Extensive list of glitches, bugs and annoyances on 1.0

CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
I will try to keep it simple. Number 1 and 2 are highest priority fixes please. Number 11 and even more 32 could possibly help a lot with performance (limit how far bases are seen/calculated)

1. Texture Quality locked at "4" (highest), causing stutter and eventual break down of the engine with time on anything but ultimate PC-specs. (extra: no Texture Quality slider on options, you have to reduce manually every time you start on F3)

2. Falling through the ground, specially with the PRAWN. Multiple causes but the above can help compound to the problem (collision detection is known to fail on low FPS/stutter events). Include here multiple clip issues like getting stuck inside walls and such. FIX: On the F3 screen, de-select "Use frame time for physics step" for a noticeable decrease in terrain glicthes at a cost of a tiny performance decrease.

3. You cannot access the PRAWN upgrades nor storage while docked at the Moonpool

4. No hitbox on PRAWN (and Seamoth? don't remember) while docked at the Moonpool, so if you get too close/move over it, you fall

5. Creatures also clipping through terrain and often getting stuck under the floor (happens a lot with reaper leviathans), at which case they are often despawned.

6. Some visual elements like smoke and green/blue acid pools in the Lost River render in front of the Cyclops bridge overlay, totally hiding them.

7. Neptune Plataform requires "deep water" to be built ... except it is a barge, not a sub.

8. The whole energy transmission issue, where on load they can break chain. (seems to be fixed on experimental)

9. Creatures (and cameras!) can move across the water/air shields on caves, meaning you can be hunted down by hostile creatures into it, or fly with cameras inside.

10. Creating more than one scanner room at a time can cause cameras to have the same number/name, complicating choosing which to control.

11. Base energy warning is shown no matter how far you are, meaning a random base that have the energy toggling on/off will keep displaying such message to you forever, causing delay on real time messages. Fix: do not show those messages unless you are close to base.

12. Single fishes enter and get stuck at bases (fix: do not allow them to swim too close to bases). Sometimes even aggressive creatures get inside.

13. School of fishes move inside bases (fix: do not spawn them close to bases)

14. Fishes inside Alien Containment sometimes will also clip out and swim inside your base

15. When you are grabbed by a reaper and thrown away, you can easily clip the ground/walls. It can also happen when you are pushed by Ghost leviathans. (fix mentioned on 2 can help)

16. Large bases (not even that large) get annoyingly slow to build with sometimes requiring up to 10 seconds of the game hanging when you add/remove a module (calculating integrity? seems too much for that) (FIXED)

17. Render distance could be increased on high-end PCs (currently you can tweak clipmaps-high.json to get some more)

18. We need an auto-save, even if the proposed "when entering/leaving a base or cyclops" because the crashes are causing people to loose hours of gameplay. (extra: improve saving algorithm, takes too long. 100mb savefile? Minecraft autosaves each 10 seconds and can have maps nearly 1Gb)

19. Last 2 achievements not working (FIXED)

20. Deconstructing a moonpool while you are standing on it (possible if you enter it while it is still not fully constructed) causes you to fall with normal gravity to your death

21. Rotating items (like the aurora model) advances to the next item on hotlist, making rotating such items a shore

22. Beacons on dry land have weird glitches, like eventually sliding under the ground

23. If you try to access a locker from a distance, sometimes the PDA won't display

24. Stalker Teeth and Alien Feces pile up endlessly (and often clip below terrain, so you cannot get)

25. Lifepod icon will stay stuck onscreen (won't move) if you load a save where you hid such icon in the PDA

26. Multiple reports of the giant Tree Cove Tree not showing (happened to me once, I was able to move thru where it should be with my Cyclops with no issues). Reloading fixed it.

27. Cyclops is not flooding (FIXED)

28. Vines clip through everything

29. Teleport/warp console commands don't work if you are inside a vehicle and often lead you to get stuck.

30. Sometimes the Sunbeam doesn't appear during the descent cutscene.

31. Posters put on a glass window cannot be removed, nor the window. (FIXED - you can no longer put poster where you would not be able to put a locker)

32. Bases are always visible/calculated no matter the distance. Other than a visual nuisance (you can see the lights across any distance), it bogs down FPS even when you are far. Same happens with the Cyclops and even sunk Cyclops. ((Partially fixed, some glass windows no longer fully render at distance)

33. Alien Containment hatches are counted towards your base integrity

DISCLAMER: The intention of this post is to help list most bugs in one thread, not to bash the developers. Post anything I missed and I will add to this main text (I can only edit for 24h, see the mirror below for further changes).

Mirror at reddit

Comments

• KampferFJ40KampferFJ40 New Zealand Join Date: 2018-02-11 Member: 237372Members
    I've ran into #3, #12 and Number 21 in my play through so far.
    Also the Spawnnearby Command is not work when in the Seamoth or Prawn Suit Meaning the only way to exit the vehicle is to Dock it in a Cyclops or moonpool. Not very helpful while Out hunting for resources.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    For #1, you can change it only in the main menu's graphics settings, not the in-game menu.

#8 can be very annoying. It seems to help if final transmitter is above the platform (if used).

#19 should be fixed in experimental, devs have posted on a thread.
  • CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
    edited February 2018
    narfblat wrote: »
    For #1, you can change it only in the main menu's graphics settings, not the in-game menu.

You have no texture quality on main menu, only a "Detail" level which changes a lot more than just texture quality, which means that if you just want to fix the incorrect texture benckmark, you can't. If you reduce detail, you loose everything else that actually have no effect on sttutering. In fact, I for example INCREASE view distance by tweaking clipmaps while REDUCING texture quality so I have more detail, with less stuttering.
    narfblat wrote: »
    #19 should be fixed in experimental, devs have posted on a thread.

Yeah from a dozen game-breaking bugs and another dozen pretty annoyed gameplay bugs, they fixed ... the achievements. Sounds almost like "We must give this guys an achievement if they endured this bugfest to the end" kind of behaviour.

I can no longer edit but people are still sending bugs on Reddit and Steam that are not just visual glitches:

34. Sometimes when using an Alien portal, you will glitch upon arrival (seems like you teleport back), and then fall thru the ground. Even if you manage to use the console and warp to a safe spot, you will remain in "earth gravity" unable to swim - even if you enter/exit a vehicle or hatch (my only "fix" was to die)
  • DeadpoolAntManDeadpoolAntMan Kansas, United States Join Date: 2018-02-12 Member: 237510Members
    A bug I encountered was in the Aurora. I decided (for some reason) to close one of the sliding doors while inside the door way. I ended up clipping through the roof. I was able to move around still, but I couldn't leave the area.

• ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    32 is the worst for me
  • GotchaNLGotchaNL The Netherlands Join Date: 2018-02-13 Member: 237544Members
    edited February 2018
    I definitely experienced all of these. (Build 59783) I heard the game got a full release and started playing it. I did not expect the game to still be this buggy. Not much different from an earlier version I played.

It's my biggest fear that these problems won't be fixed while they're going to include an add-on later, possibly making things much worse. Please fix this game first, devs. It'd be unwise to add more cargo to a leaky ship.

It feels to me that the longer I play the game (I finished it, kept on playing), the more bugs start to happen.
    Anyway, please allow me to add my biggest frustrations to the above extensive list.

- Leviathans getting stuck inside scenery. One specific zone is completely safe for me now, since the Ghost Leviathan is stuck beneath the ground. I saw its head pop up through the floor, trying to get to me, but the poor thing was unable to get out.

- Stalker Teeth dropping below the ground. Please implement something that cleans these items up and only allow a max of teeth in the game. All these pointless items generated in the game, I feel they only lead to framerate issues and eventually broken savegames. Apparently some people have seen piles and piles of teeth on the floor. Doesn't help one's framerate and it doesn't stop the already large save from growing even more.

- My main base isn't really that big, but the framerate in and around it is horrible. I don't think it has to do with my hardware needing to draw a lot of stuff, but rather the amount of items inside lockers (I'm quite the hoarder).
    It was fine at the start of the game. I hardly added any furniture and compartments to the base over dozens of hours of game time, just lots of lockers and stuff inside of them. Framerate was fine first. I think this needs investigation.

- Scanner room detects deposits of resources that are already depleted.

- PRAWN getting completely stuck on the ground when I walked over one of the islands. Both its feet were standing between two small rocks. I reloaded an earlier game.

- In the area where the Sea Emperor resides (the water tank) there's a portal which brings you back to the top floor. Don't go to the top floor. Instead, if you save your game while you're standing in front of this portal (in the bit where there's no water) and load the game again... well, me and my PRAWN fell through the floor when the game was done loading. After an hour of frustration and console use I managed to save myself and my PRAWN, but if I couldn't have -> Goodbye savegame.
    (Add a console command to not only teleport yourself out of a sticky situation, but your vehicles as well!)

- I am very worried about the ludicrous amount of files in one savegame and its size. I feel this game needs to be smarter about how it stores information and what it saves. I'm seeing enough posts (on Reddit) where people complain about broken savegames. How much possibly useless data is saved I wonder, and will everyone who plays this game for an extended amount of time see their save break?
    Take Skyrim, also a game with a lot of items lying around in the game world: It's just one savefile, not thousands of tiny files, with my largest save being 25 mb.

- It's a VERY bad idea to allow only one savegame. I curse at every game that does this. At the VERY LEAST a game should make a backup of your save every time you save your game. Aside from the fact that this game is still very buggy, what if someone's power fails while the game is saving? Taking myself as an example: I've played about 60 hours in my current game. If I'd lose 60 hours of progress then, well, let me just say that the word 'frustration' wouldn't cover it.
    I've been making manual backups of my save, stuffing it into a .rar file every day, but people shouldn't have to.

I've had a great time playing the game, I finished the story and hope to be able to play for many hours still, but I can't hide the disappointment that there's this much bugginess going on. Most, if not all things listed in the OP should have been fixed before the full release and I fear that extended play times will just lead to bloaty and corrupted savegames.

Please fix this game and please do not add any new content to it until Subnautica is sailing smoothly.

This is criticism from someone who absolutely loves your game, I do love your game very much.
    I hope you guys and girls keep up the good work and iron out all the game's flaws so we're left with a shiny pearl!

Thank you.
    edited February 2018
    GotchaNL wrote: »
    I am very worried about the ludicrous amount of files in one savegame and its size. I feel this game needs to be smarter about how it stores information and what it saves. I'm seeing enough posts (on Reddit) where people complain about broken savegames. How much possibly useless data is saved I wonder, and will everyone who plays this game for an extended amount of time see their save break?
    Take Skyrim, also a game with a lot of items lying around in the game world: It's just one savefile, not thousands of tiny files, with my largest save being 25 mb.

Well this is not actually neither a problem nor wrong. Every sandbox game is like that, because it have to store every bit of thing (including creatures, bases, drops, nature, resources, progress, scannables, etc...) and the game was originally coded as a voxel game (the terrain is theoretically editable), so you have the saves in chunks. Therefore comparing it to any other game like Skyrim is not correct, you should compare with any other sandbox game, like Minecraft, and Minecraft have just as many files and just as big (in fact, a big world in Minecraft easilly breaks 100mb with large worlds often going as far as 1Gb).

Because the gameworld is so big, separating each chunk as a file makes great sense because on save you can only save whatever has changed, without even requiring to overright files related to things that did not change.

Another thing to consider is that some games have just as many files on save, but they are packed into a single file after saving (MCPE basically zips the folder on save, for instance)

The reason for corrupt saves is not this, but more on how they don't have multiple saves, a better journaling (saving only what really needs to be saved) or just bad luck. They should have a auto-save slot that allows a savegame to check if it is not corrupt before commiting to the actual main slot.
    I've been making manual backups of my save, stuffing it into a .rar file every day, but people shouldn't have to.

Well, I do that to every game that I play too long on the same save anyway, in fact, I have an auto-backup application that stores them on another drive so if I have a meltdown my hours of gameplay are safe =p
  • GotchaNLGotchaNL The Netherlands Join Date: 2018-02-13 Member: 237544Members
    edited February 2018
    Caiobrz wrote: »
    *snip*

Good point about the modifiable terrain, but since they disabled that, I wonder if they still can't optimize the saving process. Unless they built the entire game around this and can't go back.
    The loading as well, it feels far from optimized, what with the "base is out of oxygen" etc. being spouted during the load.
    I dunno, I'm not a programmer, obviously. It just feels that saving/loading needs a lot of fixing and optimization.

But thanks for your reply and I'll try not to worry too much about the 8,386 files in my most recent save file. ;)

@Devs: Another bug, but at least this one's funny:
    - Since I made my base near the cove tree, often admiring the view from my observatory and mining materials in the area, well...
    I've noticed how ghostrays sometimes get launched like a lightning bolt, fly off and disappear behind the cave's walls.
  • LucasHoodLucasHood Turkey Join Date: 2018-02-17 Member: 237804Members
    Is there any way to solve the 6th one ? Its just came out today. There was nothing wrong yesterday. Its not a big problem but its really annoying. I tried to rebuild my save, verify game files. But nothin is changed...
    LucasHood wrote: »
    Is there any way to solve the 6th one ? Its just came out today. There was nothing wrong yesterday. Its not a big problem but its really annoying. I tried to rebuild my save, verify game files. But nothin is changed...

This bug has been there since release, there is no way to prevent it.
  • LucasHoodLucasHood Turkey Join Date: 2018-02-17 Member: 237804Members
    edited February 2018
    Caiobrz wrote: »

This bug has been there since release, there is no way to prevent it.

Then we need a update. I hope they will fix these problems soon. I literally in love with this game.

EDIT: Are they workin on these ? I mean is there any information about it ?
    EDIT: Are they workin on these ? I mean is there any information about it ?

They are active but apparently most Devs got some well deserved time off after release, thus no official patch so far. Some bugs have been fixed on the experimental build but I am hoping to see an official Patch, though I don't know how long that will take.
  • ericthegamefreakericthegamefreak Join Date: 2018-02-19 Member: 237895Members
    I have a minor addition to #22, the one about the beacons. If you do put a beacon on land, most of the time it will flop forward covering the name tag and you can't rename it unless you pick it up and move it around. Minor inconvenience.
  • WaffleflappersWaffleflappers IL, USA Join Date: 2018-02-20 Member: 237961Members
    edited February 2018
    I just encountered a glitch when docking my PRAWN into my Cyclops while the docking doors were not fully open.

To put it simply, I can't do anything at all except quit the game, which would cause me to lose over an hour of progress.

EDIT: I tried to fix things, got my cyclops stuck on top of the Aurora (upside down, and then gave up, I'll just have to do some things over again.
  • Catsfan45Catsfan45 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235894Members
    Jeez I am having problems with numbers 3 6 12 15 32 30 23 21 19 from this list.
  • spencerph12spencerph12 United States Join Date: 2018-02-25 Member: 238248Members
    another bug/glitch: you can clip into the cyclops in survival by swimming into the metal part right next to the bottom opening and then climb the ladder on the inside from the outside. I would post a link to a video of this since I know my explanation makes no sense, but I have no clue if its allowed and I dint see it being allowed or not allowed in the rules.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited February 2018
    @spencerph12 I think I understand your glitch. The ladder on the inside can be climbed while outside.

Yes, you can link to videos, after the forum waiting period of 1 day and 1 post (which is also required before starting new discussions). Being able to edit your posts takes longer, 15 posts and 30 days, if I remember correctly.
  • zontwitchzontwitch Canada Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238022Members
    Excellent list of bugs and thank-you kindly for the work!
  • imkainimkain United States Join Date: 2018-02-26 Member: 238333Members
    I would like to add the following that I have experienced.

1. Building inside of the Cyclops causes the player to clip through the side of the Cyclops while standing still to the point that you end up outside of the Cyclops and either in the water or in the water with the appearance that you are on dry land. Removing built items inside the Cyclops stops this kind of behavior.
    2. While using a controller, pressing B while your inventory is open while in the Seamoth still causes you to disembark the Seamoth. This existed in Early Access.
    3. Sometimes, while moving around with the Seamoth the ground or terrain can take a few extra moments to load causing some items on the ocean floor to not spawn properly or for something to spawn directly in front of you. This happens if you have been playing for a very long time.

I wanted to add that I think the Cyclops' lighting should be a little brighter but that is just my opinion. The filmic filter is awesome by the way :smile: .

Also, is development thinking of reintroducing or adding the option to properly surface to prevent the Benz?
    imkain wrote: »
    3. Sometimes, while moving around with the Seamoth the ground or terrain can take a few extra moments to load causing some items on the ocean floor to not spawn properly or for something to spawn directly in front of you. This happens if you have been playing for a very long time.

Reduce Texture Quality to 3 on the F3 options

• Arc_11Arc_11 UK Join Date: 2020-07-21 Member: 262671Members
    edited July 2020
    I'm new, and a little late to playing Subnautica, really love it and just encountered bug #2/#15, was really disappointing, thanks so much for this list I'll use it to try and avoid the other 30+ bugs you've worked hard on collating here. Really hoping your fix with the physics option in F3 sorts out the falling through the floor issue, and also glad to find the console and the ability to get my items back without having to re-craft them, can't be cheating when you've lost them to a bug! I also find it funny that the Wikipedia lists the category for the item spawning names as "Debug Spawn" very telling, it must happen to people so much that getting your items back by "cheating" is just a common place thing to do! Thanks again @Caiobrz

EDIT: One thing I have noticed with the fix for #2 is that there is a slight stutter in camera movement with this option off, but it seems to be intermittent, maybe the physics and frame rate are in step coincidentally at some occasions and other times not, no big deal though. I haven't fully tested yet but a possible workaround for this stutter might be to enable and disable the option again. Still it's much better than falling through the world and having to re-spawn your prawn every time!
  • SubnauciusSubnaucius NY Join Date: 2020-10-24 Member: 264931Members
    The Aurora ship keeps getting closer to my lifepod. In 2 of my world's the Aurora ship keeps appearing closer to my lifepod. It only happens when I load up sometimes.
  • IGOESUBIGOESUB UK Join Date: 2020-10-25 Member: 264959Members
    edited October 2020
    Xbox one. 10hrs into a hardcore game. All the water effects stopped working. Standing on top of the escape pod I could see all the creatures swimming in the water/terrain etc for as far as was rendered. Could see the Aurora above and below water in the distance.

After reading these forums I fixed by using dev console command to switch game mode to survival and then killed myself to reset (other reset or tech commands did not work... and yes I tried turning it on and off again and left 24hrs etc). Water reappeared on respawn, hooray! Changed back to hardcore.

Hoping I still get achievements despite the 'cheat'.
  • kenpachi85kenpachi85 United States Join Date: 2020-10-27 Member: 264994Members
    edited October 2020
    Wow never have I loved a game so much only to end up hating it at the end and resolved to never give another minute of my time to it or a penny to its creators. Its a really surreal feeling here I dont know how to properly explain it.

Picked it up a couple weeks ago for ps4 never played it before and after 7days of playtime in survival mode and unlocking almost every piece of tech/upgrade the game totally shit its pants. I got to the point where you make the hatching enzyme and after returning I found the sea emperor leviathan and her eggs missing. Along with half the PCF, aquarium and lava lake area around it. The assets are just gone or something and I cant make them reload.

Ive tried everything I rebuilt my ps4s database, uploaded my save data to psn and redownloaded the game, reapproached the area with my prawn from every angle even going back to the blood kelp trench and running all the way back down. Nothing works the only thing in the aquarium area are bonesharks that have now turned hostile and chase me around the place.

This is utterly absurd the people that made this game are either incompetent, lazy, or they just dont care. Im guessing its all of the above and this is by far the worst that ive ever been personally screwed over by a game. In a way I'm glad this game was addictive I needed a good solid punch to the nads to make me want to quit.

So long bugnautica

Ps normal people don't make those kinds of sounds when eating unless they are mentally handicapped which by the looks of things most of you devs are. Glad I only paid 20 bucks for this game and didnt pay full price.
  • WickedMickWickedMick Denmark Join Date: 2020-11-01 Member: 265131Members
    Most of these I've never encountered, and the others I haven't tried (like deconstructing a Moonpool while standing on it, so can't say aye or nay to them)

Only persistent bug I have, is the sliding inside the Cyclops. Which have finally bugged me out so much, I've stopped using it for good as a transport vehicle.

I did however, recently encounter an annoying thing. And don't know if it is due to a recent update or such, as I have never had it before. Could perhaps be driver related, haven't tested. However, Whenever I entered the Seamoth, and it wasn't directly from the front or behind after being perfectly still in the water, my cursor would off-center (circle and dot) giving the impression that my character was slightly sideways.

However, all this went away when I set the Nvidia 3d settings to use adaptive setting for Vsync (half refresh rate of monitor) I use a 144Mhz monitor, and when it is uncapped or I let Subnautica choose framerate, the problem pops up immediately. It is very bad with uncapped framerates and trying to enter the Seamoth with some speed on. Like using the Seaglide, swimming at the Seamoth at full speed and then enter, will completely put my cursor at 45 degree angle or below to the point it feels I am sitting sideways inside the Seamoth. Only leaving and try to re-enter after being still in the water, will remedy this (Not my cup of tea if there is Reapers nearby hehe)

Other spec's;

CPU: i7-9700k (Not OC'ed)
    GPU: Asus RoG Strix GTX970 OC Edition
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    MB: MSI Z390-A-Pro
    Windows 10 Pro

Subnautica build (on Steam); 65786
  • kenpachi85kenpachi85 United States Join Date: 2020-10-27 Member: 264994Members
    Most the issues are on console versions they did a really poor job porting it to consoles and havent fixed stuff for years.