Time Capsule voting

AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
Quick tip: for the new TCs to get accepted, we need them to be voted on first. Here's the website where it happens: https://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/time-capsules (you need to register / log in to vote).

I'm going through TCs with >10 positive votes each day.

Comments

• KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    Thanks for the link.

Could you answer a couple of time capsule related questions?
    1. How many capsules are allowed in a game? Unlimited?
    2. Are capsules only seeded when first starting a game or are more added as you play?
    3. Do capsules appear in randomized locations or do you specify that explicitly when you approve them?

Thanks!
  • AenerionAenerion Netherlands Join Date: 2018-01-25 Member: 235727Members
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    AceDude wrote: »
    @Klinn 1. You can get up to 40 (if you explore every bit of the map) in a single game
    2. They are downloaded on the fly
    3. They appear randomly in pre-defined locations

Is there a way yet to make your own data logs/find your own time capsules?
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I don't know what you mean about data logs. It's possible to find your own TC.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I don't know what you mean about data logs. It's possible to find your own TC.

I mean make custom ones that work like the TCs. Basically like the Aurora Survivors and such, but for you. You make your own logs and stuff.

I'm only asking because I haven't played in a bit.
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    What would be the purpose of that? Sounds useless. But anyway, let's stay on the topic.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I literally just found my first time capsule.

If there's a DoubleJ around here, thanks for the seaglide!

Guess I'll have to give back a bit and vote on these
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Just spent half an hour voting and the quality of those capsules is... depressing, to be honest. Spoilers, swear words, real-life self-advertising, immersion breaking babble... and the worst thing is that those get some upvotes too.

Out of the batch that loaded up for me, which was a total of 100 I think, I only upvoted 5 or so. I don't know, it seems people simply have no idea what these capsules are for or what to do with them. I haven't gotten to creating mine yet, so I do not know how the process goes, but perhaps some guidelines as to what is okay to put in there are necessary (as in: not the end-game stuff and only non-spoilery pictures) and what to write (again, no spoilers and keep it in-character: write as the survivor, not lonely Jimmy from the basement seeking friends through his email)...

I'm sorry, I'm just sad, I guess.
  • GoldenApplesGoldenApples norway Join Date: 2017-09-09 Member: 232914Members
    how easy is the time capsules to find ?
    maybe you could add a sort of glow like those Data Boxes in the next update(bug fixing, performance fixing)
  • AsmodanAsmodan Germany Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235649Members
    Most People seem to like the Time Capsules, but i ask nevertheless. An Option to disable them would be nice for me, i don't like to ignore up to 40 random Objects in my Game. Is there a chance to add such a function?
  • HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
    edited January 2018
    I made it all the way down to "Made 1 day ago", then I realized I could play the entire game again and make a new capsule by the time I found the first one I made today. Perhaps a search system would be helpful in voting for these? I think its fairly obvious that the reason so many submissions are bogus is because console commands are still enabled with Survival mode. Creative mode should not have access to the Time Capsule anyway.

I also don't think it matters if the Capsules are canon or just friendly comments about the game, but perhaps the capsule could be marked by the player who creates them "Immersion friendly" or "Side Remark".

P.S Idea on the search system.

Picture: Yes/No
    Items: Yes/No
    Game Mode: Survival/Creative/Hard
    Time Played: <-- that could be a good way to weed out bogus submissions.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I mentioned this in another thread about capsules a while ago but... players voting is not enough. We either need a list of things that should not be put in/written, something for people to acknowledge before they make their capsule, or we need a group of UWE-appointed people to approve the capsules instead. As it is, the voting simply doesn't work in preventing wrong stuff from appearing in game.

Example: I just got a capsule with a huge promo-like photo of a guy (just how self-centered you have to be to want to put your own photo into other peoples' games?), and a few upgrades I shouldn't have had in my game yet. It kinda sorta screwed my enjoyment of discovering the upgrades later on and felt a lot like cheating. Sure I could just toss the items away and pretend I never got them, but that's not really a solution here, plus I'll forever have that photo stuck in my log now.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like the idea of capsules and I'd LOVE to have them in my game, but only if they do not break immersion with real-life photos and do not contain end-game items.

And sorry, I know I post a lot about this subject recently, but I just really want the capsules to work well and enhance the game rather than spoil it.
  • ๖ۣۜRocket๖ۣۜJumper๖ۣۜRocket๖ۣۜJumper Join Date: 2016-09-09 Member: 222164Members
    So I'm having a problem trying to find my TC on the website...
    Will this effect my chances of my TC appearing in-game because people won't be able to vote it?
    Because getting down to the <1 Day submissions is really hard.
    Could there be a search system?
  • JimboJamboJimboJambo Join Date: 2018-01-25 Member: 235708Members
    The voting page could definitely use some work, but I feel like having a search function would really only help people find their own capsules.

Some things I think it really does need:

* Proper text wrapping, for those "REEE" messages.
    * A way to see the contents of the capsules' inventories.
    * A way to jump ahead to a certain page, so you don't have to scroll for half an hour to get back to where you left off.
    * Highlight the up/down arrows after we click them, so we know what we've already voted for.
    * The ability to change our vote, for those times when you think something looks good, vote for it, and then read it more closely and realize that it's actually awful.

UWE could probably also stand to feature the voting page more prominently (somehow, without drawing new players to it and having them spoil the game for themselves).

I also feel that requiring the capsule to be prepared before launch is perhaps a mistake, as it seems like there are a lot people who throw some random stuff in there just to get off the ground when they otherwise wouldn't bother. Yes, there is an option to opt out of submitting your capsule, but if laziness is the problem then asking people to go out of their way to self-moderate isn't the solution.
  • TacticalHogTacticalHog Join Date: 2017-05-04 Member: 230229Members
    This is an amazing idea!

There's an absolute metric shitton of spoilers though, I know most probably wont make it into the game, but maybe there should be a little message when the player first get's a capsule to help stop the spam of rocket pics lol
  • Alex_Alex_ Join Date: 2015-11-12 Member: 209188Members
    Hey I love this idea, I was just wondering about something with the voting. I couldn't find mine up there and I don't know if that might restrict my chance of getting my capsule into the game. All of the capsules for voting say "3 days ago" and I just finished my long ass journey yesterday. Will mine be up there soon or is it just not working for me only? Thanks so much!
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    I mentioned this in another thread about capsules a while ago but... players voting is not enough. We either need a list of things that should not be put in/written, something for people to acknowledge before they make their capsule, or we need a group of UWE-appointed people to approve the capsules instead. As it is, the voting simply doesn't work in preventing wrong stuff from appearing in game.

From my understanding the Voting is just to bring good Capsules to the attn of the Devs.
  • RyuujinZERORyuujinZERO Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235999Members
    edited January 2018
    Alex_ wrote: »
    Hey I love this idea, I was just wondering about something with the voting. I couldn't find mine up there and I don't know if that might restrict my chance of getting my capsule into the game. All of the capsules for voting say "3 days ago" and I just finished my long ass journey yesterday. Will mine be up there soon or is it just not working for me only? Thanks so much!

No you're not alone I noticed the same thing. I expect with so many players the system is inundated with time-capsules (Especially given the "submit online" option is toggled on by default so unless people consciously disable they will upload a time capsule every time they finish the game).

I'm curious to see if mine even worked (I spent a fair bit of effort a custom image especially for it, so it'd be a shame if it were discarded before it saw the light of voting.)

I'm guessing they probably cull stuff over a certain age, so that the next bunch of capsules appear higher up the list, hence the sheer volume of 3-day-old capsules and nothing newer. So our capsules will probably be visible in 3-7 days time.
    If you get tired of waiting for it to appear in the queue, you might want to post your efforts over in the "Time Capsule Contents" thread. I'm curious to see what sort of custom image you created, since I did one too.
    I'll write a script to kick out any time capsules that are bad to make voting easier. Voting is used only to promote TCs into manual moderation.

In that case - a humble request: do not allow photos to be added. Screenshots, edited screenshots, drawings are all perfect, but not actual real life photos of people who want to force their faces into someone else's game.
  • Shady_oneShady_one Join Date: 2017-04-08 Member: 229491Members
    edited January 2018
    One thing that is definitely be useful - ability to filter out capsules by language. And make the checkbox "submit on launch" to be off by default.
    I wonder, Alterra developed Neptune specifically to allow Aurora crew to save from the planet. It is one-seated. If there would be multiple survivors, Alterra basically force them to clutter planet with time capsules.
  • VincentNZVincentNZ Germany Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217829Members
    Yeah a lagnuage filter would be great. I did write mine in German, which would make it more accessible to german folks, while totally unnecessary to large amounts of the playerbase. I have not found it despite going through a thousand or so TCs, so I guess it is either approved already or way at the bottom.
    I would like to have a way to search for certain things, or to browse through the approved ones.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited January 2018
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    I'll write a script to kick out any time capsules that are bad to make voting easier. Voting is used only to promote TCs into manual moderation.

In that case - a humble request: do not allow photos to be added. Screenshots, edited screenshots, drawings are all perfect, but not actual real life photos of people who want to force their faces into someone else's game.

Just out of curiosity, how would that work? I mean I understand your request, but how would the game/computer/OS differentiate a .JPG game screenshot and a .JPG real-life photo? I myself have used Steam's Screenshot cloud storage to upload non-screenshot photos as a means to share photos with Steam friends, with who I don't have a means to share photos with otherwise (email, phone number etc).

Although it's a noble idea, I just don't think there's a way to filter out photos the way you would prefer to (and believe me, I agree with you) without just eliminating photos from TCs completely.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    @AceDude You want a hand in moderating the TCs? Or atleast until it slows down?
    Right now we get only few TCs a day to >10 votes, so I can manage. I'll let you know when that gets out of control :)
    Shady_one wrote: »
    One thing that is definitely be useful - ability to filter out capsules by language. And make the checkbox "submit on launch" to be off by default.
    I wonder, Alterra developed Neptune specifically to allow Aurora crew to save from the planet. It is one-seated. If there would be multiple survivors, Alterra basically force them to clutter planet with time capsules.

Yeah there are a few plot holes with the Time Capsule. The one I sent in has nothing to do with the Rocket or Alterra. Its written from the point of someone from another ship from an undetermined time that just let behind a few "last words" and some items he was able to fabricate before he fell too sick.