Allow player to tame predators

thomwblairthomwblair USA Join Date: 2018-04-13 Member: 240028Members
edited April 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
If players were allowed to tame predators so they would not attack the player, that would be a great way to teach peaceful problem-solving skills. For example, feeding predators with their preferred food or even toys (the Stalkers obviously like to chew on metal) could be a ways to tame the killing instinct in these violent animals and give Subnautica more of a pacifist, problem-solving atmosphere.

If it's possible to co-exist with apex predators on earth, then why not in Subnautica too?
Here are several good examples of people who have learned how to live side-by-side with predators:
- Ocean Ramsey: the Shark Whisperer
- Charlie Vandergaw: the Man Who Lives With Bears
- Kevin Richardson: the Lion Whisperer

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    cough stalkers can already e temporary tame cough

AHH my throat
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Then what's the point of having predators?

If they're friendly, they aint even a predator.
  • zontwitchzontwitch Canada Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238022Members
    While I wouldn't walk within 30 yards of a lion in the wild I am uncertain as to whether they would even attack because unless they are starving or mistake us for their prey then predators tend to stick to prey that they are used to hunting, same thing with sharks. If anything a predator is more likely to attack or kill you because it is being territorial.
  • Sea_x_HawkSea_x_Hawk North Texas Join Date: 2016-07-17 Member: 220337Members
    edited April 2018
    I had a similar idea for taming but you simply keep the egg in your inventory until it hatches, and then it becomes your pet and follows you (you release it in the water or an aquarium). Aggressive creatures fight for you, and ones with abilities can help you with those abilities in the right situation. One creature per player, but you can swap them out in the aquarium, and have multiple "tames."
  • YamiHikariYamiHikari Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240266Members
    I don't think this would work out very well. I see predators as something that should be feared and avoided as an obstacle, instead of being a tool that the player uses to accomplish tasks or have as pets. It goes a bit against the concepts of the predators, themselves, in my opinion.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    Sea_x_Hawk wrote: »
    I had a similar idea for taming but you simply keep the egg in your inventory until it hatches, and then it becomes your pet and follows you

40779844255_b937131a07_o.jpg

• VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    I'm pretty sure you can (temporarily) tame a lot of predators in game.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'm pretty sure you can (temporarily) tame a lot of predators in game.

Well, there is a reason...
    ...why this is a thumbnail for one of my vids :trollface:
    mqdefault.jpg
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    One of the things they need to improve is having a more functional ''Taming" system, as part of more ways to interact with the world overall... Stalkers will leave you be for a fish, and you can bribe Reapers if you have fish for about as long as you have fish, to then be ate after if you run out, similar for Bone Sharks or Sand Sharks. But their "taming" code doesn't seem to work, far as for how many fish they will not attack you for;

Really if one is a provider of "free food," it is more likely one is not to be seen as food?
    maybe from the more social creatures. . .

To have something more as with from "Far Cry Primal" or that "Arch" game would improve things.
    (along with having scanning features on larger subs)
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    Predators hatched from eggs in the large aquarium do not attack players if you let them out into the world. While they don't follow you, I think that counts as tame. It can be a useful way of getting stalker teeth too. You can hatch a stalker and pick the place where you want it to be. Give it a couple of metal pieces to play with, and soon you'll get teeth there from a stalker who won't bother you! They do still steal your cameras though if you put them too close to your base...
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    ^^^ yeah I like how you can tame predators if you hatch them in the aquarium. Which I'm fine taming predators expect the hostile leviathans and maybe the defensive one as well
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    But a little mesmer buddy would be so handy!

It’d know if you’re low on food and lure in small fish for you to catch.
    You can already hatch a mesmer in game and it will be friendly towards you and it will lure fish towards itself to eat it, so you can use that to catch food, i guess
  • GenericInternetNameGenericInternetName Join Date: 2018-05-11 Member: 240660Members
    I only slightly agree. Some predators should be tameable, others should not.
    In fact, I think the leviathans shouldn't take food from you at all considering just how hard that would be to do so without biting off half your arm and killing you anyway given their size.

But yeah, I agree that you should be able to tame at least a few of Subnautica's less unthinkingly aggressive predators, and maybe even fully domesticate Stalkers. I mean, we do it all the time with animals here on Earth.
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    The idea like with feeding a large shark is not to put said arm inside their mouths.... :D

Rather that you release the food to them such they are able to get it easily, and really who'd pass up on free food vs having to go hunt , cook , or catch it? ;)

Stilly, yeah... as for how "Tame" / docile and for how long or such degrees is a good question.
    (along with that of other kinds of 'baits' than live or dead fish, perhaps)

It could be a fun post-game thing to set out bait balls and hand out treats to locals,
    and in time having them more tame also being friendly with ya not attacking after you when expecting to be fed such as long as you are not hostile either. (perhaps if you keep not having food they'd get annoyed..., lolz) Along with perhaps not attacking your vehicles as you are clearly their in / with them? idk...
  • ripjawwolffangripjawwolffang Australia nsw Join Date: 2018-06-13 Member: 241356Members
    edited June 2018
    A tame system for some of the predators would be bad ass. Even if it worked mostly the way it works now but just ave the creature “follow” you if you hatch it from an egg and then take it outside. Maybe only have one able to follow you at once or have to carry a certain thing with you to make it follow you, then have it have certain abilities based on what it already dose. Have stalkers swim off when they see something good and bring it to you... have those electric eel things repel enemy’s who naturally don’t want to get shocked... or maybe charge your batteries... have the mesmars able to lure in food for you... ofcoarse depending on the creature, if you took them somewhere dangerous and didn’t keep them safe somehow they could get eaten which would be a pain, but also make the whole world more dynamic and responsive in a lot of ways, since your not just having to take care of yourself but your creature, and you now have a whole bunch more options on ways to play. Being able to attach a little becomes to your tamed creatures would also be great...
    Oh and maybe for some of the creatures who won’t follow you they can serve as some kind of base function. Like let them go near your base and they can be trained to automatically collect nearby goodies for you slowly... something like a stalker who already dose this naturally, cold be trained to swim off, find a thing, pick it up and return it to a place for you. We have dogs and things already that can do tricks like this, as can dolphins...it’s not far fetched, and could be intensely useful.

Edit; oh have one work as a sort of sea glide. Grab it’s back and have it jet you along nice and quick without the cost in batteries. Lol and since you can only have one fishy friend following you, it wouldent be op. You’d have to sacrifice some other handy fish for it...

A fish that can carry a back pack and lung fish would also be fantastic;
  • TortureKing225TortureKing225 4546B, Safe Shoals Join Date: 2018-06-14 Member: 241406Members
    thomwblair That would be really cool!
  • DarkspearDarkspear Denmark Join Date: 2018-06-18 Member: 241522Members
    i just wish the tiger plants could be planted as base defense and it would'nt attack you...
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    edited June 2018
    Darkspear wrote: »
    i just wish the tiger plants could be planted as base defense and it would'nt attack you...

If you have a reinforced diving suit, you’ll be fine. But here’s a small list of predators that you can deploy outside your base and what they attack: Crabsnake, attacks biters, sandshark, attacks bonesharks, ampeel, attacks crabsquids, lava lizard, attacks lava larvae. That’s all I’ve found so far. Hope this helps!

EDIT: They will still attack your vehicles, however, so make sure to always have them docked in a moonpool or cyclops.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I've heard that crabsquids will attack warpers, but I haven't tested it.