Dear devs, water you doing?!

VoxelVoxel Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231713Members
Now that I've lured you here with an awful pun (and this post is drowning in them), I have some suggestions. The devs need to connect with the community more. Current-ly, we can sea the trello and post ideas on the forums, but it still feels like there is a wall between us. I have two suggestions:

1. Subnautica has a very devoted fan base, which means these fans are willing to do a lot of work for you. Especially now that the full game is released, it's time to post some sort of design contest. The devs need to just offer some cheap Subnautica merch as a prize and say "make us a new vehicle" or something similar. Soon enough, they'll be utilizing unpaid child labor (which sounds awful, but its not). It could have simple instructions, like post a link to a five minute video describing your idea for a creature, and whale select one to put into the game.

2. Polls are fun, but for once instead of us asking beach other for our opinions, the devs should make some polls to ask US questions. A simple forum post on what they should add in the game, if it was orchestrated by a developer, would do wonders. This could help the devs more in touch with their fans, but more importantly it would make the fans feel like they contributed.

Comments

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    While both of those are interesting ideas, they are essentially 'water under the bridge" as this point.

B)
  • ShurlanShurlan Join Date: 2018-02-28 Member: 238403Members
    Why water under the bridge? The main game may be done and shipped, but with potential dlc this is a valid suggestion.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    I fail to sea the porpoise of your comment, @DaveyNY. And @Shurlan is correct; I'm shore that both dlc and potential game releases might house any suggestions. Hence the creation of these forums; if the Devs wanted us to post ideas and suggestions, I shell assume that some of them otter make it through.

Also, B)
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    @kingkuma, puns are technically and practically considered poetic. Stop being a shellfish beach about our humor.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    I fail to sea the porpoise of your comment, @DaveyNY. And @Shurlan is correct; I'm shore that both dlc and potential game releases might house any suggestions. Hence the creation of these forums; if the Devs wanted us to post ideas and suggestions, I shell assume that some of them otter make it through.

Also, B)
    @kingkuma, puns are technically and practically considered poetic. Stop being a shellfish beach about our humor.

I see what you did there
  • VoxelVoxel Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231713Members
    What about a screenshot contest?
    Voxel wrote: »

Create a thread for the contest or link it to a better website. Overall, the favourite screenshots of mine are A: standing on the hood of the seamoth as it floats in the water, watching the QEP charging its beam
    B: riding the reefback which always sticks its shell above the ocean like
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • VoxelVoxel Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231713Members
    Voxel wrote: »

Create a thread for the contest or link it to a better website. Overall, the favourite screenshots of mine are A: standing on the hood of the seamoth as it floats in the water, watching the QEP charging its beam
    B: riding the reefback which always sticks its shell above the ocean like

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/154311/screenshot-contest#latest
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    The devs have been somewhat distant from the community for the entire time I've been playing the game. Occasionally they would post in a topic to clear things up if things got out of hand or there was too much speculation, (or in a few rare instances where they specifically asked for player feedback on a specific issue) but otherwise I didn't really see them participating in the forum discussion much at all.

I know that the decisions to not include multiplayer or guns were both quite controversial and put off a lot of people. I'm just speculating here, but maybe those issues caused the devs to step way back from the forums. I've seen similar things happen with other games where the devs start out being quite active in the forum community, only to have some major controversy come up that distances the devs from the forum community.

However, from time to time I see references to discord conversations with the devs so they seem to be more active on there.

The other thing to remember is that the devs are still working on 1.0 for xbox and the plans for the expansion have already been drawn up and are likely close to being finalized if they aren't already. It sounds like they do keep up with the forums, but given the deluge of feedback they probably have far more of it than they can realistically respond to and will quietly use feedback where they can but won't necessarily acknowledge it.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited March 2018
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    The devs have been somewhat distant from the community for the entire time I've been playing the game. Occasionally they would post in a topic to clear things up if things got out of hand or there was too much speculation, (or in a few rare instances where they specifically asked for player feedback on a specific issue) but otherwise I didn't really see them participating in the forum discussion much at all.

I know that the decisions to not include multiplayer or guns were both quite controversial and put off a lot of people. I'm just speculating here, but maybe those issues caused the devs to step way back from the forums. I've seen similar things happen with other games where the devs start out being quite active in the forum community, only to have some major controversy come up that distances the devs from the forum community.

However, from time to time I see references to discord conversations with the devs so they seem to be more active on there.

The other thing to remember is that the devs are still working on 1.0 for xbox and the plans for the expansion have already been drawn up and are likely close to being finalized if they aren't already. It sounds like they do keep up with the forums, but given the deluge of feedback they probably have far more of it than they can realistically respond to and will quietly use feedback where they can but won't necessarily acknowledge it.

Yeah, back when there were a good 5 multiplayer threads a day and a good sprinkling of guns threads, I don't blame them for backing off the forums.

Not to mention the stupid ones, like when one guy decided to go on a witch hunt to destroy anyone who said the Spadefish had a good design...

But as you said, they're more receptive on the Steam forums, and most definitely, their Discord server.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Skope wrote: »
    gamer1000k wrote: »

Yeah, back when there were a good 5 multiplayer threads a day and a good sprinkling of guns threads, I don't blame them for backing off the forums.

Not to mention the stupid ones, like when one guy decided to go on a witch hunt to destroy anyone who said the Spadefish had a good design...

But as you said, they're more receptive on the Steam forums, and most definitely, their Discord server.

I want that spadefish thread.
  • HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
    This thread evolved into a pseudo discussion on lost pagan gods. lol

"They were here once, when the world was new, but of late our prayers and laments seem to now fall on deaf ears."
    "Aye, I hear though rumors of a tree spirit walking the woods of Discord across the vast sea of Steam. A land still young, perhaps a people deserving of such godly love?"
    "OH Magnificent and illustrious creators of the Subnautica forgive our trespasses of multiplayer and firearms! Give us your benevolent attention!"

Seriously though, I do wish the mods dropped in a bit more. Even if they just threw in their personal opinions. I can't help but wonder if their disappearance is related to the PR disaster with the sound engineer they let go.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    Even now they're still quite active on discord. It's just these forums that they don't often comment on.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    HCP2311 wrote: »
    This thread evolved into a pseudo discussion on lost pagan gods. lol

"They were here once, when the world was new, but of late our prayers and laments seem to now fall on deaf ears."
    "Aye, I hear though rumors of a tree spirit walking the woods of Discord across the vast sea of Steam. A land still young, perhaps a people deserving of such godly love?"
    "OH Magnificent and illustrious creators of the Subnautica forgive our trespasses of multiplayer and firearms! Give us your benevolent attention!"

Seriously though, I do wish the mods dropped in a bit more. Even if they just threw in their personal opinions. I can't help but wonder if their disappearance is related to the PR disaster with the sound engineer they let go.

Considering that was contained to one thread, it shouldn't be.