Bases can be damaged or attacked by leviathan on ocasion

CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
After building so many bases around leviathans, you get the feeling they are pretty dumb and actually not scary at all.

I believe leviathans should do some damage to bases, not something game breaking, just to add a little fun to having a base close to one:
  • Sometimes when they swim too close (alas, they clip inside your base ... usual bug) they deal minor damage (small leak)
  • If they see the player entering the base, they purposefully attack the base once or twice (medium leaks, maybe a fire)
  • If you stand on the observation room for too long while they are in range, they purposefully attack it (medium leaks)

Like mentioned, nothing game breaking, at most a flooding you can quickly fix. At least it would feel more like "oh hell yeah, I made a base in a dangerous zone".

Comments

• angeluscaligoangeluscaligo Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236483Members
    This on the to-do list for the devs - they always mentioned the ability for bases to become damaged and develop fires inside, alike the Cyclops :)
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    Wasnt this abandonned as it was too harsh / difficult for players ? (At least some)

Personnaly, i want that, having a reason to build bulkhead, and thinking / planning before hand.
  • CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
    Wiirlak wrote: »
    Wasnt this abandonned as it was too harsh / difficult for players ? (At least some)

Personnaly, i want that, having a reason to build bulkhead, and thinking / planning before hand.

It would be hard on players if they attacked all the time, but I think that if they do like I mentioned and only attack if they see you entering the base (and only once or twice for suspense), I don't see the difficulty.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    I mentioned this before on the discord and Cory said the idea was planned to happen but the team felt like it would make the game too hard and annoying. It sounds cool but can get annoying very fast since the bases are made to be a safe place.
  • daganaeldaganael france Join Date: 2018-02-09 Member: 237219Members
    love the idea. but why only leviathan ?
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited February 2018
    I find it confusing when people just say "leviathan". not "a leviathan" they just say "leviathan". like... which leviathan. there's 8 different types in game. 6 of them are alive and the other two are just skeletons
  • CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
    daganael wrote: »
    love the idea. but why only leviathan ?

Mostly because they are the biggest meanest creatures, I don't see the smaller aggressive creatures doing any damage to a base unless they were to really put some effort.
    I find it confusing when people just say "leviathan". not "a leviathan" they just say "leviathan". like... which leviathan. there's 8 different types in game. 6 of them are alive and the other two are just skeletons

Because I mean all of them?
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    All of them ? Even the reefback ? :o

I agree that anything too small should not be able to damage the base .. maybe the same creatures that can attack the cyclops ?
  • HipqoHipqo Danmark Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 236996Members
    edited February 2018
    Wiirlak wrote: »
    All of them ? Even the reefback ? :o

I agree that anything too small should not be able to damage the base .. maybe the same creatures that can attack the cyclops ?

If you build a high tower in your base and a reefback rams it, it should certaintly cause a leak!

I like this idea of Leviathans being able to damage bases, causing leaks and fires. Perhaps it should be taken one step further and include possible explosions/leaks/breaches froms bio reactor/nuclear reactor/thermal plant, when a leviathan rams your base. The severity could depend on the number of reinforcements in the vicinity of the reactor unit and your overall integrity levels, perhaps.

It could get rough, but it could get really fun and dangerous aswell!
    Imagine a ghost levy going for you, you jump into the base and the ghost rams your base two or three times. Water starts to leak in, fires erupt, lights start to flash red and you get hear a message saying: "WARNING!! Nuclear Reactor Core Shielding temperature reaching critical levels. Core Meltdown imminent!". You panic... Because you got about a minute to get to the reactor, put out the fire and hit the "Emergency Shutdown" button, before the core start leaking radioactive materiel and eventually explode (maybe 1-5 minute after the initial warning, nuclear material would also burn under water). Soooo..... You are gonna have to make a choice. Either you try and salvage the base and take on the battle, or you abandon everything and the reactor blows up, leaving your base in ruins (which you could possibly scrap? materials could be spawned around the base for you to scavenge, based on materials being blown up, with some RNG loos)

The same kind of system could apply to bio reactors (toxic bio waste oozing out into your base, highly flamable) and thermal plants (thermal plants would need a leviathan to hit the actual thermal plant, rather then the base. They could emit huge amounts of heat prior to a minor explosion, possibly causing structural integrity damage to nearby buildings)
    This could certaintly be a hardcore only thing, if its to much for the majority.
    Caiobrz wrote: »
    Because I mean all of them?

It's still confusing because not all the leviathans are hostile. Only 3 of them are hostile. The other three are passive (Reefback and Sea Emperor) or defensive (Sea Treader)