Interactive Subnautica Map - subnauticamap.io

JoelBesadaJoelBesada Sweden Join Date: 2018-04-06 Member: 239851Members
Hey, we're two friends working on an interactive map for Subnautica at https://subnauticamap.io. We posted this on Reddit two weeks ago and the response and feedback has been great so far. I figured that I'd post about it here as well since I'm guessing that some of you would be interested to hear about it too.

We're actively working on adding new features based on your feedback, we're currently working on adding more layers to the map to display all the caves and islands. That has been a popular request by our users, and we hope to have it out within a week or two.

Please let us know what you think, we are always open to more feedback!

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    So why is not one of you replying, this shit is cool :D
  • zontwitchzontwitch Canada Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238022Members
    Love it!

Possible improvements:
    • Add your starting life pod to the map as a reference point.
    • Perhaps add markers for high desirable items blueprints such as; Alien Containment, bioreactor, thermal reactor.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    zontwitch wrote: »
    Love it!

Possible improvements:
    • Add your starting life pod to the map as a reference point.
    • Perhaps add markers for high desirable items blueprints such as; Alien Containment, bioreactor, thermal reactor.

Idea one is impossible as the lifepod can spawn literally anywhere in the safe shallows.

As for the second, seems okay, but they're randomly generated. And, they're found at wrecks and lifepods, so it's kinda hard to mix it in.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    It's really well-made so far and it's especially easy to navigate. I'd personally like a layered map to show the lava zone, lost river & jelly shroom caves but it's still amazing as it is
  • BTown780BTown780 Canada Join Date: 2018-04-10 Member: 239944Members
    Awesome work @JoelBesada! Thanks for the efforts on this. Was really surprised this didn't exist already when I started playing.
  • JoelBesadaJoelBesada Sweden Join Date: 2018-04-06 Member: 239851Members
    Alright, layers for islands and the different caves have been added now, here's an example: https://subnauticamap.io/?layer=lostRiver&pois=aurora%2CalienBases
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Yeas, this is looking really good!
  • ejnomadejnomad Under the Sea Join Date: 2018-04-15 Member: 240078Members
    Wow is this amazing!
  • ElaoriElaori Join Date: 2017-04-08 Member: 229489Members
    This is awesome, great work!
  • diverboy09diverboy09 Join Date: 2018-04-21 Member: 240222Members
    you should add reasorce points
  • ChromeGuardsmanChromeGuardsman Missouri Join Date: 2018-04-21 Member: 240211Members
    diverboy09 wrote: »
    you should add resource points

wouldn't that cause the map to be way too cluttered?

i would like a way to have the major cave systems shown, in faded outline or whatever (or maybe just their entrances) while on the biome level, so you can get a better idea of what terrain those entrances are in.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    This is awesome, keep up the good work!
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    Very nice work. This will come in handy.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    In terms of requested features... the ideal thing might be to integrate it with a mod which allows one to put out the coordinates of all beacons in one's game.

That'd be a lot of extra work - but it would make it easy to show where locations are and map them.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    I am sure there is a way to do it since you can give in game feedback which sends that info to a website server. I'd imagine at least that would be a good way to start a mod involving all that, depending on security concerns however.
  • MaximanyMaximany Join Date: 2020-03-12 Member: 258681Members
  • CameroniswilfredCameroniswilfred Sydney Join Date: 2020-04-06 Member: 259681Members
    This is amazing, thank you.

I play on Xbox which made it a lot more difficult obviously because we can't get coordinates like PC'ers can. If you're still open to developing it, or are looking at doing something similar for Below Zero it would be so much easier to read if you could add more compass information.

Also, i have an idea which i think would be freaking AWESOME: Including a feature which would allow you to draw a straight, dotted line between any two points on the map which provides the cardinal direction of either one to the other.

For example, clicking on Lifepod 17 and dragging a line to the Aurora would display EAST on the Aurora end and WEST on the Lifepod 17 end.