Failure to launch

DarkShadow270DarkShadow270 United States Of America Join Date: 2015-05-30 Member: 205051Members
Hey,

I've asked around and googled things for the longest time, and unfortunately staring at how adorable the hoverfish is doesn't make me any closer to getting my game to launch properly.

I'm kidding, of course... sort of. I did look at videos of the hoverfish after giving up, but that's just made me want to get back in the game even more. And yes, I have googled and asked around everywhere. My problem is this; When I try to launch the game, it brings up the prompt per usual asking if I want it in standard or VR mode. I click standard, go on my way and it tells me Subnautica will be launched soon. I'm cool with that, kick back and wait a few seconds for the game to start, but all I get is music and a logo per say.
What happens is it's either stuck in my task bar or is running somewhere else and I can't find out what the problem is. The logo, as I said, shows on the task bar, and I can hear the main menu music, but it just seems that I can't actually open the game. Like it's permanently miniaturized or something. Whenever I hover over it with my cursor, it shows a white box with a symbol in the middle basically saying, "Doesn't have any like video or page or whatever so it's just gonna be a little picture we set up for you," type of thing. I honestly have no idea what the problem is. I've tried running in an older DX, I've checked my system requirements and I've even browsed through my computer and Subnautica's compatibility settings.
If somebody even has the slightest hint as to what the issue is, or how I could resolve it, it'd mean the world to me.

Thanks!

Comments

• DarkShadow270DarkShadow270 United States Of America Join Date: 2015-05-30 Member: 205051Members
    I mean- the main menu music is good and all, but I'd just want something else to accompany it if you know what I mean
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited February 2018
    Courtesy of 0x6A7232:
    ebe39293e6677935a5fc00f0c716881c.gif

This is the most common fix, let us know if it works. :)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited February 2018
    narfblat wrote: »
    Courtesy of 0x6A7232:
    ebe39293e6677935a5fc00f0c716881c.gif

This is the most common fix, let us know if it works. :)

Small correction: I actually borrowed that off of @FlippingPower a long time ago.
  • David83David83 Join Date: 2018-02-16 Member: 237725Members
    Same issue here.
    Maximizing via Task Manager does not help. Game was working yesterday. Reinstall did not help as well.

Anyone got any suggestions on this?

Would be much appreciated.

Regards
    David
    What the hell?!?
    Repaired itself...

Solvend then... :-)
    edited March 2018
    I pretty much think, I got the bug figured out.

Situation: Any rig with two dipalys attached, internal hardware is not the issue here

Description: Subnautica has been run on the rig at least once. After unplugging one of the attached dispalys (doesnt matter if display 1 or 2) Subnautica will keep being in task bar, sound audible, with no possibility to bring back up again.

Tested Approaches: Restarting the rig, uninstalling / reinstalling subnautica with/without complete deletion of local data, smashed head on the table

Solution: plug 2nd display back in. simple as that. somehow i dont get why full uninstall didnt work, too lazy to reinstall rig though, might have worked.

Regards
    David

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited March 2018
    David83 wrote: »
    I pretty much think, I got the bug figured out.

Situation: Any rig with two dipalys attached, internal hardware is not the issue here

Description: Subnautica has been run on the rig at least once. After unplugging one of the attached dispalys (doesnt matter if display 1 or 2) Subnautica will keep being in task bar, sound audible, with no possibility to bring back up again.

Tested Approaches: Restarting the rig, uninstalling / reinstalling subnautica with/without complete deletion of local data, smashed head on the table

Solution: plug 2nd display back in. simple as that. somehow i dont get why full uninstall didnt work, too lazy to reinstall rig though, might have worked.

Regards
    David

There's some folders that might not get removed:
    \ProgramData\Unknown Worlds
    \Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Unknown Worlds

However, I think if you open regedit and look here:
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unknown Worlds\Subnautica

you can change the appropriate value by flipping the UnitySelectMonitor value (starts at '0', next would be '1', etc).