Batteries, Power Cells, and Cameras

ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
Some things you build just automatically give you free things without first having to build those things, and it seems a bit exploitive.
1- Scanner Room Cameras: Scanner Room Cameras can be collected and the player can simply de-construct and re-construct the Scanner Room to get 2 more.
2 - Vehicles: Vehicles automatically come with Power Cells without Power Cells being in the recipe
3 - Tools: Some tools automatically come with batteries without batteries being in the recipe

I know it can be a bit of grinding, but it would be more realistic for Scanner Rooms to not be built with cameras, but instead, the player would need to build cameras for the player to use them (side note, it would be nice to be unable to de-construct the Scanner Room if there are cameras attached and upgrades in the upgrade console). Otherwise, the player could spend some time getting an infinite supply of cameras, and it would be pointless for the Scanner Room to even have the option to build a camera using the fabricator.

For tools and vehicles, power sources would have to be made, unless they are part of the recipe, so either:
A - have the recipes include the power source (i.e. Cyclops would also require 6 Power Cells to build). This could be simplified to say "Power Source" so that the player can choose to use 6 Power Cells or 6 Ion Power Cells for their Cyclops, or
B - have all tools and vehicles start out un-powered, and the player would need to add the power source to use them.

Comments

• Hamster64Hamster64 Join Date: 2018-04-01 Member: 239706Members
    Subnautica is the best game ever
  • Hamster64Hamster64 Join Date: 2018-04-01 Member: 239706Members
    has anyone played Subnautica on the Nintendo switch ??
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    edited April 2018
    Some things you build just automatically give you free things without first having to build those things, and it seems a bit exploitive.
    1- Scanner Room Cameras: Scanner Room Cameras can be collected and the player can simply de-construct and re-construct the Scanner Room to get 2 more.
    2 - Vehicles: Vehicles automatically come with Power Cells without Power Cells being in the recipe
    3 - Tools: Some tools automatically come with batteries without batteries being in the recipe

I know it can be a bit of grinding, but it would be more realistic for Scanner Rooms to not be built with cameras, but instead, the player would need to build cameras for the player to use them (side note, it would be nice to be unable to de-construct the Scanner Room if there are cameras attached and upgrades in the upgrade console). Otherwise, the player could spend some time getting an infinite supply of cameras, and it would be pointless for the Scanner Room to even have the option to build a camera using the fabricator.

For tools and vehicles, power sources would have to be made, unless they are part of the recipe, so either:
    A - have the recipes include the power source (i.e. Cyclops would also require 6 Power Cells to build). This could be simplified to say "Power Source" so that the player can choose to use 6 Power Cells or 6 Ion Power Cells for their Cyclops, or
    B - have all tools and vehicles start out un-powered, and the player would need to add the power source to use them.

Lovely ideas. I used to abuse the hell out of the Repair Tool because it was so easy to make and gave a free battery. I would love to have option B for more immersion.
    Hamster64 wrote: »
    Subnautica is the best game ever
    Hamster64 wrote: »
    has anyone played Subnautica on the Nintendo switch ??

I agree, it's a good game, but what does this have to do with this post?
  • AntardisAntardis Australia Join Date: 2018-03-28 Member: 239554Members
    Special note, all tools except one (I think the repair tool) requires battery as a recipe though. But crafting repair tools might be a way to get your free batteries :)
  • VarikiVariki USA Join Date: 2018-04-08 Member: 239899Members
    I was really surprised when the 1.0 release didn't make some changes like this. I thought at a min the Cyclops would require you to make power cells. I think that would increase the early struggle and improve the late game. Just think about running on 1 cell and then working up to finally have 6. I think that the build and progression is really well timed but more 'late game' stuff like switching to ion batts and things doesn't offer much because your just not starving for power. I actually never once made a nuke because thermal covered me the whole way.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Who cares?

Seriously, it's single player, not an MMO. An infinite supply of cameras is pretty useless.

I've never made it an entire game with legit materials. I don't mind collecting stuff, that's not the issue. I just can't handle trying to remember which locker had which stuff in it, and spending my time moving stuff between chests. I burned out doing that in Minecraft a long time ago.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Theres a mod that can autosort items into lockers
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    It is odd only the Seamoth needs Power Cells to make, and it is funny how one can get "Free Batteries" from some things when again one could just use an existing battery for such things then pop back out...

Also odd how the Cyclops & Prawn cannot use a Solar Power option, though the Seamoth can?
    :3