Which type of fins do you prefer

2»

Comments

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Glide fins. By the time I get there I have more than enough batteries and ability to recharge so I'm not worried about running out (plenty in cyclops for replacing before I get back to base) and helps to counter the extra weight from the high capacity O2 tanks. At that point in the game most of my travelling is done via cyclops and seamoth/prawn and would rather have the slots the seaglide takes up for salvaging resources.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I always use a Plasteel Tank and Superglide Fins so I can drop the Seaglide from my inventory on most occasions. I found speed is more useful when you use a vehicle to go around anyway, especially with a Battery Charger supplying you with four freshly loaded Batteries every time you get home. A single High Capacity Tank provides me with good two minutes of dive duration, which is long enough to get me where I want and back without much hassle.
  • ShadoxShadox France Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235990Members
    Hum , i was come for find what to use , but like i've 4 ion battery , don't have a gun (i've craft recipe but no use atm) , and have battery charge machine in my seabase , i think use ultraglide (i've them since a longtime , just crafted the charge fins now but the lost speed make a too huge difference for me).

If player dont have ion battery or/and battery charge machine in seabase , i can understand , but otherwise i'll say you to avoid them (after everyone is free to choose their laystyle ofc).

Also i still use my seaglide sometime , i've make some test , making a round around my base :
    -15 sec with seaglide (regardless of fins used)
    -25 sec with ultraglide (no seaglide)
    -36 sec with charge fins (and no seaglide)

So yeah , i use seaglide , or ultraglide fins when i need a tool or defend myself (knife) , since battery isnt realy a problem for me.

Also i don't realy like the blueish light from seaglide , so if i want gather resources i use my fins (ultra ofc) and the torchlight with ion battery (white light , less headash and more enlighted area) , if it's a dangerous area , i use seaglide.

Hope this help and sorry for my english.
  • WarvisWarvis Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226701Members
    As the ancient saying goes: "Best way to avoid bite is not being there" - I prefer the speed of the ultraglide fins.
    I usually carry 1-2 spare batteries (and in the worst case can swap out one of my other tool's batteries), so I've never actually "run dry" whilst being out with the seaglide.
    Once I have the Seamoth or Prawn, charging tools (mostly the seaglide) becomes less of an issue, and I'd probably drowned a couple of times more without the speedfins getting me back to my vehicle just in time when the world starts fading to black...
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Ultraglide for me, every time.
  • william1134william1134 Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226439Members
    Well because I use the ultra capacity air tank, it slows me down quite a bit. The ultra glide fins just get me back up to normal swimming speed, which is why I use them.
  • Sky_Sky_ United States Join Date: 2018-02-24 Member: 238187Members
    Seeing a lot of comments about the charge fins saving you guys copper.
    You know about the battery and power cell chargers right?
  • xm234xm234 Poland Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229207Members
    edited February 2018
    Sky_ wrote: »
    Seeing a lot of comments about the charge fins saving you guys copper.
    You know about the battery and power cell chargers right?

At the time, they wrote those comments, there were no chargers yet ;)
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    I use the seaglide as a charger. It's the fastest form of transportation regardless of the fins. When it comes to having to hold other tools while charging them and thus being slower, I never charge them that way. I use the seaglide to charge their batteries; empty batteries in, full out. I usually fill the batteries faster than I deplete them
  • ranmafanranmafan Join Date: 2018-02-04 Member: 236837Members
    I used to be a big fan of the Ultra Glide fins, and I always use the Ultra High Capacity Airtanks. But the Seaglide is just so useful as a flashlight, impromptu battery charger, it's generally faster, I NEVER go anywhere without it, and I'm always having to recharge it after extensive use anyway so after trying out the swim charge fins I have to say I'm a bigger fan of that + seaglide.
  • zontwitchzontwitch Canada Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238022Members
    Once I got the upgraded batteries there was never a need for the Swim Charge Fins so I prefer the Ultra Glide Fins.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    The ultra glide fins have saved me from leviathans more than once. I scanned a sea dragon and the stasis bubble wore off just before I could get back to the cyclops. Had I been wearing the swim charge fins, I probably would've lost my hardcore save.
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    The ultra glide fins have saved me from leviathans more than once. I scanned a sea dragon and the stasis bubble wore off just before I could get back to the cyclops. Had I been wearing the swim charge fins, I probably would've lost my hardcore save.

Why not use the seaglide? I use it always when moving, faster than ultra glide
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Ojakokko wrote: »

Inventory space. By the time you get the swim charge fins you won't need it.
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    Ojakokko wrote: »

Inventory space. By the time you get the swim charge fins you won't need it.

Exactly, unfortunately it's the same with a lot of tech. I think the mid/late game needs a bit of re-balancing. The early game is good balance wise, in terms of tech unlock, items costs, etc.

After that, when you hit the mid game, things snowball real fast and by the time you exit mid game and you're in late game, there's barely any challenge/excitement left at all.
  • poesbrupoesbru CH Join Date: 2018-01-03 Member: 234783Members
    edited March 2018
    Seaglide never leaves my inventory, so I use the charge fins. The only time it's annoying is chasing fish to knife for food. Then I wish I had the ultra glide fins (almost never). As for space, I find the stasis rifle to be pointless, so I never carry it. That helps. You also don't need to carry any spare batteries. Seems like a no brainer.
  • HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
    edited March 2018
    A fully charged battery doesn't do you much good when you are in the belly of a sea monster. lol Plus you can get the battery charger fairly early in the game and easily.