, but I wasn't sure if items dropped on the seabed were indeed permanently maintained in that exact spot.

Thanks for that helpful bit of info! :) Good to know that they are for future reference.

Since I started this thread I have progressed quite a bit from where I was then, and have built a medium size base on a natural outcrop about 50 meters over from where my original Pod is located. I didn't set out to make a base here, but after playing around with learning the ins and outs of base building in the game, I created something I really like. So... I am currently using this as my base of operations.

I'm even powering it with a Nuclear Reactor so that I have constant power to everything even in the middle of the night. :) A bit overkill, but it sprung out of an experiment in learning how to build a reactor and how the power is distributed compared to using Solar panels.

I'm still confused as to why your can't use those power transmitters to relay power to other structures that are not physically connected to the main base that includes the reactor building.

Any idea why the developers have divided the power sources into two camps like that? It doesn't make much sense from a practical/scientific perspective.
  • DarkStar88DarkStar88 Omaha, NE Join Date: 2018-05-03 Member: 240491Members
    Giant Coral Tubes are invaluable for material storage. You can 'block off' one end with a few things that are less-rolly like the salvage pieces and drop more rolly things like titanium blobs in the top. It all bottles up into a very convenient "horn of plenty", and you can reclaim 100% of your stored material when it's time to move on.
    Haha I've never thought to use the coral tubes in that manner. Clever.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    DarkStar88 wrote: »
    Giant Coral Tubes are invaluable for material storage. You can 'block off' one end with a few things that are less-rolly like the salvage pieces and drop more rolly things like titanium blobs in the top. It all bottles up into a very convenient "horn of plenty", and you can reclaim 100% of your stored material when it's time to move on.

Thinking outside the box, good show sir!