ns2_altair (by brainfood)

deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
edited February 2018 in Mapping
Been working on this map for a good few weeks now and ready to show off a few screenshots of what i have done so far, still a long way to go.
f34sibii95ql.png

7gryqkg6sgxe.png

sohl1hwjcl6h.png

rh06rql2r9xr.png

d5iwztklqvdp.png

e3s4v10lohr9.png

7i5xvzr2iy8n.png

iqw696iqslc7.png

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited February 2018
    edited February 2018
    Vetinari wrote: »
    So this is based on Zavaro's greybox, right?

You know, butchering official maps and old, disused rooms is one thing, but taking something that is actively being worked on by someone and not asking for permission is not cool. Please look into whose work you're modifying next time.

This map came about because i took a load of old ns1 greybox maps off workshop looked through them and picked one to work on. It wasnt until much later that i realised Zavaro was actively working on it. I contacted him when i knew but at that point in time i had done far to much work to abandon it. I am heavily modifying the greybox to a point. Whilst i understand making a greybox does take several hours. It is nothing compared to the amount of work i had put into the map at that point.

I didnt actively go about trying to take anything away from zavaro and had i known he was working on the map i probably would have picked a different map like tanith, i chose this map becuase it fit with other themes i was already familiar with no other reason.

We will end up with two very different versions of altair in the end which can only be a positive for the community as the chance of a version of altair being good increases with the more versions being made. I think zavaro is a good map maker and i look forward to trying his altair once he finishes it.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    You didnt credit Zavaro either. In general your crediting is lacking, which makes you look even worse in this situation. You have a history.

You could also have at least the decency to use a different name for the map, considering that your style isnt even close to what Altair made Altair in NS1.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

You know, butchering official maps and old, disused rooms is one thing, but taking something that is actively being worked on by someone and not asking for permission is not cool. Please look into whose work you're modifying next time.

This map came about because i took a load of old ns1 greybox maps off workshop looked through them and picked one to work on. It wasnt until much later that i realised Zavaro was actively working on it. I contacted him when i knew but at that point in time i had done far to much work to abandon it. I am heavily modifying the greybox to a point. Whilst i understand making a greybox does take several hours. It is nothing compared to the amount of work i had put into the map at that point.

I didnt actively go about trying to take anything away from zavaro and had i known he was working on the map i probably would have picked a different map like tanith, i chose this map becuase it fit with other themes i was already familiar with no other reason.

We will end up with two very different versions of altair in the end which can only be a positive for the community as the chance of a version of altair being good increases with the more versions being made. I think zavaro is a good map maker and i look forward to trying his altair once he finishes it.

I understand all that and that's okay. But like psyk said, crediting Zav would have been the polite thing to do.

I'm not trying to attack or accuse you. The ns2 mapping community is small and we all know each other here. I just want to make sure you know what your work looks like from the outside and how you could handle it better.

I understand all that and that's okay. But like psyk said, crediting Zav would have been the polite thing to do.

I'm not trying to attack or accuse you. The ns2 mapping community is small and we all know each other here. I just want to make sure you know what your work looks like from the outside and how you could handle it better.

I agree with what you say, it can be difficult to find out who to credit however since the majority of the community has come and gone. I have always been honest and openb about what i have and havent made and i will credit zavaro once the map does get released in some form. Like you said the community is small and the number of active people working to bring content to ns2 is even smaller. I knew that this issue would come up almost straight away.

At this point i have probably invested more hours into spark editor than anyone else in the community having made 2 maps that are entirely my own work and 6 or 7 maps that whilst not completely original, do contain my own work mixed with other peoples. Those maps taught me a lot and i find it very useful that we can open up the official maps and explore them, chop and change them and work out how certain things were done. It has greatly helped me in my mapping experience and i am grateful to both UWE and the community. Mapping for NS2 is very difficult when compared to most other fps games, there are a lot more things to consider especially because the two sides are asymmetrical and the community is so small getting feedback can be tough and somewhat disheartening. I do it cause i love the ns2 community and the artistic side of level design.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I agree with what you say, it can be difficult to find out who to credit however since the majority of the community has come and gone..

Well, you got it from the workshop. Trying to contact the guy who uploaded it - Zav - would have been the bare minimum.
    He doesn't want to make a big deal out of this so we won't. Just keep that in mind in the future.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @deathshroud oh I dont think your anywhere near me yet in terms of time spent in the editor :D (FYI mine is never recorded on steam since I run it via the exe and not the launchpad).

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Finally someone who knows how to open the editor properly. I welcome you to the club of unrecorded editor hours.
    Loki wrote: »
    @deathshroud oh I dont think your anywhere near me yet in terms of time spent in the editor :D (FYI mine is never recorded on steam since I run it via the exe and not the launchpad).

maybe not we will never know :)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I have a spare computer with the map editor idling on it. It's been that way for over 3 years. Checkmate.
    More images, mostly of Phi and Consistency Monitoring

urbt5egbm7lw.png

z0t86l2wcah0.png

0wa23ytitb47.png

39vno2dx5gg5.png

w30sxuqp3rt8.png

395e77r0jn8y.png

kekifp6dacai.png

edited February 2018
  • skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Looks very industrial. I Like it!
    edited March 2018
    Just finished the next section of the map, I tried to mimic a cyberpunk style generator look with this area. Basically cables everywhere. This area was originally the rt room for Consistancy Monitoring, However in ns2 having the rt so far away from the hive just isnt going to work well, especially considering the shape of the room. So the rt will be moved within the tech room.
    whep0twuajyy.png

zjpm7du9wkn5.png

grt6zigq1eu9.png

edited March 2018
    More screenshots, this time mostly of the first finished Tech point. Anyone guess which tech point it is?
    ctyr90kqo5a4.png

y255f9zy5pja.png

7lftp9zfmy7o.png

zta53qklw5cb.png

kqmcbaqbtx5w.png

Also some more images of areas you have already seen that have had a bit more work done.
    exii0f0jai09.png

lz30r03fapy7.png

crhbyeja23uq.png

edited March 2018
    Muck pump finally finished and using my first attempt with cinematics editor. I modified a waterfall to better fit my intended purpose.
    t92rl5w0gjbz.png

txuskffmtdkb.png

gxqe4h1ktob8.png

edited March 2018
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I like waterfalls.

so do i :) thats why i put so many in ns2_dark
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I'm going to be honest. Looking at architectual style and choice of textures it reminds me a lot of what I built on mesh. The lighting looks very pale though, which limits you in the textures and props you can use without making them feel out of place
    edited March 2018
    Mephilles wrote: »
    I'm going to be honest. Looking at architectual style and choice of textures it reminds me a lot of what I built on mesh. The lighting looks very pale though, which limits you in the textures and props you can use without making them feel out of place

Just checked out ns2_mesh, dont really see any similarity between the two at all. Sure there are a couple of shared textures but the vast majority of your level uses docking texture set. As far as architectural style they both have an industrial feel in some areas but thats about it.

I think you are right about the lighting, i will improve it as i go.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I like waterfalls.

I dunno man, they are pretty to look at but also quite loud \o/

Yeah lighting in Spark is a bit if a bastard to get right, dynamic lights somehow lack that *umph*compared to multi-bounce baked lighting, mostly a contrast issue caused by how the engine makes the light flow, so to speak...
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Mephilles wrote: »

I think you're right, but I think you're thinking of the areas of mesh that were under construction before you stopped working on the map, so they were never released.
    right...
    those are the areas kash is talking about
    15dfd63d30.jpg
    d469841b79.jpg
    9f0f650904.jpg
    261eccfa4c.jpg
    this room never got finished but was supposed to replace central
    edited March 2018
    still dont see it other than some of same textures being used, with so few textures available in ns2 there are bound to be similarities.

Maybe these in editor shots will convince you. I imagine when this map is finished it will be just under 100,000 faces. I plan to make a few custom textures for the map also.
    J8ativ6.jpg

xbFQOz8.jpg

raArH0i.jpg

F5wO1oq.jpg

edited March 2018
    Ok so some new screenshots of what i have done this week and a progress report as well as an overall plan of what i plan to do next and when we can expect the first version of the map to release.

mqmtxnx374q0.png

kkyofja71id1.png

icw7zgt9un1v.png

89h6huuccfln.png

Currently the map is 25% complete. I decided to build up the areas of the map that i felt would work as they are with little modification.

here are a list of steps i plan to take

1. complete 30% of the map
    2. redo the navmesh and occlusion
    3. modify the remaining skybox so that it vaguely resembles the overall flow of the map.
    4. release the first version of the map
    5. make any changes based on testing and modify the greybox according to testing
    6. complete 50% of the map
    7. redo the navmesh and occlusion
    8. release the second version of the map
    9. complete 75% of the map
    10. redo navmesh and occlusion
    11. design any custom textures and props based on my vision for the map.
    12. release the third version of the map
    13. complete the map.

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2018
    Looks nice, but the red lighting looks a bit clustered which appears unnatural.
  • skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Lookin good so far! But I agree with Welsh, the red does cluster. Is that in map or your game settings?