Spectator slots bug

.trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
edited February 2018 in NS2 General Discussion
I have a bit of a gripe with the current spectator system:

1. Game starts, teams are full, 12v12 for eg.
2. More players join, they are forced to the spectator team
3. For various reasons, people leave from a team, leaving the count skewed by 2-3 players
4. Spectators CANNOT leave the spectator team, not to RR nor to a team, they are forced to stay there while getting a message along the line of "Teams are full, you can spectate the round until a slot opens"

I''ve seen this on 8bit, TGNS and various other servers

This is obviously a bug, now it might not be the responsibility of UWE if it's a mod (idk), but this seriously needs fixing.

Comments

• NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    This has been one of the many known issues regarding spectators ever since official spectator slots were introduced. One solution would be to put readyroom players onto spectate if they don't join a team after, say, 30 seconds.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    The joy of not being Spectator is that you don't hear any voices or sounds of the running game.
    Sadly this was taken from us.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I've seen this as well, and its not the only problem with spectate.. I also have the following problem regularly..

Queue up for a player slot -> wait until a spot opens and it automatically connects you -> stuck in spec after joining, with one team down a player, and one connecting...

So basically it's giving the slot to someone who joined the sever AFTER I did...
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Handschuh wrote: »
    The joy of not being Spectator is that you don't hear any voices or sounds of the running game.

You can ask your server admin to change that, can't you?
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    As far as i'm aware, this isn't an "issue"... its intended...

Reasoning - When someone leaves to the ready room, they are still considered occupying a "player" slot, if they were to then go spectator, one of the spectators would be able to move from a "spectator" slot to a "player" slot... if however, before the spectator tries to swap to a player slot someone joins the server, that person joining is considered a player already, so the spectator cannot join the ready room as all of the player slots are already filled.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2018
    You guys must have missed Mr.StoneOne literally raging at the subject of this thread when it was released. It is intended behavior.

Link: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2361358/#Comment_2361358
    Read the next 2 pages to get the full effect.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited February 2018
    The only thing that is a little annoying for me is that some maps I'd like to spectate and others I'd like to play. So when I spectate 1 map and on mapchange no one leaves or the leavers are immediately replaced with people that are connecting I am forced into a spectator position and I can't play the next map aswell.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    In my scenario pple left the server, not to the readyroom. So there were 3 empty slots on one team with 4 spectators who couldnt join the fight. Im not sure about connecting players, but i dont think there were 3.

If this is a feature, then its an absolutely terrible one.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited February 2018
    Nintendows wrote: »
    Handschuh wrote: »

You can ask your server admin to change that, can't you?

If you have servers where you can be in RR without a playerslot and servers where you have to wait as spectator - it's just confusing anyway.

I understand the intentions but I think the approach is completely wrong how to handle the “playerqueue“.

It would be best if it shouldn't matter if you are in RR, Spec or NS2 Serverbrowser.

An independent Serverqueue should have been made. You're ingame you see some kind of GUI with which you see “I'm in third place“... if the place get's mine the GUI says I caan join the team within 30 seconds until the next one get's it.

The same with the guy on the Browser, he can check on a full server how many ppl are in the que and join to one - which list is hopefully the shortest. After ns2 is loaaded he has a maybe higher set amount of time to join the team.
    In the seeverbrowser you could use also set you join as well as spectator while still waiting for a playerslot... or you wait only for spectatorslot...

If you also see the average hiveskill - holy shit, that would make the joining so comfortable...

As it is right now, it's just annoying for the average user... you learn to live with it, but in order to get to that point you'll have to get over quite some wtf's
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Happened yesterday on 8bit again, 12v12, (game was damned exciting&balanced), but 2 players left from marines.

10v12, and noone was able to join the marines from the spectator team of 4.

The round predictably ended by aliens winning, vexing.
  • consumer99consumer99 Join Date: 2012-04-26 Member: 151119Members
    .trixX. I agree. A server with 24 player slots, limited to 12v12, and somehow ends up with 13v11, or 12v10 and existing specs cannot join RR and nobody is connecting. As far as I can see there isn't anything on the board to address it either. I read the link posted above but I can't see how that behaviour is a feature when the desire is even player count across teams and 4 spec slots, with any unused player slots available to connecting players or if not to existing specs.

Nin on discord posted this 17/02/18
    "Repro:
    * server is 16/16 player slots, 3/4 spectate slots.
    * You join. Server is now 16/16 player slots, 4/4 spectator slots
    * Player from a team goes to ready room. Server is still at 16/16 player slots, 4/4 spectator slots.
    Bug:
    * You cannot join a team even though the teams are now 7 vs 8.
    Expectation:
    * You should be able to jump in to join the game to even the teams."

And I've seen servers showing -1/24 player slot counts with one person on server.

Can't find anything on the board looking into this as it does appear from what is seen there is a bug and is not a design choice/feature.

Anyone able to provide more info/definitive explanations on this one?
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    consumer99 wrote: »

And I've seen servers showing -1/24 player slot counts with one person on server.

I believe this happens when the person on the server is in spectate...
  • AmbivalentAmbiguityAmbivalentAmbiguity Miami, FL Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194129Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2018
    The general consensus is that’s currently caused by the AFK plugin not correctly marking players it moves to spectate as just spectators. Instead it marks them as both playable and spectators. Furthermore though if that player rejoins the game, they retain both roles. So now they’re playing, but also considered a spectator.

When they leave, their “ghost” is still considered a spectator in some way. When this happens to multiple people, it then causes the negative bug.

I probably didn’t explain this well, but yeah. That’s the gist of it.

As far as the other complaints here where people aren’t being allowed to join unbalanced teams, I would strongly suggest that is related to the particular server running reserved slots and it not behaving correctly. As this has never happened on TA, for example.

I guess my point is: there’s many factors and many outdated plugins conflicting with the current iteration of spec slots. Quite specifically, shine plugins. It’s not the responsibility of the developers to make sure that these plugins work correctly, it’s the responsibilty of the plugin developer to do so, and the players to report these things to the plugin developer.

If nobody reports it... well... can’t expect change. And this isn’t the correct place to report shine errors. ;)