Update 84 Released on Steam - Subnautica

124»

Comments

• Xxst33l_t1tanxXXxst33l_t1tanxX layton ut Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238470Members
    was playing on xbox and found at the quordinates 368.9 -15.5 -91.4 strange sounds that sound like dolphins and babys crying
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Well look on the bright side

Since Dolphins are extinct by the time Subnautica takes place, you know it isn't a dolphin.

Wait that isn't the bright side
  • MudonisMudonis Draconia Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220241Members

To quote myself from a really old thread:
    After a tragic incident where a group of people used a survival fabricator to create weapons, then kill of a large portion of Obraxis Prime, we regret to inform you all weapons (Excluding the Survival Knife) have been removed off of Survival Fabricators. We at Alterra care about your safety, but any recipes that include weapon formatting excluding both Governmental and Resourceful weapons, such as those of Governmental Armies and Seamoth/Prawn suits, are outlawed. These blueprints also do not exist and cannot be obtained on Non-Government PDAs.

Alterra sends its regards and wishes you a good flight on the Aurora!

To which I say, "BLEGH!!!!" It doesn't mean that weapons can't made using the Modification Station.

A spear and by extension a speargun would be a godsend against stalkers and bonesharks.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members

That is exactly what I was thinking.
    Mudonis wrote: »

To quote myself from a really old thread:
    After a tragic incident where a group of people used a survival fabricator to create weapons, then kill of a large portion of Obraxis Prime, we regret to inform you all weapons (Excluding the Survival Knife) have been removed off of Survival Fabricators. We at Alterra care about your safety, but any recipes that include weapon formatting excluding both Governmental and Resourceful weapons, such as those of Governmental Armies and Seamoth/Prawn suits, are outlawed. These blueprints also do not exist and cannot be obtained on Non-Government PDAs.

Alterra sends its regards and wishes you a good flight on the Aurora!

To which I say, "BLEGH!!!!" It doesn't mean that weapons can't made using the Modification Station.

A spear and by extension a speargun would be a godsend against stalkers and bonesharks.

Actually, it does mean it wouldn't be allowed. If you construct a builder with a survival fabricator, it keeps the basic settings for anything it creates. This is proven by the fact that a Fabricator, when crafted, has the base settings of requiring materials and only having survival fabrication blueprints. The modification station bares no exception.

The modification station is constructed with the Survival Tools provided by the Survival Fabricator. One could say it is a Survival Modification Station. This means it would also prohibit making weapons, using this logic.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    The reasoning is probably that with the other advanced tools, you should be just fine (Stasis Rifle, hardened vehicles, etc etc).
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    People suggesting lethal weapons is why the devs will make dolphins go extinct in the future just like in Subnautica
  • vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    Who needs a gun when he has a repulsion cannon ?
    And if it's too big for a repulsion cannon and out of stasis, you have no business being within propulsion cannon range.

Being on the lookout, lights off, sonar on, slow speed and being ready to turn engines off at a moment's notice to go perfectly silent got me a whole game with zero leviathan attacks (although I suspect the 3rd sea dragon glitched through cavern wall... that one is hard to avoid).
    Silent mode when in a pickle, and decoys + flank for panics, but I had no need for these to finish in hardcore. The biggest thing to punch my cyclops were crabsquids.

Side note: I discovered it's possible to shake lava larvae from inside a cyclops, by shooting the repulsion cannon through the hull at corresponding location. Not having scanned any larva makes it easier: the "you should scan this" cursor shows up. Not sure if a bug or a feature...
    vpelletier wrote: »
    Who needs a gun when he has a repulsion cannon ?
    And if it's too big for a repulsion cannon and out of stasis, you have no business being within propulsion cannon range.

Being on the lookout, lights off, sonar on, slow speed and being ready to turn engines off at a moment's notice to go perfectly silent got me a whole game with zero leviathan attacks (although I suspect the 3rd sea dragon glitched through cavern wall... that one is hard to avoid).
    Silent mode when in a pickle, and decoys + flank for panics, but I had no need for these to finish in hardcore. The biggest thing to punch my cyclops were crabsquids.

Side note: I discovered it's possible to shake lava larvae from inside a cyclops, by shooting the repulsion cannon through the hull at corresponding location. Not having scanned any larva makes it easier: the "you should scan this" cursor shows up. Not sure if a bug or a feature...

Quick burst of shields will knock them all off too.
  • vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    edited March 2018
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Quick burst of shields will knock them all off too.

Oh, I didn't know. Come to think of it, I believe I never used the shields. My standard upgrade set is: efficiency (because it's free), sonar, repair bay, fire suppression, thermal reactor, and of course the hull reinforcement module.

I had to willingly overheat a spare cyclops to actually get to try the fire suppression system. That moment I realised I had no water left in inventory, had none in the accessible rooms and could not leave the sub and had no idea how long the lockdown would last... The aurora taught me I'm bad at putting fires out when above surface, on a steady floor, calm and composed. I'm not in a hurry to discover what happens in a burning cyclops doing loopings at 1500m with too many teeth waiting outside for the tin can to break :s .
  • StormShockerStormShocker Join Date: 2017-08-27 Member: 232676Members
  • orthorixorthorix Join Date: 2018-03-15 Member: 239109Members
    edited March 2018
    (MacBook Pro mid 2015 retina 2880x1800/ macOS 10.13)
    - 1440/900 still laggy but playable and enjoyable (will try it under Win10/Parallels on the same machine)
    - catching fish is hard, when the catch-it message appears AND the mouse is activated in right time still no fish. Same problem on a gaming PC, as told by my son. Maybe you could change the tolerance time intervals or refine the mouse action detection?
    - tried to play with a XBOX controller. Handling is messy! Switching controller handling off and using Steam controller overlay, remapping the keystrokes, works. But this is an additional input handler and probably slows down the game even more.
    - catching fish inside my base is easy, but surely not intended. After swimming through the air hey're stuck in a corner for me to pick up. Already have a locker-full swarm of peepers :-D

So much for complaining, but…

I've bought this game a week before. After 2 trial games with the harassing bladderfish-catching - see above - I decided to play in free game mode, which makes this addictive game a rather relaxing experience. Found myself (…must build this, catch that, oh! need more silver…) multiple times overtired at 2:00 am in the ocean while RL alarm is 5:45.

Addictive. Beautiful. Peaceful at most (haven't been in the deeper biomes yet). GREAT GAME!
    @orthorix use a Propulsion Cannon or Grav Trap to catch fish if you have a hard time using your hands.
    During my achivement run of Subnautica I did the whole game without a propulsion cannon

It was a lot of suffering when I would go explore the lost river only to notice I forgot my gravtrap
  • Xxst33l_t1tanxXXxst33l_t1tanxX layton ut Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238470Members
    Lol my brother says there is multiplayer nope they scraped that a long time ago
    What about the vehicle upgrades glitch when you are in the moonpool
  • WwannabeeWwannabee Canada Join Date: 2018-03-08 Member: 238734Members
    Seems you changed the Pathfinder in this build to not work on land. Why? Also, tweaking features should be minor by now--you should concentrate on stability. There are obviously some memory leaks--I can't leave the game running overnight when my PC is asleep or my OS crashes completely (Win10).
  • Mila_KunisMila_Kunis United States Join Date: 2018-04-08 Member: 239895Members
    Why would you leave the game running while you sleep? To wake up to your character dead from starvation?

Why would you need the pathfinder tool on land? There are only 3 total places that are no underwater. I feel that is a very very picky thing to want.

Actually, the game a couple of years ago, did have memory leaks you wouldn't believe. Having to delete cache files every hour. Restarting the game repeatedly. It is the vast majority of the persistent world spawns with architecture, creatures, landscaping.

Take into account that it is monumental to develop a video game. I would know, I used to work for VALVe software. The development team for Subnautica is ............4 people, unlike big company development teams which use hundreds of people. Give the guys a break. =P

In the end, it is a great game.
  • xmrmeowxmrmeow Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214935Members
    Great job devs, keep up the good work. I've recently been replaying subnautica for the 5th time so your work has not gone un-noticed xD. I don't replay games often, but this game always leaves me wanting more when I complete it.

If you guys put up DLC on steam, I'd buy it in a heartbeat without even watching gameplay videos because I know you've got some genius designers working for you that know how to make a game look amazing beyond compare and fun enough to "dive" into multiple times.
  • JosephMoeJosephMoe 3325 Suffolk deer path road Join Date: 2018-04-09 Member: 239913Members
    The last thing I want in subjective would be....DLC
    edited April 2018
    Too bad they aren't working on a DLC that adds the Arctic and weather. That would be stupid.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Too bad they aren't working on a DLC that adds the Arctic and weather. That would be stupid.

I think a DLC and an Expansion are different. DLC is more of a downloaded addon to a game. An expansion is a new section of the game unlocked.
    dont ruin the joke ;-;
    dont ruin the joke ;-;

sorry ;-;
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    dont ruin the joke ;-;

The deed is done...

@AnomalyDetected, you're fired ;-;
  • AeragonAeragon Antarctica Join Date: 2018-03-08 Member: 238722Members
    Vulkan API will get rid of all the lag this game contains most gaming systems of today have 4 to 8 cores and 8 to 16 threads or even more, with Vulkan API each and every core and thread will be used to their full potential in the most efficient way possible.

Vulkan API has limitless SMP Support meaning even if your system has 64 cores and 128 Threads take a Dual 32 Core AMD EPYC 7601 as an example and with a Vega 64 and a GTX 1080 as GPU's every single CPU core & thread will be evenly used and each GCN & CUDA Core will work together as one GPU thanks to Vulkan API's native Asymmetric Multi GPU rendering, it doesn't require a NVIDIA SLI or AMD CFX motherboard, GPU's are GPU and thus it's Multi GPU is also neutral thereby being able to mix GCN & CUUDA Cores together and the rendering method used is done with the Tile Based Rendering method.

The main GPU does the even tiles and the slave GPU the odd tiles forming one seamless picture.
    What Vulkan has is what DX12 greatly lacks and everything Microsfot & OpenGL based.

Linux, Apple OS< UNIX Microsoft as well as BeOS users can take full advantage of the Vulkan API
    One solutions for all Operating systems, which makes it much less work for devs to make updates for varied Operating Systems as well.

Windows 7 Pro x64 and up is supported as well handy for those that don't want anything to do with Win 8.0 and later.
    With Vulkan API everyone can be happy.