[Port] ns2_hera

13»

Comments

• XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
    edited April 2018
    Aha map is cursed :)

I'll finally work on the Rusty version ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=477378213&searchtext=hera ), I already talk a bit with him on Steam. It doesn't seems to need that much work

Spark Editor is very unfamilliar to me now. My previous work was de_mangashop, released for CS1.6/CSS/CS:GO

A few questions at the moment that will help me go faster (probably dumb for you) :

- Why when I Take Marine I'm stuck on the ground ? And then returning to ready room I'm stuck again... Same on official map thus...
    - What basic entities is needed for NS2 ? Despite from start/tech point/ressource ?
    - I read about IA (for APC & stuff), so I need to place some ? Will it work for bots too ? Do I need to place them in the ready-room also ?
    - Are elevators reliable on this 3D engine ? I remember lots of kills on NS3.2...
    - Not sure if, but since I'm here : welding point still exists on NS2 to open/close gates/vent for example ?
    - Rusty speak to me about "Lanes" what are those ?
    - how to evolve as onos when playing 1 player ? (to test the map)

thank you =)

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited April 2018
    Xale wrote: »
    Aha map is cursed :)

I'll finally work on the Rusty version ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=477378213&searchtext=hera ), I already talk a bit with him on Steam. It doesn't seems to need that much work

Spark Editor is very unfamilliar to me now. My previous work was de_mangashop, released for CS1.6/CSS/CS:GO

A few questions at the moment that will help me go faster (probably dumb for you) :

- Why when I Take Marine I'm stuck on the ground ? And then returning to ready room I'm stuck again... Same on official map thus...
    - What basic entities is needed for NS2 ? Despite from start/tech point/ressource ?
    - I read about IA (for APC & stuff), so I need to place some ? Will it work for bots too ? Do I need to place them in the ready-room also ?
    - Are elevators reliable on this 3D engine ? I remember lots of kills on NS3.2...
    - Not sure if, but since I'm here : welding point still exists on NS2 to open/close gates/vent for example ?

thank you =)

Not sure exactly what you mean by this.

Readyroomstart entities and ns2_gamerules is i believe all you need to load a map.

AI is done using a pathing mesh, there is a generate pathing button in the top tool bar, it calculates all the walkable space ai can use. It often needs revisions to get it right.

There are no elevators in ns2. (there is a mod) obviously AI cannot use elevators.

No welding points in ns2. (there is a mod)

Lanes are the frequent paths players take around the map. typically a map will have 2-3 lanes.

cheats 1
    onos

best thing to do is load up an official map and examine it yourself.
    edited April 2018

Not sure exactly what you mean by this.

It was a broken lua code from an item in the workshop

I'm a bit overbooked by lots of stuff but I promise to release an hera before 31 october 2018 :smile:
    Hey guys, giving some news,

I (finally) begin to be familliar with Spark :smile:

I have understand a TONS of stuff recently. I didn't much realised at the beginning, but those blender converted map are a bit of a pain in the ass :)

Actually they are 2 interesting hera on the workshop (both imported from blender I guess)

********** ns_hera by Avoca, later reworked |-DMD-| Rusty **********

This one has good graphic, but it's an NS1 alike mod. Meaning the alien can use the ladder, and marine doesn't need Power_nodes.

So biggest problem is the ladder that bloc the drifter.

Also, this one has a big problem : no OcclusionGeometry. So you guess it : framerate is horrible

********** ns2_hera by Kalopsia **********

This one has poor graphic, but some layout have been rework. Not perfect

So as I say on my signature, I'm working on Rusty version. I made some changes, but biggest problem at the moment is making the drifter (and welder robot) going everywhere without making any big deviation. But appart from that, the map play well.

You can see some screenshots here :

https://steamcommunity.com/id/xale_gc/screenshots/

As I said my objectif was to make a playable map. I hope I'll be able to finish on the due date.

Also as some said, map is maybe a bit tiny. So I may work on a basic layout just to see the dimension. I just took a screenshot with 512*512 scale. Now I need to compare with official map.

bu1kzd326dpm.png

If I have the motivation maybe I'll do a new hera from scratch... But any help would be welcome. I try to pm Janos & Alibi about they previous work on their hera but got no news :/

Hey guys I've been quite silent these times. I have good and bad news :

Bad news :

- I have a hard Tendinosis on my harm so I try not to use it too much these times.
    - Altough I was very excited at the begining, the motivation went down these times
    - Let's face it, getting an ns_hera from the original map is a bit messy and buggy.

Good news :

- I finally purchased a descent computer (Core i5) to replace my old Core2duo. Still need to install everything thus.
    - My mission at work could end in november. This could result as "inter-contract" leaving me more free time.
    - I began to optimise the map with "occlusion-geometry", wich means it's in an advanced state anyway I guess.

About starting from skratch, I think this will be the best solution of course. My project would be to create generic Rooms. There's about 10 rooms, so If I find people to help, this could be quick (using some actual hera props and texture) and getting a descent hera (not looking for beeing the next official map atm. Just good gameplay).