ns2_altair (by brainfood)

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    I think its my game settings, it looks much better in the editor
    edited April 2018
    Map is now 30% complete so its time for me to start working on the rest of the greybox. The idea here is to try and get the rest of the map playable and also in a state that will provide some cover in greybox areas.

Here are 10 comparison screenshots between hl1 altair and this ns2 version.
    ZjM6L0T.jpg

STWIYz5.jpg

sm8woIw.jpg

RiV4TWw.jpg

BNfdTZa.jpg

edited April 2018
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The fidelity to the original is really impressive. That said, I found the original to be really depressing visually. See if you can find some way to add some life to it. :)
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Could you please add spoiler tags to your screenshots.

Looking good so far, seems like lighting, geometry make it look detailed but still easy on the eyes. I don't see any epic "woah" scenes tho or really unique landmarks, but hopefully you'll get there while working on the map.
    While the geometry might be similar to Altair, it feels like you are not quite there to visually capture the soul and essence of Altair. Moultano might be right that Altair was just a bit visually depressing, but nevertheless it had areas with purpose. To spice up the variety in its look, you could do the same, which was done in Veil (Topo, System, Neck), basicly adding another strong color and style, which goes well with the original. This would also help players to seperate areas from each other more easily.
    Spicing up the water, which is a nice idea in your pics, might also help with that. Maybe giving the water and its surroundings more blue color.
    Here is how I spice up my water in Origin:
    Using Decals on the floor of the water: ns2\cinematics\vfx_materials\decals\env_caustics
    Copy paste the water face, lower it slightly and apply the biodome_glass01 material to it, which gives it a nice reflection in combination with a reflection probe (make sure to make it noncollision geometry too, if the water is a bit deeper)
    edited April 2018
    moultano wrote: »
    The fidelity to the original is really impressive. That said, I found the original to be really depressing visually. See if you can find some way to add some life to it. :)

Yea ns_altair doesnt seem to be a favourite among old ns players but i feel as though the reason for it not being popular is due to the layout not really being ideal for ns1 where as it does seem to favour adaptation to ns2 when compared to ns1 favourites like bast and hera which dont translate to ns2 very well at all.

I also plan to make some custom props and textures for the map later. So some of the textures may get replaced.

-psykoman will do.

My biggest worry currently with the map is the size of the entrances into rooms. I fear they miht be a little to small and create a bottleneck. Hopefully early testing will reveal if this is an issue so it can be put right sooner rather than later.
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    Could you please add spoiler tags to your screenshots.

Looking good so far, seems like lighting, geometry make it look detailed but still easy on the eyes. I don't see any epic "woah" scenes tho or really unique landmarks, but hopefully you'll get there while working on the map.
    While the geometry might be similar to Altair, it feels like you are not quite there to visually capture the soul and essence of Altair. Moultano might be right that Altair was just a bit visually depressing, but nevertheless it had areas with purpose. To spice up the variety in its look, you could do the same, which was done in Veil (Topo, System, Neck), basicly adding another strong color and style, which goes well with the original. This would also help players to seperate areas from each other more easily.
    Spicing up the water, which is a nice idea in your pics, might also help with that. Maybe giving the water and its surroundings more blue color.
    Here is how I spice up my water in Origin:
    Using Decals on the floor of the water: ns2\cinematics\vfx_materials\decals\env_caustics
    Copy paste the water face, lower it slightly and apply the biodome_glass01 material to it, which gives it a nice reflection in combination with a reflection probe (make sure to make it noncollision geometry too, if the water is a bit deeper)

Thanks for the water tips, here it is in action
    l6gz65cch5xx.png

tznj26or35jw.png

• MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2018
    l6gz65cch5xx.png

tznj26or35jw.png

My brain is having trouble with idea of water on the floor in play spaces. It does look really nice though.

[EDIT] Is cloaking still effective while you're on the water?
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Cloaking right now becomes perfectly invisible above water, and then explosions and displacements cause a lot of glitches...
    shame game doesnt have movement sounds for water and or visual effects
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Nintendows wrote: »
    Cloaking right now becomes perfectly invisible above water, and then explosions and displacements cause a lot of glitches...

Can you make a few screenshots with different angles? how it looks right now?
    First version of the map is on the workshop. Feel free to test it out and any issues or suggestions feel free to post them here or contact me on steam.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Seen a few rounds on Wooza. Which is chaos obviously and hard to judge balance from those rounds, but here are my observations so far:
    -Cons Monitoring is way too closed off. It looks nice, not quite themefitting tho, but it's basicly a more little hiveroom in the back of an already little hiveroom. Opening this area up might help Marines a bit in there.
    -Your worries might be right about the tight doorframes. Hopefully all the vents relieve those chokepoints a bit, but especially the middle hive seems pretty easy too arc (was a problem in ns1 too tho)
    -That res node between Subbay and Life Support is probably too much (dunno the location rn). It gives Marines too many res nodes in that area, when they hold it with a phasegate. Subbay res node should be enough.
    -The Power node in Marine Start is a bit exposed due to the layout of Marine Start and position of CC and IPs. Marines have to walk a bit to shoot aliens coming down the stairs.
    Might not be a problem with an Obs in that corner until the game is really over for Marines anyway, which then means Aliens can finish this easier. So could be no problem at all.
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    Seen a few rounds on Wooza. Which is chaos obviously and hard to judge balance from those rounds, but here are my observations so far:
    -Cons Monitoring is way too closed off. It looks nice, not quite themefitting tho, but it's basicly a more little hiveroom in the back of an already little hiveroom. Opening this area up might help Marines a bit in there.
    -Your worries might be right about the tight doorframes. Hopefully all the vents relieve those chokepoints a bit, but especially the middle hive seems pretty easy too arc (was a problem in ns1 too tho)
    -That res node between Subbay and Life Support is probably too much (dunno the location rn). It gives Marines too many res nodes in that area, when they hold it with a phasegate. Subbay res node should be enough.
    -The Power node in Marine Start is a bit exposed due to the layout of Marine Start and position of CC and IPs. Marines have to walk a bit to shoot aliens coming down the stairs.
    Might not be a problem with an Obs in that corner until the game is really over for Marines anyway, which then means Aliens can finish this easier. So could be no problem at all.

1. I know i have to do something with cons monitoring for sure. I think first step will be to reduce the scale of those 2 tanks in the eantrance area hopefully providing a little more space. If that doesn't work then yea i will have to open the room up

2. I have started a process of widening a few of the key doorways hopefully that will be enough. As for the back room i have started detailing it out and decided early on to place the rt where the tech point is and move the tech further back so it wont be arc-able from the entrance.

3. was supposed to be just the 1 rt there i just couldnt decide between sub bay or aquarium so i put one in each for now. I think i will settle on the subbay one however i have plans to shorten the north route from marine start which might be better with an aquarium rt.

4. i will take this into consideration when it comes to redesigning marine start
    Images of the recently designed Omega Site. I moved the tech further back and placed the rt in the centre to avoid the3 hive being easily arced. Once the new update is ready i will post a changelog so people can check out the new changes and there are quite a few.
    ycbtzv4puikt.png

k2xgd70ubsl8.png

5if9w3xj8x1k.png
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I look forward to taking a walk around this with meph, we will of course record our walk around and discord conversation so that you can hear/watch our feedback as we go ;)
    edited April 2018
    Update 009

Thanks to Psykoman, kash, mephillies, las and the wooza server for feedback.

pckig5ryl9sp.png

Main Changes
    .Detailed Omega Site
    .Moved the positions of the powernode, res node and tech point in omega site into a different configuration that should be better protected from arcing.
    .Moved the res node and powernode in command so they are easier to defend for marines.
    redesigned the corridor from command to umbilical which reduces the distance from command to life support.
    flipped the northern part of command (containing the old res point) so the exit is on the west side of the room.
    Removed the annoying ping sound from stat mon.
    Fixed a couple of stuck spots found in kash and mephillies video.
    .pathing was redone
    .occlusion geometry was modified to fit the new changes.
    .locations were altered
    . re-scaled the size of the tanks in the entrance of con mon, should provide more room.

Cosmetic Changes
    . switched out the descent props in stat mon vent for refinery vent props
    . created a new dirtied texture for the energycore cap prop. (will get more work later)
    . switched out the clean pipes in both annex and elevator for more fitting props.
    . altered the steamy square pipes in settling tanks to look a little better.
    . Improved the lighting in many different areas.
    . added lighting props to some of the areas that were mysteriously lit, more will be added later.
    . fixed a few collision geo issues.
    . added abit more detail to some areas.
    . modified the lighting effect on closed door areas of the map to better emphasis that these areas are off limits.

edited April 2018
    A screenshot of the original descent energy cap on the right and my new textured energy cap on the left.
    mccmqi09ob1i.png

A new image of completed Omega Site
    5srpi7ijbxmt.png

• XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
    It's a really good job. I didn't remember ns_altair was an official map. In was ns version did it appear on the first time ?
    Xale wrote: »
    It's a really good job. I didn't remember ns_altair was an official map. In was ns version did it appear on the first time ?

I don't know, i think it was a later map because i to do not remember it from when i played ns1.
    Update 019

npetc5y9pa8w.png

qhjat1t8qjkb.png

dgdttdqdx69y.png

vt3dlte1ur1k.png

Main Changes

. Detailed Nanite Regulation
    . Partially detailed Analysis
    . Removed the large tanks from the entrance to Con' Mon'
    . Widened the doorway between the two areas of Con' Mon'
    . Added a new vent that should make defending Omega Site easier for aliens.
    . Widened the doorways in Generator and between Generator and Annex.

Cosmetic Changes

. Improved the lighting in Settling Tanks
    . Fixed the custom prop Energy Cap issue.
    . Added a few more decals.

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    You do realise that the videos are not public and unless you provide the link to them no one except you, kash and me knows which issues were pointed out in the video right?
    Mephilles wrote: »
    You do realise that the videos are not public and unless you provide the link to them no one except you, kash and me knows which issues were pointed out in the video right?

ah k, well thats fine :)
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Whats going on with the map @deathshroud ? nearly 2 months without update :(
    Map is still being worked on, should be a new version in next few weeks
    Map is still being worked on, should be a new version in next few weeks

Great news, I look forward to it!
    Update 033

. Added two new Location areas by dividing up some of the north west locations. Added Iota and Coil.
    . Finished detailing Sigma Testing which is now Sigma and Iota.
    . Detailed Command (marine start).
    . Detailed Life Support and Coil which was previously just Life Support.
    . Add 1 new vent from Iota to Coil
    . Moved the vent between Life Support and Docking Control.
    . Many small cosmetic and performance changes throughout the map