Why you don't use the nuclear reactor

Comments

• WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    Laziness I guess. I'm always going to lean towards solar/thermal because they are set up and forget.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I actually forgot all about the Nuka powered generator. Finding a fragment to scan reminded me of their existence, but hey free titanium ey.

Thermal > Bio > Solar > Nukes
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • BTown780BTown780 Canada Join Date: 2018-04-10 Member: 239944Members
    Laziness I guess. I'm always going to lean towards solar/thermal because they are set up and forget.

Yeah, this is the super simple answer.
    Meh dunno, it sounds more like efficiency to me :D
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Laziness and efficiency go hand in hand.
  • AzythAzyth Canada Join Date: 2018-04-11 Member: 239983Members
    Ehm, I use nuclear reactors with other sources as well. Early game, no, but late game I don't see why not? I have a base 1km under the surface. I have both thermo as well as nuclear plant. Bio is hard because there's no fish to grab and the farmed plants don't last long enough. So nuclear and thermo are the way to go. I have both.

On my surface base near the lifepod, I don't have one. I have thermo, bio and lots of solar panels.

It's not "which one is better" it's can you use everything everywhere? 1KM underwater doesn't have sunlight nor small living creaters for bio. I simply don't have a choice ;)
    edited April 2018
    Azyth wrote: »
    Ehm, I use nuclear reactors with other sources as well. Early game, no, but late game I don't see why not? I have a base 1km under the surface. I have both thermo as well as nuclear plant. Bio is hard because there's no fish to grab and the farmed plants don't last long enough. So nuclear and thermo are the way to go. I have both.

On my surface base near the lifepod, I don't have one. I have thermo, bio and lots of solar panels.

It's not "which one is better" it's can you use everything everywhere? 1KM underwater doesn't have sunlight nor small living creaters for bio. I simply don't have a choice ;)

PROTIP: Get yourself a few Lantern trees in the bio reactor multipurpose room.
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Alien Containment loaded with Oculus fish. Place atleast two of them in there, and they will multiply in no time at all. They are worth 630 Energy each in a bio reactor, which which is one of if not the highest per single space in the game. That lasts a long time in a bio reactor when full loaded, and they respawn way faster than they can be bio-reacted. You can find them in the Jellyshroom Caves.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    BTown780 wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Alien Containment loaded with Oculus fish. Place atleast two of them in there, and they will multiply in no time at all. They are worth 630 Energy each in a bio reactor, which which is one of if not the highest per single space in the game. That lasts a long time in a bio reactor when full loaded, and they respawn way faster than they can be bio-reacted. You can find them in the Jellyshroom Caves.

Reginalds work even better. 800 energy each, I think.
    I think Reginalds were nerfed power wise.
    Still worth it for the nutritious value.

I farm peepers, the net result is nearly the same, they are cuter and I can sacrifice it to other creatures.
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    I think Reginalds were nerfed power wise.
    Still worth it for the nutritious value.

I farm peepers, the net result is nearly the same, they are cuter and I can sacrifice it to other creatures.

Yeah that's accurate @kingkuma, the Reginald used to be the king. Was nerfed down to 490, as opposed to the Oculus which is 630 each.

BTown780 wrote: »
    Yeah that's accurate @kingkuma, the Reginald used to be the king. Was nerfed down to 490, as opposed to the Oculus which is 630 each.
    I think they did it so you have different fishes for different purposes. Otherwise it would be pointless to farm any other fish after you acquire a pair of Reginalds. One is best suited as food, the other as power source and Peepers are the peepest.
  • neraxnerax Join Date: 2018-04-03 Member: 239757Members
    Well, I haven't reached any case scenario where I would need more power than thermal+bio ...

Why a nuclear reactor if there is no room/machineries gulping down energy like madness ?

In my opinion, nuclear reactors should be set up and forget: fast and infinite energy.

Something along the line of self contained nuclear reactors meant to last 20 to 30 years...

That would be an incentive to built them and use them !
  • TheukondosTheukondos Join Date: 2018-04-18 Member: 240150Members
    While I haven't gotten far enough in the game to get a nuclear reactor, I haven't seen a reason to use them yet. I currently have 2 in my base, along with 2 interior grow beds that each have 4 lantern trees. and currently they produce around 20x the fuel that my base needs. So if I did need more power, I would much rather build more Bio-reactors and maybe need a couple more grow beds.
  • BaleBale France Join Date: 2015-09-05 Member: 207737Members
    I do use a nuclear reactor. I have a base in Lost River. I could have used several thermal plants howewer the cost of 4 thermal plants is superior to the cost of one nuclear generator, just based on initial cost, it is not worth it. I dont really know why you all think that nuclear reactor and nuclear rods are expensive, maybe it comes from a prior maj ? ( or is it that i am filthy rich ? B) ).

Bio reactors are such a hassle to maintain : cut vines , plant melons and recolt them, grab fish and so on. It is fun in the beginning but after a while you just grab your knife and go out to kill everything you see in order to vent your frustration. >:)

Thermal plants are good but you need more than one : so i find them really expensive. :/

Nuclear reactor is love ! <3 Nuclear reactor is peace ! o:) Just build it, make 2 nuclear rods and done. It lasts forever to the point i am starting to think it is gamebreaking.

And i dont kill fish with knife anymore ! <3
    @Bale

You're trolling, right?
    I consider the cost of 4 thermal plants nearly equivalent to a nuclear one, not taking into account the rods cost.
    Rods don't last forever. If you fully charge a PRAWN one hundred times it is gone. If you fully recharge a battery 200 times it is gone. If you include other energy sinks; as scanner room, water filtration and such; recharge 3-4 batteries and a vehicle every other trip, it will run out faster than you imagine.

A bioreactor paired with an alien containment unit will behave very similarly to a nuclear reactor. And the bioreactor only requires you to fill it, not removing depleted rods before installing new ones. And disposing of it in a specific container.

It is less of a hassle compared to bio, but one nonetheless.

And why would one kill fishes with knifes?
  • HiguideHiguide NJ Join Date: 2017-04-03 Member: 229385Members
    its just easier to daisy chain transmitters while using a cluster of thermals. nuclear just too much maintence to dedicate entire trips for uranite and lead. problem is that it lasts so short of a time. should at least have a buff that it lasts longer than other sources
    The initial cost of thermal just makes so much sense when you consider it's set and forget.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I use nuclear as a backup for my thermals, in case I'm drawing heavily on the thermals. Also helps when power chain is being laggy on load.
  • BaleBale France Join Date: 2015-09-05 Member: 207737Members
    @Maalteromm
    @Bale

You're trolling, right?
    I consider the cost of 4 thermal plants nearly equivalent to a nuclear one, not taking into account the rods cost.
    Rods don't last forever. If you fully charge a PRAWN one hundred times it is gone. If you fully recharge a battery 200 times it is gone. If you include other energy sinks; as scanner room, water filtration and such; recharge 3-4 batteries and a vehicle every other trip, it will run out faster than you imagine.

A bioreactor paired with an alien containment unit will behave very similarly to a nuclear reactor. And the bioreactor only requires you to fill it, not removing depleted rods before installing new ones. And disposing of it in a specific container.

It is less of a hassle compared to bio, but one nonetheless.

Nope. Not trolling.

Fully charge a prawn one hundred times ? :o Fully recharge batteries 200 times ? :oThat's pretty much eternal to me. And is it for just one nuclear rod ? Dear God. I even underestimated the nuclear rods.

As for the others "energy sinks" : i have them too in my base. I have yet to deplete a single nuclear rod.
    • 4 thermal plants requires 20 titanium , 8 magnetites and 4 aerogel.
    • 1 nuclear reactor costs 1 plasteel ingot, 1 advanced wiring kit and 3 leads.
    • nuclear rods are pretty cheap : one glass, one lead, one titanium and 3 uraninite crystals, the only thing here which could be troublesome here are the uraninite crystals but if you are in Lost River or Lava Region, it is no problem at all. You can even find quartz, lead and titanium there. Everything.

For the average cost, let's say it is equivalent ( just comparing thermal plants and nuclear reactor, nuclear reactor is cheaper ) . But :

To build 4 thermal plants you need a full inventory, and to build one nuclear reactor you need 5 slots. It is a detail but it is something i find to be really important when you build bases.

I really do like the nuclear reactor. <3

@Bale
    Fully charge a prawn one hundred times ? :o Fully recharge batteries 200 times ? :o That's pretty much eternal to me. And is it for just one nuclear rod ? Dear God. I even underestimated the nuclear rods.
    Nope, thermal is eternal. It can charge infinite PRAWNS, batteries or whatever. Thermal and solar are the quintessences of eternal in this game, since no matter how long you play it they will provide the same amount of energy it provided on the game day you installed it.
    It seems much this "per rod" amount, but it quickly depletes if it is your only power source.
    To build 4 thermal plants you need a full inventory, and to build one nuclear reactor you need 5 slots. It is a detail but it is something i find to be really important when you build bases.
    You don't build a fully fledged base with a single inventory. You either do multiple runs or bring it all in a cyclops.
    Want another point for thermal? Base space management. Nuclear requires an entire multipurpose room just for itself, leaving little space for anything else besides lockers or small wall mounted utilities. This also boosts your base integrity.

The only major point going for nuclear is building bases in remote locations without access for renewable power sources.
    I had a base near the limit for solar panels in which I used nuclear, like @narfblat, as secondary power. Between long trips the solars fully charged and most energy requirements were supplied by it. With 8 panels, they stored enough to fully charge a PRAWN and two batteries (or a seamoth and four bats) and the nuclear kicked in to provide any extra power (solars took ~2-3 days to recharge). Still had to swap a few reactor rods during that playthrough (however back then they provided much less energy, roughly 10x less).
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I used to find that only a nuclear reactor could keep up with two water filtration machines, where it took SIX thermal reactors to provide the same output. This is no longer the case. It seems they reduced the power requirements of the water machines because just one thermal reactor kept up quite well in a test case.

As for how fast the rods get used up, I've found they last a very, /very/ long time. In my current game I think I've had to replace one rod over several weeks of in-game time. If I'm playing that long, gathering materials for more rods is relatively trivial.

Also, I can't help but wonder how long your game is going if you're charging a Seamoth, I'm assuming from empty to full, 100 times. Or 200 empty batteries. Even in my longest games I don't linger long enough to warrant such activity. o.O

Anyway, even though you do have to replace the rods now and then, for me, nuclear power has very nearly been "set and forget".
  • HikawikaHikawika England Join Date: 2018-04-06 Member: 239843Members
    thermal plants and solar is better imo. you cant transmit power from them to your base (power transmitter costs 1 titanium and u cant place them reasonably far apart, so u wont need that many). Anything that needs "feeding" is a drain on resources and your character,. Anything that is free and self sufficient is a winner :smile:

• baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members

Early on, when you have a heatblade, killing them also cooks them. This is handy if you do something stupid like forget to bring enough food with you, or forget to bring any at all, and are many kilometers away from your base.
  • BasileusMaximosBasileusMaximos Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240257Members
    As they are now, nuclear reactor rods should have a lifespan that is functionally infinite. That would justify the price and the building of nuclear reactors.
  • BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members
    I totally use the nuke reactors. I have a base that is filled with power cell chargers (next to my cyclops dock); the dock also has a lot of lights, so it needs a lot of juice. I found a huge cache of uranite so making the rods isn't a problem. But I admit I did this very late in the game; earlier on, it would have been impossible without the uranite.
    I totally use the nuke reactors. I have a base that is filled with power cell chargers (next to my cyclops dock); the dock also has a lot of lights, so it needs a lot of juice. I found a huge cache of uranite so making the rods isn't a problem. But I admit I did this very late in the game; earlier on, it would have been impossible without the uranite.

But why several PCchargers? Just build your "dock" over a thermal vent and let the cyclops charge itself.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    Personally, the idea of having a nuclear reactor is much cooler than the reality. I just like the idea of non-maintenance power (solar-panel, thermal plant). I use the bioreactor, because its cheap to make, and there are living creatures or plants in every biome, other than the dead zone.