So... Subnautica is launching what's next?

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think anything that would draw comparison to NS or NS2 would only make a lot of people upset because it wasn't what they wanted. I don't think UWE can make us happy right now. We need a strong layer of nostalgia to come over us first.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2018
    They did say a new Natural Selection game isn't really on their mind, right?

Derp i'ts in this very thread xD
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Have you heard? UWE isn't really considering making NS3 as their next game.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Mouse wrote: »

Do tell!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2018
    Mouse wrote: »

I think that is smart. I think anything that would draw comparison to NS or NS2 would only make a lot of people upset because it wasn't what they wanted. I don't think UWE can make us happy right now. We need a strong layer of nostalgia to come over us first.

Edit: I post the same thing twice in the same thread but people agree with the second one. Hmm
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Nordic wrote: »
    I don't think UWE can make us happy right now.

Speak for yourself, right now im dying for a cup of coffee.
    UWEPLZ?!
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »
    I don't think UWE can make us happy right now.

Speak for yourself, right now im dying for a cup of coffee.
    UWEPLZ?!

Why settle for a coffee when you can go Latte Macchiato,. Cappuccino, Espresso or one of the other coffee's full of hot air :tongue:
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    there are working coffee machines in SN you know that right?
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2018
    this one is for trixX and @BeigeAlert

Introducing the next UWE game, Coffee shop simulator!

Can you grow your business from a simple coffee shop to a mega corporation spanning the known worlds!
    alterra-drinks.jpg
    alterra-corral-building.jpg

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Potato-derived snack food is my favorite.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2018
    Loki wrote: »
    this one is for trixX and @BeigeAlert

Introducing the next UWE game, Coffee shop simulator!

Can you grow your business from a simple coffee shop to a mega corporation spanning the known worlds!
    alterra-drinks.jpg
    alterra-corral-building.jpg

I'm literally drinking some of that coffee right this second.
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Potato-derived snack food is my favorite.

So... you play Rim World, I take it?
    edited February 2018
    So I have this idea about a great game. It's about two brothers who discover a portal into another world, a fungus infested land inhabited by infected reptiles and fungus creatures who have taken a damsel hostage. So they form a super duper brotherhood of saving the lass...

Along the way they're trailed by a docile fungus creature by the name of tadpole, who's obsessed by their brotherhood and seven reptile bugaboo's ruled by a bigger bugaboo!

It could be an unending cash cow series with titles such as, Super Bros, Doctor Fellows, Let's save the Lass or using a very original name such as "New" Super Bros etc...

Hmm, wait just one minute here 39.gif
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2018
    How about a competitive VR neuromancer heist game in which you assemble a multiplayer team and attack servers (skyscrapers) and steal actual cryptocurrencies from other people. You also have to protect your own servers and hire/buy weapons, protection, AI bots, etc. While you are playing the game, your computer mines crypto and the blocks are randomly split and delivered to random places in the cyber city. To cash out you gotta build a rocket or something and leave the cyberspace without someone sabotaging the launch.

Free on steam
    How about a competitive VR neuromancer heist game in which you assemble a multiplayer team and attack servers (skyscrapers) and steal actual cryptocurrencies from other people. You also have to protect your own servers and hire/buy weapons, protection, AI bots, etc. While you are playing the game, your computer mines crypto and the blocks are randomly split and delivered to random places in the cyber city. To cash out you gotta build a rocket or something and leave the cyberspace without someone sabotaging the launch.

Free on steam

THAT... IS...

BRILLIANT!!!
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2018
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited February 2018
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    All of the programmers are either full-time (McGlaspie and I) or cannot commit more time due to other real-life engagements.
    [...]
    Bump some of the part-time devs up to full-time for 6-12 months and/or pad their ranks with a few new part-time hires to distribute workload. Do this to accelerate the roadmap progression and/or to introduce long term high value projects like a better playtesting model than the one currently used. Basically: whatever it takes to get NS2 ready for an NS2.5-esque rebrand + marketing push. Before that rebrand takes place: complete the roadmap, formally incorporate a combat-esque game mode as an alternate to classic, ensure a robust workshop/skin development infrastructure, and then go f2p with some type of viable upgrade-to-full model (perhaps segregated servers for ranking or just a "paid only" server flag) and cosmetic microtransactions (non-immersion breaking skins, etc.).
    [...]
    Surely the latest patch is proof-positive that all of the programmers (in general) aren't tied up. Talent is out there, ready and waiting - and some of it is hungry for opportunity. Of course, I know that in practical terms it isn't nearly as simple as this; vetting talent is challenging, and scaling up project management requires more than just dumping manpower on a series of tasks to get better results.

But my hopes remain unchanged. Take them with a grain of salt, because I don't pretend to know the full reality of UWE's ongoing investment strategies for NS2. But my hunch is that the hypothetical NS2.5 I described would offer much more financial potential (presuming an adequate marketing push) than NS2 in its current form can offer. Alas, the road there is long and arduous, which you already know.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    All of the programmers are either full-time (McGlaspie and I) or cannot commit more time due to other real-life engagements.
    [...]
    Bump some of the part-time devs up to full-time for 6-12 months and/or pad their ranks with a few new part-time hires to distribute workload. Do this to accelerate the roadmap progression and/or to introduce long term high value projects like a better playtesting model than the one currently used. Basically: whatever it takes to get NS2 ready for an NS2.5-esque rebrand + marketing push. Before that rebrand takes place: complete the roadmap, formally incorporate a combat-esque game mode as an alternate to classic, ensure a robust workshop/skin development infrastructure, and then go f2p with some type of viable upgrade-to-full model (perhaps segregated servers for ranking or just a "paid only" server flag) and cosmetic microtransactions (non-immersion breaking skins, etc.).
    [...]
    Surely the latest patch is proof-positive that all of the programmers (in general) aren't tied up. Talent is out there, ready and waiting - and some of it is hungry for opportunity. Of course, I know that in practical terms it isn't nearly as simple as this; vetting talent is challenging, and scaling up project management requires more than just dumping manpower on a series of tasks to get better results.

But my hopes remain unchanged. Take them with a grain of salt, because I don't pretend to know the full reality of UWE's ongoing investment strategies for NS2. But my hunch is that the hypothetical NS2.5 I described would offer much more financial potential (presuming an adequate marketing push) than NS2 in its current form can offer. Alas, the road there is long and arduous, which you already know.

Onos stampede and babbler mines were created by unpaid volunteers. A lot of the fixes were also by katzenfliesh.
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    Nintendows wrote: »
    Onos stampede and babbler mines were created by unpaid volunteers. A lot of the fixes were also by katzenfliesh.
    Yes, that was my implication.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    If we're throwing crazy ideas out there instead of known / money generating genres.. I've always wanted a singleplayer blueshift-esque version of the NS universe.
    A game through the eyes of the Kharaa, on their home world.

Not even sure how you'd approach it, but it could be fun to be on an alien planet as a young hatchling, attempting to figure out how everything works in an organic sense.. only to have invading space marines slaughter your colony and then you seeking revenge on their space stations.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    If we're throwing crazy ideas out there instead of known / money generating genres.. I've always wanted a singleplayer blueshift-esque version of the NS universe.
    A game through the eyes of the Kharaa, on their home world.

Not even sure how you'd approach it, but it could be fun to be on an alien planet as a young hatchling, attempting to figure out how everything works in an organic sense.. only to have invading space marines slaughter your colony and then you seeking revenge on their space stations.

I've always wanted to see the socio-economic structure of the Kharaa.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The Kharaa Telltale game, coming spring 2019. Featuring one gorge's story of dealing with the loss of their Onos.
    Vetinari wrote: »
    The Kharaa Telltale game, coming spring 2019. Featuring one gorge's story of dealing with the loss of their Onos.

It would be a short story. The gorge would immediately go to the next onos, or hang with a pack of skulks.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I always thought of metroidvania similar to Ori and the blind forest where you have to evolve to all kinds of lifeforms (maybe some different than seen in ns2?) to progress through the world. But the evolve between lifeforms is fluid (meaning no egg) so you could evolve from skulk to lerk mid air for example. I thought that would be a platformer with pretty cool movement.
    IronHorse Once asked, I think in Discord, what game would we like to see in the NS universe. My answer was a hand-drawn action-exploration game. Something similar to Jotun. The NS universe might require a bit more action than Jotun does, but something in that genre. I would love it if UWE had Rantology do all the artwork for it. Her art style would be absolutely perfect for this. The story could be something comical along the lines of A Gorges Life, or more action oriented like a top down marine shooter. Maybe even a blueshift-esque version of the NS universe. Maybe a game where you evolve between lifeforms is fluid (meaning no egg) so you could evolve from skulk to lerk mid air for example. I thought that would be a platformer with pretty cool movement.

I think this kind of game would be fun, unique, and quick to do. UWE could probably dedicate just a couple people to this project while they work on something bigger in secret.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited February 2018
    In SN I think I'm getting the hint that
    the aliens (not the kharaa) are psychic
    , so with that in mind, perhaps the next game can be focused around
    psychic phenomena.
  • LachdananLachdanan Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 16995Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
    edited February 2018
    So far most suggestions go into the Fantasy direction ?

What about basing it on realism instead
    similar to "this war of mine", games where you can play as an attack helicopter.
    For example, you play as a refugee on a gummiboat which is crossing the atlantic,
    you have to chat with the others and if you find out you don´t like em, you can just throw them overboard ?

Am playing an Imperium-builder sim right now irl, where you have to build houses for all sorts of "humans".
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Lachdanan wrote: »
    So far most suggestions go into the Fantasy direction ?

What about basing it on realism instead
    similar to "this war of mine", games where you can play as an attack helicopter.
    For example, you play as a refugee on a gummiboat which is crossing the atlantic,
    you have to chat with the others and if you find out you don´t like em, you can just throw them overboard ?

Am playing an Imperium-builder sim right now irl, where you have to build houses for all sorts of "humans".

The dropship used in NS2 always looked pretty cool. I wonder if there were more ns2-like helicopter models or mockups made? Would be neat to fly one around hunting onos with buddies.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    look at the top few comments hahaha.
  • skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I think at this time, though we all want to get NS3 or an updated NS2 it is most likely not going to happen for the time being. Being absolutely depressed about this is how I feel, regardless I am okay with that. What I would like to see is UWE using other games to increases their infrastructure. Then in the future when they decide to go for NS3 or whatever it will be, they will be able to put enough quality content into the game that it deserves.

Dont get me wrong, I literally can not wait for the next installment but I would really like for things to be more polished before the next game is released so there arent as many issues at launch as there has been. If most people dont remember the game used to be a huge resource hog and barely run on the best computers. Constant crashing, bad tracking etc. So with a better base of games under UWE's belt like Subnautica, future games will only be better.