Why can't we map the ocean floor?

project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
I understand that having no map to start with is an intentional design decision, nothing wrong with that, however why don't we have access to an ocean floor "map" (incomplete one that we develop as we play) later on through tools/upgrades or whatnot ? We sorta already scan the sea bed with the Seaglide, Seamoth sonar, Cyclops, etc. So how come we don't "store" that data somewhere so we can use it as part of an ocean floor map. It would fit really well with the rest of the game, could even tie in some structure with automated drones that would map areas for you. This is not your conventional video game map with labels and stuff, it's just an ocean floor map (think of the one in the scanner room), you can add your own labels.

At this point I haven't unlocked beacons yet (I've played around 30h). I'm resorting to taking pictures of the important locations on my phone (using the Keep app), while i look at my escape pod for distance/direction, so that later on i can use the info in the picture (direction and distance from pod) to find this location, here's a picture of what i mean.
t7uuqav4cciq.png

I feel like i shouldn't have to resort to this in order to keep track of important locations, I understand later on beacons can help, but I do not believe they're a good solution (plus what do i do before i get them?).

Comments

• RifterRifter Join Date: 2018-02-13 Member: 237584Members
    you can just grab the coords no reason to take pics. Way easier IMO to just use the x/y/z coords.
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    Rifter wrote: »
    you can just grab the coords no reason to take pics. Way easier IMO to just use the x/y/z coords.

where can we see coords?
  • daganaeldaganael france Join Date: 2018-02-09 Member: 237219Members
    you can. but it's not built in as a game design but more as a debugging tool. Hit F1, then you get a console with a lot of datas. Including coords x is south/north, y is depth, z is est/west.
    Still you know I agree with you. building the map as a part of the game's mechanics would be great imo.
    edited February 2018

where can we see coords?

Hit F1, the camera position coords shown then are your current player coords. Also it lists the biome you are in so is helpful for locating blood kelp or dunes or whatever biome you may be searching for at the time as you will know when you are there.
    edited February 2018

where can we see coords?

Hit F1, the camera position coords shown then are your current player coords. Also it lists the biome you are in so is helpful for locating blood kelp or dunes or whatever biome you may be searching for at the time as you will know when you are there.

Didn't even know about this, this feels like it's there for debugging the game and shouldn't be part of release version.
    Thanks for the info, for the time being i'll note down the coordinates, until they add some kind of map to the game.

where can we see coords?

Didn't even know about this, this feels like it's there for debugging the game and shouldn't be part of release version.
    Thanks for the info, for the time being i'll note down the coordinates, until they add some kind of map to the game.

Im sure its there for debugging as well. However its also completely idiotic that we have the tech to build a nuclear reactor and a escape rocket but somehow lack a simple map. Until the devs fix this error ill continue to use coords. I keep a notepad by my computer i mark down all interesting coords and what resource types are in that area.

where can we see coords?

Im sure its there for debugging as well. However its also completely idiotic that we have the tech to build a nuclear reactor and a escape rocket but somehow lack a simple map. Until the devs fix this error ill continue to use coords. I keep a notepad by my computer i mark down all interesting coords and what resource types are in that area.

Agreed, this is a huge oversight imo.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    I can see you have a compass, just navigate through it.
    I for one dislike maps in most games, but I do understand that most people are so used to it that they are practically addicts. If you remove it they go into a crazy withdrawal.

I also play without beacons (without any beacons, including pod, vehicles and SR camera drones). The game map is small, with simple geometry and clear reference points.

A map would be cool, as long as they didn't force every player to use it.

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Would be cool to be able to make one, but mental mapping kinda works once you have a compass and using the distress signal locations as reference. I know that x is 200m southeast of lifepod y, generally works as far as I need it. Still, a proper mapping ability would be nice.
  • gandlersgandlers United Kingdom Join Date: 2018-02-19 Member: 237924Members
    A map that you unlock as you explore would simplify navigating when using VR.
    I understand that the devs are planning to fix/improve some of the VR stuff now the game has been released but I dont know if that means a map or making access to the co-ords earier for VR users.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    @gandlers
    Thats what maps are for, to simplify navigation.
    Doesn't matter if its VR or not.
  • MrMadscrappyMrMadscrappy Doncaster Join Date: 2018-02-19 Member: 237917Members
    Agreed but I haven't got to lost yet lol and some kind of wearable bags for a few extra things if needed or even a small storage space on the seamoth would be handy aswell lol
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited February 2018
    Subnautica actually DID have an in-game map at one point fairly early on in development. That was before I bought into early access so I don't know all the discussion around the decision to remove it (the community may not have even been a part of it), but I feel like it was a well-intentioned, if IMHO misguided decision to make the game more immersive. It also had the side effect of padding game time by making it really easy to get lost, so it was a win-win for the devs who had one less feature to develop.

In terms of gameplay and immersion, I would REALLY like to see a proper map implemented. I find it highly annoying and immersion breaking that the scanner room, seaglide, and vehicle sonar can generate highly detailed terrain maps, but for inexplicable reasons can't save them. At least there's a map mod already.

At least some of the devs agree, there's a Trello card for possibly implementing a minimap at some point.
  • StrykeAnjelStrykeAnjel Join Date: 2018-02-19 Member: 237943Members
    The Best way I can see a map working personally would be not having it on the HUD; rather having it as a Tab on the PDA where the data can be updated as you explore an area. Maybe an upgrade to the scanner Room that would allow the topographical map can be updated. The only outside information I'd want the map to show me would be Beacon locations. no need to even show my current location as an indicator.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    The map in the Scanner Room could be a remnant of introducing a realistic map into Subnautica instead of using minimaps before it was scrapped. Exploring the various locations with the main character and camera drones could have plotted the map in the Scanner Room. Introduce controls to the map and we could see the entire seafloor or focus on a specific biome to see any caves or other features that might have been missed.
    edited February 2018
    kramola wrote: »

wow, thanks :), I hope they add something similar to the game, but tie it in with sonar, glider, the tools that scan the ocean floor.