Miniature Phase Gates

TheukondosTheukondos Join Date: 2018-04-18 Member: 240150Members
So this has probably been suggested before, but I searched it and wasn't able to find any threads that went into great detail, so here we go.

I think it would be fun to be able to unlock and build miniature phase-gates as a late-game transport option.

From a lore perspective, this makes perfect sense, as the whole reason the Aurora was shot into space was to build a new phase gate, not to mention the alien arches.

To unlock the phase gate initially, I propose making it require multiple parts to be scanned, akin to the cyclops, The Phase gate frame, The Phase gate core, and the phase gate stabilizer. all three would be found in the dunes, as that's the latest-game place I can think of other than caves, Though scanning an activated arch could be used as a substitute for, let's say 3/5 frame fragments. once all three blueprints have been scanned, the PDA will tell you that the Design was shrunken down to be buildable with available resources, so no, you can't use it to skip the main story. Once you do unlock the BP, you, of course, need to build it it. I think that a reasonable recipe would be 2 Ion power cells, 5 plasteel ingots, 1 advanced wiring kit, and 5 uranite crystals with the base builder.

The phase gate would be slightly bigger than a Cyclops, and would add 2000 power capacity to your base. To use, you would need to go to the phase gate controller and select the destination, similar to how you choose what the scanner room scans. After you do this the gate will Power up and form a blue portal. While forming the portal does not inherently use power, the power cost will vary based on what goes through. If a player goes through, that won't be expensive at all, perhaps only 300 power. If a sea moth goes through, that will be slightly more expensive at 500-700 power. A PRAWN suit will be moderately expensive at 1000-1500 power, and the Cyclops would cost the full 2000 power that the gate can store. A couple of things that should be noted. when warping with a gate, only the entrance has to be powered, but if the exit isn't powered, you won't be making a return trip. In addition, if both sides have power, then the cost will be divided between the two, so teleporting a cyclops would cost each base 1000 power.

So, that's just how I think Pase Gates could be implemented, and i would love to hear your feedback.

Comments

• ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    I believe something like this is in development (https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap mentions "Buildable teleporter room type")

I think the teleporters would most likely either be the same size as the alien teleporters or smaller, and would similarly require an ion cube to activate, but I would be unsure of the power requirements, given the thermal plant powers the alien arches. I do like the idea of selecting which one to go to like in the scanner room, but this would require being able to name bases (another idea I had and previously posted, other people have even had similar ideas). It would be cool to have a teleporter that can fit inside a Multipurpose Room (similar manner for the bio and nuclear reactors), or one that can be placed outside on a foundation so that a Seamoth and Prawn Suit can fit through, though there obviously needs to be limits (wouldn't want to accidentally teleport your Seamoth into the lava zone).
  • TheukondosTheukondos Join Date: 2018-04-18 Member: 240150Members
    I believe something like this is in development (https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap mentions "Buildable teleporter room type")

I think the teleporters would most likely either be the same size as the alien teleporters or smaller, and would similarly require an ion cube to activate, but I would be unsure of the power requirements, given the thermal plant powers the alien arches. I do like the idea of selecting which one to go to like in the scanner room, but this would require being able to name bases (another idea I had and previously posted, other people have even had similar ideas). It would be cool to have a teleporter that can fit inside a Multipurpose Room (similar manner for the bio and nuclear reactors), or one that can be placed outside on a foundation so that a Seamoth and Prawn Suit can fit through, though there obviously needs to be limits (wouldn't want to accidentally teleport your Seamoth into the lava zone).

interesting, also, what if the console could also be used to re-name the gate?