Hybrid Submersible

TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
Seamoth / Prawn Suit vehicle hybrid, anyone?

I'd like to think such a vehicle would take inspiration from real world submersibles:
xw8h1mli98dx.jpg
6aqxt4p8ovs8.jpg

This particular vehicle would be something with a bit more mobility than the Prawn, yet keep the whole arms thing. It could be an unlock after the first play-through of the game (to give veterans extra reason to return for a bit of fun), or maybe a vehicle we'll see in the DLC.

Comments

• Muninn_CrowMuninn_Crow Join Date: 2018-02-27 Member: 238401Members
    I have an important question then. Why would anyone use the PRAWN suit if we have this? It makes the PRAWN near worthless, and possibly even the Seamoth on many factors. The inclusion of this vehicle would remove any need for the player to expose themselves to danger by exiting the vehicle. On a similar note, if this were combined with the Scanner room's technology, it could all be remote controlled, allowing even safer operations with the player sitting in the base. If attacked, the player has only lost a drone and any supplies aboard, and remains safe in the shallows. It removes the fear element of the game by keeping the player out of the water. (Even if operating the vehicle manually)
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    edited March 2018
    I have an important question then. Why would anyone use the PRAWN suit if we have this? It makes the PRAWN near worthless, and possibly even the Seamoth on many factors. The inclusion of this vehicle would remove any need for the player to expose themselves to danger by exiting the vehicle. On a similar note, if this were combined with the Scanner room's technology, it could all be remote controlled, allowing even safer operations with the player sitting in the base. If attacked, the player has only lost a drone and any supplies aboard, and remains safe in the shallows. It removes the fear element of the game by keeping the player out of the water. (Even if operating the vehicle manually)

A way to balance it:

- Force the submersible to be slower than a seamoth.
    - Make a highly expensive formula.
    - Do not allow scanner room usage.
    - Make reach small, so it's only good for collecting resources.
    - Give it about as much or less health than a seamoth.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members

Maybe we just want the Europa Report experience of dropping drones beneath the ice after drilling some holes in it and then see what bites the end. We don't need to endanger ourselves if what we want is an astrobiology simulator, (which I really wish Subnautica was more like).
  • Muninn_CrowMuninn_Crow Join Date: 2018-02-27 Member: 238401Members

Maybe we just want the Europa Report experience of dropping drones beneath the ice after drilling some holes in it and then see what bites the end. We don't need to endanger ourselves if what we want is an astrobiology simulator, (which I really wish Subnautica was more like).

Admittedly, I agree with you on the desire to send drones into the surrounding waters. It is the logical approach, and there is even a data log of one of the Aurora's engineers developing a drone to fetch tools and materials. With something like that mentioned, one would expect it to show up in some capacity ingame. So, I do agree with the original poster about the logic of such a machine (even if piloted), but also understand the need to stick close to what the developers intended in the game's design.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members

A way to balance it:

Yeah, the general idea would be that it is slower. Also, I'd imagine it would be a little larger, and perhaps not capable of docking with the Cyclops - being a tight fit inside Moonpools. Becasue it is also larger, it cannot fit into the smaller spaces as the Seamoth and Prawn. My idea for this came from the frustration of having to use the Cyclops with the Prawn for node mining in relatively open waters at medium distances from bases.

Ultimately, this is the balance I had in mind:
    - Vehicle speed between Seamoth and Prawn
    - Expensive build; perhaps requiring 4+ nickel to lock it to later game stages
    - Larger size makes it incompatible with Cyclops docks; it cannot enter the same crevices as other vehicles
    - Unlocked after initial play-through of the game
    - Incapable of drilling, but otherwise has all other arm functionality shared with Prawn (excluding grapple for obvious reasons).

However, the vehicle is not all downsides.
    - Has twice the inventory space as Prawn
    - Is powered by four power cells
    - Unlike Cyclops, it is just small enough to dock with Moonpools
    - Shield Generator, Sonar and Decoy Launcher capable - keeping in mind the reduced power availability on board compared to the Cyclops
    - Possibly able to act as a short range, mobile scanner room with drones - but for balance sake - Upgrade Modules such as Sonar may be removed

As you can see, this vehicle quickly occupies its own niche, and has varied applications while not supplanting the key functions of other vehicles
  • awesomegamer9786awesomegamer9786 Join Date: 2018-07-25 Member: 242467Members
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members

A way to balance it:

Yeah, the general idea would be that it is slower. Also, I'd imagine it would be a little larger, and perhaps not capable of docking with the Cyclops - being a tight fit inside Moonpools. Becasue it is also larger, it cannot fit into the smaller spaces as the Seamoth and Prawn. My idea for this came from the frustration of having to use the Cyclops with the Prawn for node mining in relatively open waters at medium distances from bases.

Ultimately, this is the balance I had in mind:
    - Vehicle speed between Seamoth and Prawn
    - Expensive build; perhaps requiring 4+ nickel to lock it to later game stages
    - Larger size makes it incompatible with Cyclops docks; it cannot enter the same crevices as other vehicles
    - Unlocked after initial play-through of the game
    - Incapable of drilling, but otherwise has all other arm functionality shared with Prawn (excluding grapple for obvious reasons).

However, the vehicle is not all downsides.
    - Has twice the inventory space as Prawn
    - Is powered by four power cells
    - Unlike Cyclops, it is just small enough to dock with Moonpools
    - Shield Generator, Sonar and Decoy Launcher capable - keeping in mind the reduced power availability on board compared to the Cyclops
    - Possibly able to act as a short range, mobile scanner room with drones - but for balance sake - Upgrade Modules such as Sonar may be removed

As you can see, this vehicle quickly occupies its own niche, and has varied applications while not supplanting the key functions of other vehicles

I like your balancing act, i also agree with @Muninn_Crow, This submersible would remove most of the need for a PRAWN and seamoth, though to avoid this (at least for a while) you actually need to have both the PRAWN and the seamoth in order to create it, after all, @TotallyLemon did say this was a hybrid, right?