Saved the Sunbeam

starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
I decided to fix the radio after getting cured and I get a completely different message from the Sunbeam. I only get one radio message from them.
Aurora survivors, this is trading ship Sunbeam. We've tracked your distress signal, but your ship's left a substantial debris field up in orbit, we can't attempt a landing.
We're gonna have to head home.
We'll send our data to Alterra as soon as we can. Hold on in there. Sunbeam, out.

Not sure what happens when you activate the Sunbeam timer, then get cured and disable the gun before the Sunbeam arrives. It is possible that the Sunbeam lands, but does nothing after that.

Comments

• RienRien Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235276Members
    I believe someone tried that with cheats,
    the gun doesn't fire but the sunbeam still explodes, or something along those lines. I don't believe there's any way to get the Sunbeam to land safely, the animations for that don't exist :(
  • Sky_The_FoxSky_The_Fox Join Date: 2017-09-15 Member: 233065Members
    the sunbeam being saved is not new.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Rien wrote: »
    I believe someone tried that with cheats,
    the gun doesn't fire but the sunbeam still explodes, or something along those lines. I don't believe there's any way to get the Sunbeam to land safely, the animations for that don't exist :(

Looks like it is triggered by the countdown timer radio message. If you get cured before that message, then you get the Saved the Sunbeam radio message instead of the countdown timer radio message. If you get cured after that message, then there is no way to save the Sunbeam.

Seems like a bug that the Sunbeam is destroyed when the Gun is deactivated during the countdown.
    the sunbeam being saved is not new.

But it is new to players that don't check the Sunbeam page of the Subnautica wiki or other sources to confirm that you can save the Sunbeam. Did a quick search on the forums, but there was no mention of it.

The only ways to save the Sunbeam is a speedrun or ignoring the radio.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Funny, been playing this game for over 2 years and I had no idea that all I needed to do to save Sunbeam was to ignore the radio. Thanks for the hint, looks like I have a new play-through in my future. :)
  • nabeel3nabeel3 USA Join Date: 2018-02-09 Member: 237221Members
    Yes it will be helpful for us.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @Calarand77 The ability to save sunbeam was added in late 2017, so don't feel too bad for not knowing you could save them. :)
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    Funny, been playing this game for over 2 years and I had no idea that all I needed to do to save Sunbeam was to ignore the radio. Thanks for the hint, looks like I have a new play-through in my future. :)

Not fixing the radio and checking it every time we get the radio signal icon goes against our instincts as gamers. There is always the fear that we might miss something by not answering the radio. So it is easy to miss just like the hidden ending in Far Cry 4 where you have to do nothing at the start for 10 minutes. I had no idea what would have happened with my second playthrough. For all I knew, the Sunbeam would be destroyed even though I disabled the gun before fixing the radio making my second playthrough a waste of time.