[Tweak] VR seaglide blocking too much portion of visual

bfy184bfy184 Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221813Members
Version 1.0, current in game seaglide for VR is in wrong position while using it, rathet than placing it a bit under player's face, it blocks nearly entire view in VR, although it seems ok in flat screen while playing, using sea glide in VR is very anoying, since no matter what direction you are facing, your sea glide keep blocking your view in front of your head following your movement.

Step to reproduce:
Use HTC Vive and play in VR
Enter game, use seaglide and swim for 10 mins

Comments

• Bam1500Bam1500 Plainfield, Il Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217363Members
    Also occurring for Oculus Rift headset users too.
  • MalwareMalware Norway Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236359Members
    edited February 2018
    I have this problem as well. While I grudgingly can understand perfectly why VR users are downprioritized, there's just a couple of things I need to be able to play the game: Control of the FOV (the Vive wants 110 degrees) and correct placement of the camera in the avatar's head rather than his chest, so I can see over the tools...

I would very much appreciate it if these two (_apparently_ simple, but I know programming...) things could be corrected. Thank you :smiley:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    There is already an FOV slider, check your options menu.
    edited February 2018
    Not in VR mode there's not :smile: Not to mention it only goes to 90.
  • JorriJorri Rotterdam Join Date: 2018-01-26 Member: 235817Members
    Aye, certainly one of the bigger VR issues at the moment!
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Vancouver, BC Join Date: 2018-01-30 Member: 236237Members
    I agree about the seaglide. Took a big break while waiting for 1.0 to release. Just got back into it again and only play in VR on my Rift. Strangely, I just discovered that there are 4 different view selections with the seaglide. Some may already have known this but strangely I didn't!!!

1=View with topography
    2=view with topography and headlight
    3=view without topography and headlight
    4=view without topography and no headlight

What ever button you you to turn off/on the headlight is used to scroll through the 4 view options. I find the 'view without topography' the least obtrusive for obvious reasons and at least gives me the ability to see more when using the Seaglide.

If you all already knew this, sorry about that, but it's new to me (after +160hrs) and made my playing using the seaglide better than it was.

Cheers!!!
  • JorriJorri Rotterdam Join Date: 2018-01-26 Member: 235817Members
    Thanks Phoenix, that will help a bit until something better comes along!
    Thank you indeed, PhoenixSpyder, for the attempt to help if nothing else, I did not know this either. Unfortunately for me the FOV problem remains and will still prevent me from enjoying this game in VR.
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Vancouver, BC Join Date: 2018-01-30 Member: 236237Members
    Glad to be of some help.

The FOV problem though isn't something I notice on my Rift. It isn't perfect and a bit zoomed in, but for me it's at least playable. I hope they can solve this for users who are experiencing it.

Cheers!!!
  • gerrengerren Czech Rep. Join Date: 2018-02-17 Member: 237783Members
    edited February 2018
    Hey there. It is almost unbearable. It's like someone stuck this thing RIGHT INTO MY FACE. Like two inches into my face. Awful. And IMO all the HUD is too close. The PDA is on the borderline of being cross-eyed...

Good game anyway. It would be a pitty if this thing almost broke my experience to the line of not playing it...

edit: typo
  • gandlersgandlers United Kingdom Join Date: 2018-02-19 Member: 237924Members
    There is also a message box that appears at the bottom of the HUD.
    I have never been able to read anything that appears in these boxes as they are too low on the HUD (for me on Rift CV1)
  • Sparhawk765Sparhawk765 Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238510Members
    gandlers wrote: »
    There is also a message box that appears at the bottom of the HUD.
    I have never been able to read anything that appears in these boxes as they are too low on the HUD (for me on Rift CV1)
    Same for me on Vive. Bottom right corner there is a textbox I can barely make out it's there. And to the middle right the "New radion message" icon isn't visable either. Those are the ones I have noticed, there might be others.
  • ntbloodntblood Join Date: 2019-09-20 Member: 254773Members
    I can't believe that a year and a half later this hasn't been addressed by the developers. The Seaglide is too high in the field of view still for VR users. Please do something about it.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    The developers seem pretty busy with the standalone expansion approaching release. Hopefully, they will be returning to Subnautica fixes after. Fortunately, there is a mod to fix many of the visual issues in VR, including seaglide position (clicky).
  • ntbloodntblood Join Date: 2019-09-20 Member: 254773Members
    edited September 2019
    Wow, thanks for the mod tip! They make a tremendous difference that one and the others the mod author suggests in the description.
    You'd think if a mod author could fix these issues the developers could adopt the fixes and give the mod author some credit but hey, I'm happy there are fixes.
    I'm adding Below Zero to my Steam wishlist now.