So... Subnautica is launching what's next?

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @IronHorse Once asked, I think in Discord, what game would we like to see in the NS universe. My answer was a hand-drawn action-exploration game. Something similar to Jotun. The NS universe might require a bit more action than Jotun does, but something in that genre. I would love it if UWE had @rantology do all the artwork for it. Her art style would be absolutely perfect. The story could be something comical along the lines of A Gorges Life, or more action oriented like a top down marine shooter.

I think this kind of game would be fun, unique, and quick to do. UWE could probably dedicate just a couple people to this project while they work on something bigger in secret.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    moultano wrote: »
    The UWE method is to make more colorful versions of classic '80s James Cameron movies.
    Aliens -> NS2
    The Abyss -> Subnautica

Sooooo Terminator?

Add terminators as the new NS2 race!
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    The UWE method is to make more colorful versions of classic '80s James Cameron movies.
    Aliens -> NS2
    The Abyss -> Subnautica

Sooooo Terminator?

According to IMDB he also made Titanic. Maybe we could play as the iceberg.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Is that really what his face looks like?
    sharnrock wrote: »
    Aliens -> NS2
    The Abyss -> Subnautica

Sooooo Terminator?

That just means the Subnautica sequel will have icebergs.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2018
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Is that really what his face looks like?

I did try to fix it and his body at one point, but Steve was not interested in a facelift :trollface:
    36177452101_c985436681_o.jpg
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Vetinari wrote: »
    sharnrock wrote: »

That just means the Subnautica sequel will have icebergs.

No the DLC will include that.

• Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    You guys are forgetting about Avatar, I always wanted to kill blue elves with Exo-suits.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    what about a game where you're stuck on a alien water planet!?
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    what about a game where you're stuck on a alien water planet!?
    hqdefault.jpg

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    I'd love to see a game where the core mechanic is time.

Talos Principle had a neat feature; you had to record yourself doing one piece of the puzzle, then replay it and augment it with your next actions.

There was also some PoC game where they explored 4D spaces in games.
  • LachdananLachdanan Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 16995Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
    - A shooter with modular switching levelparts
    (futureperfect +
    9429.jpg )

- A smallmorpg with 6 different races, planets, govermenttypes, itemtiers and global buildable superweaponbuildings with fixed 3Month runtime and permadeath
    Tier1: Gather wood make spears, Tier2 gather iron build barracks and make machineguns, Tier3 make alliance with Protossborg and trade for Phasegate, Tier4 harvest Crystals and Build a Phasesgate building, Tier5 gather troops and invade 4546B.
    or stay on tier 1 as a happy skulkling to gather cysts for your racemasterhive.

- Hellgate: Natural Selection

UWE can do anything, remember 30 years ago buildings in shooters were thought to be undoable, and nowadays its not uncommon to ask for a grand to kickstart something

• NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited January 2018
    Dear UWE,

re: the natural selection universe -

Bump some of the part-time devs up to full-time for 6-12 months and/or pad their ranks with a few new part-time hires to distribute workload. Do this to accelerate the roadmap progression and/or to introduce long term high value projects like a better playtesting model than the one currently used. Basically: whatever it takes to get NS2 ready for an NS2.5-esque rebrand + marketing push. Before that rebrand takes place: complete the roadmap, formally incorporate a combat-esque game mode as an alternate to classic, ensure a robust workshop/skin development infrastructure, and then go f2p with some type of viable upgrade-to-full model (perhaps segregated servers for ranking or just a "paid only" server flag) and cosmetic microtransactions (non-immersion breaking skins, etc.).

re: the remaining quasi-infinitude of game possibilities -

Safe Mode: make another one as good as Subnautica or Natural Selection.
    Live Dangerously: if you're feeling particularly ambitious, attempt to rescale the low oxygen peaks represented by the singular achievement that is Zen of Sudoku. Some impossible tasks are worth trying.

Thx.

-n
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    All of the programmers are either full-time (McGlaspie and I) or cannot commit more time due to other real-life engagements.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2018
    serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fneosurrealismart.com%2Fsurreal-pictures%2F106Derailment-Seemingly-Crazy-Train-Thought.jpg&sp=d6f32374fe37db4d14b6a334b8adc3f0

Aight so the track record for UWE is all about those unique games that the market hasn't really seen before.

I have seen a few games with well-written stories, but even fewer (if any) with literature quality, change-your-life kind of writing. Books can do this easily, but games cannot due to the very nature of being goal-oriented.

The kind of story I want to see should be written by someone who's fuckin' nuts, an unholy Bradbury/Dali hybrid with nonsensical, drug-addled fantasies just begging for a blank check and a room-full of people who can somehow capture his madness and put it in a game.

$15 on Steam
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2018
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I'd like to say Future Perfect, but I guess the next release will be Subnautica DLC, after XBox release of course.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited February 2018
    Probably a game involving kittens

My suggestion would be either ns3 or a blatant space station 13 ripoff with the intent of making a few million dollars off the back of a cheap indie game that potentially has a ridiculous amount of potential success if done correctly.

Nautical Selection, an underwater rts fps with aqua gorges
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited February 2018
    For good reasons the devs probably dont want to have anything to do with the people currently playing this liscence, thanks to things like the 2016 NSL temper tantrums, tyrrany of wooza clown fiestas etc

Its also a saturated market
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    For good reasons the devs probably dont want to have anything to do with the people currently playing this liscence, thanks to things like the 2016 NSL temper tantrums, tyrrany of wooza clown fiestas etc

Its also a saturated market

Saturated market? So can you show me the other FPS/RTS multiplayer games out there?

Also, I mean they made Subnautica at the prime time of sandbox survival games.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

He does have a point here. Luckily it turned out alright.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited February 2018
    Saturated market? So can you show me the other FPS/RTS multiplayer games out there?

Not sure, Subnautica I reckon they got a ton of free add from youtubers, it was fun to watch with a unique atmosphere .

The two genre arent all that similar nor comparable, the requirements for success are not the same for starters competitive shooters you need enough people playing concurrently it otherwise you cant do proper matchmaking so nobody's gonna play it. e.g. LawBreakers. Single player games I guess they are fine building more slowly and steadily.

FPS/RTS is really a niche thing. Its probably not gonna be the next battle royale. PUBG wasn't the first one, the hype built over time for years before it exploded. There is no such thing with RTS/FPS quite the opposite. I could be wrong, maybe if NS2 hadnt been so unoptimized at release things would look very different.

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    they'll probably work on Subnautica expansion, honestly, if you guys haven't tried it yet, try it, it's a very good game imo.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    they'll probably work on Subnautica expansion, honestly, if you guys haven't tried it yet, try it, it's a very good game imo.

But what about after that?
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2018
    Nordic wrote: »

They'll make a turn based battlegrounds shooter where each player controls a spaceship.

[EDIT] Likely set in the same universe as NS & SN
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2018
    For good reasons the devs probably dont want to have anything to do with the people currently playing
    dumb comment blah blah
    The exact same people who have been here since 2002, what's your problem?
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Archie wrote: »
    For good reasons the devs probably dont want to have anything to do with the people currently playing
    dumb comment blah blah
    The exact same people who have been here since 2002, what's your problem?
    bXC7oYB.jpg
    Mouse wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »

They'll make a turn based battlegrounds shooter where each player controls a spaceship.

[EDIT] Likely set in the same universe as NS & SN