Energy cells last too long

RboxRbox Belgium Join Date: 2018-03-17 Member: 239227Members
Well, that. The title says it all. I'm +100 hours game-time. I only had to change the energy cells for the Prawn once. Seamoth: once. With the automatic recharging when docked, there is little need to ever change them unless you're on a very lengthy walk-about (my first outing in the Lost River was the only time ).

Comments

• zontwitchzontwitch Canada Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238022Members
    No thanks. You have to remember that the Seamoth has solar power to help with power, while the Prawn has Thermal power to help. Last thing we need is for all of the vehicles to start draining power horribly like the Cyclops does. No thanks.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I'm not sure what you're getting at. If you recharge them... why wouldn't they just keep working? Are you saying that they should wear out after a while and stop working like batteries do in real life?

If so, why would you want that? o.O
  • RboxRbox Belgium Join Date: 2018-03-17 Member: 239227Members
    Because it's only when you go on a reallllllllly long walk/trip that you need to exchange a cell.
  • TheSwiftStrikeTheSwiftStrike Join Date: 2018-01-08 Member: 234894Members
    Just, don't complain, its better this way.
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the issue is.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    DarthOmnis wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the issue is.
    It's not about batteries wearing out with recharges, his issue is:
    "The power cells take too long to be depleted", meaning that if you take a vehicle and move around the map it will be unlikely that you will need a power cell replacement in the field. And since recharging in the moonpool is so much faster than on the wall charger you just dock for a while and go out exploring again, without worrying about vehicle power management or extra power cells.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    This again comes down to the interface in a way :trollface:

Charging up with Cyclopcs/Moonpool is handy dandy, having to step out of the sub, fiddle with your inventory and then fiddle with the battery replacement UI is cumbersome, clunky and definitely bullcrap \o/

• BTown780BTown780 Canada Join Date: 2018-04-10 Member: 239944Members
    I think that the power cells last just enough time. I used to carry an extra power cell in the storage of my sea moth, just in case. At the time, it was more of a role playing thing I felt made sense. Like @Rbox, I had never even come close to running out. Until it happened! I was out for an extended cruise checking some wrecks, when I found myself facing off with a reaper. I had just used the perimeter defense son some sand sharks that wouldn't leave me alone, and had been running some sonar before. All normal. All of a sudden, after a few full blasts against the reaper, I was SUPER low on power. I got away thankfully but I don't think I would have made it back without the extra cell I had. Even though this was the only time, it still felt amazing to have had that extra cell with me.

As the games goes on, I like that you solve more and more of these problems. The survival parts of the game get easier with more technology, so you can focus more and more on the exploration and building elements.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I personally don't understand. My Cyclops, with engine efficiency, can only last 40 minutes. I have to set up stations along the ways to deeper depths with power cell chargers just to get by. I'm honestly confused how it seems to last too long.
    BTown780 wrote: »
    I think that the power cells last just enough time. I used to carry an extra power cell in the storage of my sea moth, just in case. At the time, it was more of a role playing thing I felt made sense. Like @Rbox, I had never even come close to running out. Until it happened! I was out for an extended cruise checking some wrecks, when I found myself facing off with a reaper. I had just used the perimeter defense son some sand sharks that wouldn't leave me alone, and had been running some sonar before. All normal. All of a sudden, after a few full blasts against the reaper, I was SUPER low on power. I got away thankfully but I don't think I would have made it back without the extra cell I had. Even though this was the only time, it still felt amazing to have had that extra cell with me.

As the games goes on, I like that you solve more and more of these problems. The survival parts of the game get easier with more technology, so you can focus more and more on the exploration and building elements.

With the seamoth, it is simple enough to swim back with a new cell. As soon as you realize you're running low on power (assuming ~2-3% power left) just move the seamoth the closest possible to the surface, preferably in a safer biome. Then swim away to either your base or the lifepod. Map is small enough to allow safe return from most places and food/water aren't usually a problem.
    Now when a prawn runs out of power, it might be deep. Maybe too deep to go back swimming without extra air tanks. So power management should be relevant.
    I personally don't understand. My Cyclops, with engine efficiency, can only last 40 minutes. I have to set up stations along the ways to deeper depths with power cell chargers just to get by. I'm honestly confused how it seems to last too long.
    I don't bother with the Cyclops anymore, it is too cumbersome and the map is just too small to justify using it. Unless you want a mobile base to go exploring. I know the map by heart now, there's almost no point to build a Cyclops.

Kouji_San wrote: »
    This again comes down to the interface in a way :trollface:
    Charging up with Cyclopcs/Moonpool is handy dandy, having to step out of the sub, fiddle with your inventory and then fiddle with the battery replacement UI is cumbersome, clunky and definitely bullcrap \o/
    I know, but it makes the charger obsolete, as the moonpool is almost in the same tier. Charge times are ridiculously disparate between them both.
    If the moonpool charge time took the same as the charger, said mechanic would still hold as it would be quicker to just swap cells then sit waiting for it to charge.
    Imo the power mechanics need a major overhaul, but I'm optimistic towards the expansion. NS balancing was spot on, Subnautica was a new endeavor for the team and they learned a lot through it. My expectations are on an all time high.
    Sorry, my comment wasn't helpful.
    Try parking in thermal vents and it won't ever run out of power.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited April 2018
    BTown780 wrote: »

Batteries last pretty long when it comes to general driving about, but once you start using any of the vehicle's features, they go down fast.
    Batteries last pretty long when it comes to general driving about, but once you start using any of the vehicle's features, they go down fast.
    I don't experience this. I don't spam the features, but I'm not stingy about it either. Most of the time it still is driving about, with few exceptions.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    I don't experience this. I don't spam the features, but I'm not stingy about it either. Most of the time it still is driving about, with few exceptions.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT LET silent running RUN WHILE YOU'RE AWAY. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'VE TURNED OFF THE ENGINE AND LIGHTS EITHER...
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    But it's fun to drain all the power
    But it's fun to drain all the power

giphy.gif