The Teleporter

Catsfan45Catsfan45 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235894Members
This is my idea of a Teleporter in Subnautica. Sadly i can't post my ideas on the Ideas sections because the "Choose File" button does not show up for when trying to get images. so instead i am posting my idea here :) hope you enjoy!

pdvw2e74ykf2.png

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Personally, I prefer something similar to the Precursor Portals. If we get some form of teleportation in Subnautica, then it would be based on Precursor technology not Alterra technology since there is no evidence of any personal phasegates.
  • Catsfan45Catsfan45 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235894Members
    @starkaos Maybe scanning the Precursor technology can unlock a blueprint to make our own teleportation device
    Either scanning the portal or using a console like how we got the Ion Batteries and Ion Power Cells would work. Using it as its own personal room like the Moonpool or Scanner Room or as a huge room piece like the Large Aquarium, Bioreactor, or Nuclear Reactor is how I see it implemented.

However, it is the design that is the issue. We have seen Portals in the game, but not Teleportation. So activating a console and entering the Portal Room of Base A and exiting the Portal Room of Base B is how I see it working. So it would work similar to the Stargate instead of Star Trek's Transporters. Your design looks like it would disassemble the main character into a bunch of particles and beam him to another location.

If we find another alien race that uses Teleporters, then your design could easily work. As of this moment, I am not even sure if Teleportation is even possible in the Subnautica/Natural Selection Universe.
  • Catsfan45Catsfan45 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235894Members
    @starkaos either way it is just an idea :wink:
    An idea that has lots of support and fits the canon of Subnautica if done correctly. If we want fast travel between our bases, then we are extremely limited to where we can build.

Base Teleporters are listed on Trello under Expansion Pack along with Transfuser, Plants generate Oxygen, female player model, and other potential ideas that the devs want in the game. Whether we get it or not remains to be seen. If the supposed Arctic DLC introduces a different alien race or a prototype Precursor teleporter technology available only in the Arctic, then we might see something similar to your design.
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    I would love to see base built warp gates. That's right up there with a Cyclops base dock!
    ssutcliffe wrote: »
    I would love to see base built warp gates. That's right up there with a Cyclops base dock!

This is why I like to build my base in front of the gun. I always have one base with a Cyclops base dock.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    nfpfe2ywa48n.png
    kinda looks like a re-skinned Botanical Analysis Machine
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    @Catsfan45 I thought that something like a radio type thing, (or maybe a teleporter pod,) could be placed inside a base, and could be linked to a player-made portal around the world but this pod would only act as a teleport reception. The portal itself would be an exterior fixture, (perhaps it floats in the middle of the water,) which could have different sizes depending on what you need to send through it. Larger teleporter sizes, (ones for transporting vehicles,) would have to link to another actual portal of the same size. However, I think that even player-size portals would have to be placed outside due to their size being about 2/3rds of the precursor teleportation systems doors.
    starkaos wrote: »
    ssutcliffe wrote: »

This is why I like to build my base in front of the gun. I always have one base with a Cyclops base dock.

With your mentioning the Cyclops base dock... what if docks themselves could teleport the vehicles within them to other docks! What if we have a portal placed in the wall of our dock, and the the little set of arms which would hold the Seamoth, let's say, could slide along a track which leads through the portal, and then come out the other end into an identical dock kilometers away, hand the seamoth off to that track, and then slide back through the portal? Or, for the cyclops, why don't we just have a sort of energy-field type thing slide down from the ceiling to envelope the cyclops and basically 'beam it' to another hangar? Or, what might look even MORE satisfying is Teleportation Drones which look essentially like ion-cube-ified little 3D-Printing drones; which spray the Cyclops with 3D printing lasers and slowly deconstruct it at the same time as it's being re-constructed by teleportation drones in your other hangar!!! I like this idea!
    But if you deconstruct and reconstruct a Cyclops with teleportation drones, is it the same Cyclops or have you destroyed the original Cyclops and created an identical Cyclops.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    But if you deconstruct and reconstruct a Cyclops with teleportation drones, is it the same Cyclops or have you destroyed the original Cyclops and created an identical Cyclops.

That's the point.

That's the point.

I was making a joke about the argument about Teleportation in Star Trek where it kills the main cast of Star Trek and replaces it with duplicates. So Kirk, Picard, Spock, and all the other characters in Star Trek are killed the first time they are teleported. With the result of countless duplicates being created and destroyed. At least with portals, you don't have to worry about this problem.

That's the point.

I was making a joke about the argument about Teleportation in Star Trek where it kills the main cast of Star Trek and replaces it with duplicates. So Kirk, Picard, Spock, and all the other characters in Star Trek are killed the first time they are teleported. With the result of countless duplicates being created and destroyed. At least with portals, you don't have to worry about this problem.

'Problem'. If it gets you from place to place quick enough.

That's the point.

But the problem is that it is not you. Teleporting a Cyclops is not a concern for most people since we don't believe that objects can have a soul. However, any living organism in the Cyclops would be killed and duplicated. So any pets in the Cyclops will no longer be your pets. It all depends on if you believe that the body is the vehicle of the soul or the mind, body, and soul make up the individual. In one situation, destroying the body means that the individual still exists while in the other situation, destroying the body destroys the individual. So stepping through the teleporter will be your last.

Of course, this philosophical dilemma also deals with the Precursors transferring their consciousness into computers. Did they transfer their consciousness into a computer or did they die and a computer program that has the same memories and personality was created?
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I remember seeing an old concept or image of a teleporter that was portable. Can't seem to find it, but it looked like a precursor teleporter that could be picked up.

I like the idea of portable teleporters if it was limited. If it wasn't, it would become a bit too easy.

I like this idea. 10/10.

That's the point.

But the problem is that it is not you. Teleporting a Cyclops is not a concern for most people since we don't believe that objects can have a soul. However, any living organism in the Cyclops would be killed and duplicated. So any pets in the Cyclops will no longer be your pets. It all depends on if you believe that the body is the vehicle of the soul or the mind, body, and soul make up the individual. In one situation, destroying the body means that the individual still exists while in the other situation, destroying the body destroys the individual. So stepping through the teleporter will be your last.

Of course, this philosophical dilemma also deals with the Precursors transferring their consciousness into computers. Did they transfer their consciousness into a computer or did they die and a computer program that has the same memories and personality was created?

Ah, but this is the failure in the argument; that is, it's basing itself partially off of some peoples' personal views, (in this case spiritual ones,) rather than what can be most easily derived from the immediate situation. Without viewing any other sources, you could look and see that as the thing which drives something sapient is deconstructed in one place and then reconstructed elsewhere in an identical fashion, the instinct is to see that 'it's been perfectly replicated after the original model and so it is the exact same thing; just at a different time and place'. But to avoid redundant statement, I'll simply ask what the difference in process is in making an exact copy of a lump of oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen and ozone with your Phinaes and Ferb cloning ray and doing the same with an organism which has the same exact components but arranged in a structure which allows the thing to move parts of it through nerve stimulation. Or, for a less disturbing example, (for some reason,) we have a Phineas and Ferb cloning ray and a computer chip which has the ability to create random threads of information with one part of its primary function and then trim it down with a secondary part to where the instructions have a meaning, and then send those signals back through the first part or send them to other parts of the computer depending on the structure of the signal and even to detect information about the computer and relay it through this two- (or more)-
    step process to muck about with anterior data. Now, if we were to give it a cup of really hot tea and a nice zap with our machine, shouldn't we get two examples of a thing capable both of free thought and rationalization and motion and ability to make choices about what it does in accordance to its surroundings? Is this not basically what us humans consider sentiency? And does the sentiency of one of the cloned computers not match that of the other exactly, besides the time and place which they find themselves at?
    But yes, we get your joke, @starkaos