Please somebody help me uninstall and reinstall subnautica!

AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
Okay i think i messed up the game so badly that i need to reset it, i tried to delete the local content of the game and then redownloaded it again, but matter is that all the changes i made were still in place even after this!

please how can i completely reset the game?

Comments

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Did you do shift delete?
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    what do you mean with shift delete?
  • ED0ggYED0ggY Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17103Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2015
    Hi @AlphaBlueArx

What @Lussebull means is to go to the director, where the game files are installed and deleting them,

I would try the following,

Right click on Subnautica in steam, select properties, local files tab, Delete local game content,
    once it has been deleted, then go to your steam director where your games are installed. follow the file path below to locate.
    ??:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Subnautica
    (replace the '??' for your drive letter)

If you can still see the Subnautica folder, select the folder then hold Shift+Delete which will permanently delete the folder.

You could also check the remove programs and features in the control panel,

go to the control panel, Programs and features
    search through the programs untill you find Subnautica (if you cant find it it has been removed which is good)

I tried to do that, i managed to delete my saves, but still it doesn't allow me to change the inputs or the graphics anymore, it's like after the reinstallation i click on the icon, but the game starts imediately it doesn't show me anymore the options to modify the inputs or the graphics...help...
  • LEgGOdtLEgGOdt Join Date: 2018-03-25 Member: 239486Members
    ED0ggY wrote: »
    Hi @AlphaBlueArx

What @Lussebull means is to go to the director, where the game files are installed and deleting them,

I would try the following,

Right click on Subnautica in steam, select properties, local files tab, Delete local game content,
    once it has been deleted, then go to your steam director where your games are installed. follow the file path below to locate.
    ??:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Subnautica
    (replace the '??' for your drive letter)

If you can still see the Subnautica folder, select the folder then hold Shift+Delete which will permanently delete the folder.

You could also check the remove programs and features in the control panel,

go to the control panel, Programs and features
    search through the programs untill you find Subnautica (if you cant find it it has been removed which is good)

I'm not sure if what you're say will work with the problem that I'm having with Subnautica, but last night(3/25/2018) around 9:50PM(EST) Subnautica suddenly shrunk to this small bar that only showed the minimize and close window options. Now I can still hear the music. It just that I can't hold the mouse arrow over one of the sides or corner of the window and resize it like you can with the other windows that you might have open when doing other things on your PC/Laptop.

So I'm just wounding that if I uninstall then reinstall the game will all of my progress that I made up until the last saved point still be fine or will I have to start all over again?
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited March 2018
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    LEgGOdt wrote: »
    I'm not sure if what you're say will work with the problem that I'm having with Subnautica, but last night(3/25/2018) around 9:50PM(EST) Subnautica suddenly shrunk to this small bar that only showed the minimize and close window options. Now I can still hear the music. It just that I can't hold the mouse arrow over one of the sides or corner of the window and resize it like you can with the other windows that you might have open when doing other things on your PC/Laptop.

So I'm just wounding that if I uninstall then reinstall the game will all of my progress that I made up until the last saved point still be fine or will I have to start all over again?

Welcome to the forum, @LEgGOdt.

What Jamin is so delicately trying to say is "don't necropost." Once a post is off Page 1 and/or more than about 30 days old, it's effectively dead and only still here for archival purposes, so posting in it ends up often creating all kinds of chaos and headaches. It's a community rules and courtesy thing observed on nearly all forums. Go ahead and start a new thread rather than resurrecting an old one.

As for the problem you're encountering, it sounds as though either you minimized the window or your display driver had a problem. Resizing fixed-dimension windows often isn't allowed (it would cause render problems and potentially crash the game or your system). Whenever a game is misbehaving like that - where you can see the desktop even though the taskbar icon for the game shows that it's the active window - try switching to fullscreen mode with Alt+Enter and see if that brings your window back. If not, close the game through Task Manager. I'd personally recommend a reboot at that point, just to clear garbage data out of memory, then try starting the game again.

If you're still stuck at that point, then an Uninstall/Reinstall is probably the best, most likely to succeed option. If you do that, you absolutely must back up your savegame(s); there's no guarantee that they'll still be around after an operation like that. (Most games don't delete their savegame folders, but some do - and never having uninstalled Subnautica myself, I can't say with certainty that the saves are safe during a wipe and reinstall.)
  • LEgGOdtLEgGOdt Join Date: 2018-03-25 Member: 239486Members

Welcome to the forum, @LEgGOdt.

What Jamin is so delicately trying to say is "don't necropost." Once a post is off Page 1 and/or more than about 30 days old, it's effectively dead and only still here for archival purposes, so posting in it ends up often creating all kinds of chaos and headaches. It's a community rules and courtesy thing observed on nearly all forums. Go ahead and start a new thread rather than resurrecting an old one.

As for the problem you're encountering, it sounds as though either you minimized the window or your display driver had a problem. Resizing fixed-dimension windows often isn't allowed (it would cause render problems and potentially crash the game or your system). Whenever a game is misbehaving like that - where you can see the desktop even though the taskbar icon for the game shows that it's the active window - try switching to fullscreen mode with Alt+Enter and see if that brings your window back. If not, close the game through Task Manager. I'd personally recommend a reboot at that point, just to clear garbage data out of memory, then try starting the game again.

If you're still stuck at that point, then an Uninstall/Reinstall is probably the best, most likely to succeed option. If you do that, you absolutely must back up your savegame(s); there's no guarantee that they'll still be around after an operation like that. (Most games don't delete their savegame folders, but some do - and never having uninstalled Subnautica myself, I can't say with certainty that the saves are safe during a wipe and reinstall.)

Thank you but I've already un/restalled the game. Rebooting ISN'T an option for me for I have family pictures that I don't want to lose. And all that the Alt+Enter does is makes this large screen with a blue line in the middle and I can't do anything with that. As you can see below that is what I get after pressing Alt+ENTER dpjmyy1ktse9.png
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Rebooting doesn't cause a loss of data. It's shutting the machine down and turning it back on; you're describing formatting the drive and rebuilding the system from zero. Doing that to fix a graphical glitch would be like burning down a building and putting it back up because a window was dirty. ;) That said, any data that's important to you should always be backed up on other media. Any number of unexpected problems could kill your storage drive at any time, and if you haven't backed up your files, they could well be gone for good.

So, back to the problem. Since a reinstall didn't help, this is looking more and more like a driver issue. The best thing to do (and this is generally good advice for any graphics problem a reboot couldn't cure) is check your drivers for updates - odds are, they're out of date and there's a conflict. There's also an outside chance that your display is conflicting with default graphics settings for the game, but that's unlikely in the extreme.
  • Number35Number35 Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224491Members
    ... boi. right click on the game. Click uninstall...... then right click on the game again... and click install..... Ya dun know....
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    I think it's okay to necro a thread, no matter how old it is, if you feel it's relevant to your issue.

Anyway, this sounds like a pretty straightforward possession case to me. Light 5 candles in a pentagram pattern around your tower (standard stuff) and then cut the throat of a little kitten over your keyboard. Let the blood dry overnight and you should be okay.
  • Number35Number35 Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224491Members
    @EnglishInfidel Is that to me or the people that commented recently before me? I just found this on the page where you can see the recently commented/posted forums part.