Any way to recover glitched save game?

Dr_DrowsyDr_Drowsy USA Join Date: 2016-11-30 Member: 224380Members
I was quite progressed in my Subnautica save, had my Cyclops, PRAWN Suit, most of the blueprints, etc.

I was out in the Dunes exploring a wreck, and as usual I saved inside my Cyclops just before adventuring out, and the moment after I hit the save button, my power went out.
I was only worried about losing the time I spent driving out to the wreck, so when my power came back on I went to load up my save, and I saw the first concerning problem: The jpeg that usually displays
on my saves just had a big X on it. The game still loads and I find my character swimming around in the shallows, I breath a sigh of relief for a moment, until I look around and realize none of my things are there.
My base is gone, all my equipment and inventory, Cyclops, Seamoth, PRAWN Suit, nothing. Only an empty lifepod.

I figure that my power going out interrupted the saving process in some way. What I want to know, is if there is any way at all to recover my lost progress.
Of course saves overwrite previous ones, so it's not like I can take a small hit and load up a slightly older one.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    You could try Piriform Recuva and see if you can undelete the previous save files (depends on how it saves, does it modify the contents of the file, or delete and replace?).

That's a stretch though. In the future, install 7-zip and right-click your saved folder > 7-zip > add to 'slot000x.7z' whenever you want to back up your save progress. Then if this happens or a bad experimental update slags your save, you can just restore from the .7z file in your SavedGames directory.
  • Archer74Archer74 Join Date: 2016-12-07 Member: 224659Members
    edited December 2016
    That happened to me once. It might not work but it did for me. Go to your saved file folder(make a copy of it somewhere esle) and copy the two bin files, json, and screen shot file and place it somewhere like your desktop. start a new game, save the game, and exit. then get the four files you saved from the broken save filefolder and paste it in the new saved game folder. Start the game and load the new saved game. Hope that works for you. But this time always make a backup copy of your save folder.
    Archer74 wrote: »
    That happened to me once. It might not work but it did for me. Go to your saved file folder(make a copy of it somewhere esle) and copy the two bin files, json, and screen shot file and place it somewhere like your desktop. start a new game, save the game, and exit. then get the four files you saved from the broken save filefolder and paste it in the new saved game folder. Start the game and load the new saved game. Hope that works for you. But this time always make a backup copy of your save folder.

If that worked for you, all you really needed to do would be to clear your cache (because that's all there is besides those 4 files).
  • Archer74Archer74 Join Date: 2016-12-07 Member: 224659Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Archer74 wrote: »

If that worked for you, all you really needed to do would be to clear your cache (because that's all there is besides those 4 files).

That was the 1st thing I tried and it didn't work. What made me think there was something else wrong is the screenshot for the save thumbnail. It wouldn't be a white picture with a red X if the game can "see" it. That lead me to think that the game could not find the saved file folder thus the reasoning for a new save folder that the game can find but with old files from the previous save.
    Ayyy, um.. I didn't think of this at first, but chkdsk might be able to save you.

chkdsk c: /f

(or d: or e:, wherever Subnautica is)
  • Orange_CreamsiclesOrange_Creamsicles no Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236954Members
    Hi. That situation happened to me. Twice. I tried piriform, I tried copy-pasting the meaty files into a new save, I tried clearing the cache, I even tried chkdsk.
    Booting up subnautica and trying the save each time, and each time being the same. Nothing changed. No stuff, empty lifepod. Help.
  • pariskoparisko Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236722Members
    look what is going on
    https://snag.gy/R0IUOS.jpg
    i am standing on my pod and I can see whole aurora, why so many bugs? Is this solvable?
  • Orange_CreamsiclesOrange_Creamsicles no Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236954Members
    This is still an issue.
    Please help.
    @Orange_Creamsicles You can try clearing your cache (you can rename the CellsCache folder instead of deleting it just to be on the safe side).
    I JUST realized I uploaded my creative save, and deleted the survival save.
    I'm starting over. Thanks anyways.
  • RegenjasRegenjas Nederland Join Date: 2018-03-04 Member: 238579Members
    I have a similiar problem, yesterday evening I was able to play normally and I finally got the prawn suit ingame. Shortly after I saved the game as normal and closed it down.

This morning I wanted to continue playing. I tried starting up the game but it said it wasn't installed yet. So I checked in my gamefolder first and it was clearly there. Being scared as hell to lose my hard work gamefile i copied the save game and put it on my desktop. Not knowing what would be best, I let steam continue and download it(again). It checked for excisting game files and it looked like it found them all, because after that it didn't download anything.

I then was able to start up the game. I went to my save games and there was my savegame. With the good amount of time played, save thumbnail and what vehicles I have. But when I loaded the game I started in the water somewhere between the aurora and my lifepod with nothing. Like I just started playing. When I finally got back to the lifepod. everything was gone. My radio, fabricator and medpack generator were all gone, the medpack generator was even transparent and i was able to look outside like a small window.

Can someone please tell me what's wrong and that I didn't play 17 hours of gameplay for nothing and I can just change something and play again with my normal gamefile? please.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @Regenjas does the save you copied to your desktop have the same problem?
  • RegenjasRegenjas Nederland Join Date: 2018-03-04 Member: 238579Members
    edited March 2018
    narfblat wrote: »
    @Regenjas does the save you copied to your desktop have the same problem?

yes it does. also the only thing that i was able to find that was different when i loaded another game is that de lifepod spawns at a different location although i think that that is intended.

Edit: I also tried some other things like starting a fresh game and copy paste all the files from my desktop to the new save(read that that might help). Sadly it didn't. I was also talking to a friend about this and he says it's normal to start over every new patch but I just can't imagine that it works like that.

I also tried to fully de-install en re-install the game. Even on different hard-drives, that didn't help either. It all has the same result.