Time Capsule voting

Comments

• HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
    matrixdll wrote: »
    Agree with everything said against current preliminary user-voting queue not working. Either "Steam discovery"-style queue or showing capsules at random to vote yes/no and never coming back to them would work.

Do you think putting rare resources into time-capsule and not explaining their real value is acceptable?

I think that is a perfect example of a good submission.
    It's canon, and the plant is perfect. The character was closer than he realized. What if you throw it away? That'd be a real kick in the 'nads. lol
    As for the batteries, I think they are fine. They only hold more power, they take longer to charge and longer to discharge.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited February 2018
    There should be some items that automatically cannot be put into the capsule for spoilers (like the enzyme, and also maybe the orange tablet?), but there's one item that I'd like to put into one which is a reefback egg because they're some of the rarest stuff in the game. But the problem is that reefback eggs take 9 inventory spaces whereas time capsules have 6. Is it possible for them to have 9 spaces to carry just enough space for such a massive egg?

EDIT: I just found out that reefback eggs arent currently implemented (which is weird cause i swear i remember finding a couple on xbox ages ago but oh well) so forget i said anything lol :D
  • CorvaillianCorvaillian Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 236969Members
    Well, we are now at the point where the top of the voting list is still full of submissions from launch day and any new submissions are buried underneath 2 weeks worth of time capsules. Thanks to the pinnacle of modern web design, the 'load more' button, reaching the bottom would take ages. And since the option to send the capsule on launch is on by default, the list is filled with so many more trash submissions than there would be otherwise. I think it's safe to say that the voting page has been made practically defunct. Which is a shame, because the idea here is pretty good. I found three capsules during my playthrough, and all three of them were great. Especially the one that had a hand-drawn picture of the contents of the capsule (A cuddlefish egg and two nutrient blocks), along with a small blurb about you opening the capsule.

I think if the devs wanted everyone to leave behind a time capsule, the smarter idea would have the capsule attachment only be a short message using premade sentences, Nier: Automata style. It would have allowed for less creativity like the capsule I received, yes, but as it stands any creative submissions are buried underneath tens of thousands of garbage capsules anyway, never to be seen. Additionally, a system where time capsules that contain rare, high-tier materials or upgrades are spawned only around or below the sea level where those materials exist, as well as limiting the amount of powerful upgrades one can put in would be highly beneficial.

I see some of the posts in this thread complain they had immersion-breaking time capsules in their games, which is odd if it really is the case that the in-game time capsules are hand-picked. Do you maybe not prioritize chosen submissions being non-4th-wall-breaking?
  • AegeisAegeis Canada Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 237014Members
    Hello there,
    So I’ve been playing this game for almost two years now, finnaly finished it a couple of days ago. I made a time capsule that I believe can be useful, with a cool picture and, obviously, no spoilers. Problem is, I can’t find it on the voting page, and I don’t want it to be lost and forgotten through the mess of ‘useless’ capsule (spoilers, swears...) Pretty sure I’m not the only one who has the same problem. Anyway, if someone comes across it somehow, please link it to me, I would appreciate it. Thanks and happy diving.
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    I cant find my capsule but i think its pretty neat. no spoilers and some simple survival nessecities. (food, water, heat blade, ect) if anyone finds the A.C.S.K (Alterra Curated Survival Kit) please tell me!
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    *puts in six empty ion batteries*

*evil laughter*
    Lets hope the lack of momentum on the subject of time capsules is because the devs are focused on the actual game. I've resigned myself to making another once the situation has been rectified.
  • maagzmaagz Sweden Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203543Members
    The atrocious list aside, is anyone else having trouble voting? I'm just getting an "Error 403" when pressing the voting arrows. This time capsule thing is a great idea, I hope they are looking at improving the voting page.
  • LarkLark CA Join Date: 2018-02-09 Member: 237229Members
    Any chance the voting list will be made easier to navigate soon?

I can see this becoming a bigger and bigger problem as time goes on.
  • TurgoNTurgoN Deutschland Join Date: 2018-02-09 Member: 237254Members
    The voting page seems kinda bugged or at least impractical.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    kingkuma wrote: »
    *puts in six empty ion batteries*

*evil laughter*
    calm down there, satan
  • LarkLark CA Join Date: 2018-02-09 Member: 237229Members
    AceDude wrote: »
    I'm working on this. Biggest issue for me is filtering out any TCs that are obviously bad. I'll update the voting page after that.

Thank you.
    While we are asking for you to deliver the moon to us, can I request that we have access to a log of accepted TCs? lol I know, I'm needy. I really need to know if my PDA recording of my Crazy Scotsman made it in.
  • TimTimsenTimTimsen Join Date: 2018-02-10 Member: 237279Members
    Any reason why my request got removed?
    No?
    Okay.
  • CorvaillianCorvaillian Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 236969Members
    Biggest issue for me is filtering out any TCs that are obviously bad. I'll update the voting page after that.
    Wait, shouldn't that be the other way around? Make changes to the voting system so that bad TCs can more easily be filtered out, and then get to filtering them?
    Biggest issue for me is filtering out any TCs that are obviously bad. I'll update the voting page after that.
    Wait, shouldn't that be the other way around? Make changes to the voting system so that bad TCs can more easily be filtered out, and then get to filtering them?

I think he/she wants to remove them from our view. Some were totally unrelated Subnautica.
  • matrixdllmatrixdll Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235941Members

Makes perfect sense.
    @AceDude , please have faith in players - make sure the voting system works in a way, so that the players vote yes/no per capsule once and NEVER see the capsule in their queue again - we will downvote all the rotten ones.
    I hope it's possible, since the voting requires an account and the list of capsules, voted for/against by each user, are already in database - you just need to hide them for said users (or at least add a checkbox "hide already voted capsules").

That should be the first priority hotfix for voting system - the rest of the secondary features (like, filtering by date/language or auto-removal of bad capsules) may come up any time later.
    Because, by the time the fully fixed system will be rolled out, the majority of current playerbase will finish the game and move on to something else, making time capsules considerably less relevant.
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I removed >30k TCs over the weekend. Seriously, I don't want to waste your time for doing this, when I can do that semi-automatically. I'll start updating the voting page today.
    30k saved clicks per user sounds not bad - cheers!
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Right? :) I'm now removing anything without text inside. That made the queue look way better.

Starting work on voting queue right after I finish the purge.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    PURGE! PURGE! PURGE!
    edited February 2018
    That's good news - now the only thing left to apply is to hide already voted ones.
    By "better after-voting feedback" I presume it's implied that the page shows whether user has up- or downvoted the capsule, but problem is - it resets whenever user F5-updates the page, they still see both ↑↓ arrows on already voted capsules.

The best option, I find, is to show for each user one, randomly pulled from queue, capsule at a time, let them vote YES/NO and show next one, without going back to the one that was already voted on.
    That way the user voting workload on 100k entries (which is a lot!) can be spread more evenly, instead of users just voting first 10-50 capsules, the oldest ones in the queue, and get bored of it.
  • Jarod997Jarod997 Ottawa, Canada Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236869Members
    Are there any guidelines on what TCs can and can't have (both text and items)?
    Jarod997 wrote: »
    Are there any guidelines on what TCs can and can't have (both text and items)?

If you would want it in your game or not. Apparently I have fairly high standards for what I want in my game, because I've only found 2-3 that I upvoted.
  • TacticalHogTacticalHog Join Date: 2017-05-04 Member: 230229Members
    Klinn wrote: »
    Thanks for the link.

Could you answer a couple of time capsule related questions?
    1. How many capsules are allowed in a game? Unlimited?
    2. Are capsules only seeded when first starting a game or are more added as you play?
    3. Do capsules appear in randomized locations or do you specify that explicitly when you approve them?

Thanks!

There's so much spam right now because Time Capsules are mandatory in order to finish the game, *please* make it optional
    There's so much spam right now because Time Capsules are mandatory in order to finish the game, *please* make it optional

That won't necessarily make the quality of the submitted TCs any better.
  • HumbleSageHumbleSage United States Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 237023Members
    I like that you guys have this TC feature built in. It makes me feel like I've added to the game. Please don't ever change it or quit working on it. :smile:
    If you want to improve the quality of TC's, encourage the player (through the story and other narratives) to take more screenshots (during the game), and perhaps phrase the text by the item selection more like "You might crash on another planet, what do you think you should bring with you?"