Crystaline Sulfur

BioSpiritBioSpirit Join Date: 2016-11-23 Member: 224153Members
Has something happened to sulfur or is there a bug ? I build a seabase near the giant covetree in lostriver and I have usually found sulfur there. I was on a move with seamoth, so, I dived further down in the lavazone but didn't find sulfur and no kyanite in sight. I performed more extensive search of lostriver, still no sulfur. I don't really like taking the PRAWN down there without jump-jets. Might be worth of a shot the drill the byro-chorals but that's probably not the thing

Comments

• LordCurlytonLordCurlyton USA Join Date: 2018-01-16 Member: 235109Members
    I just checked and I found some sulfur in the lost river zone. How far into the lava zone did you go searching for kyanite?
  • vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    As you started with a spoiler block, here are a few hints (which should be in increasing hand-holding order) to try not to point you directly at the answer. Hopefully this is not an actual bug and these should be enough.

Hint 1: You may indeed need a prawn, though not for drilling.

Hint 2:
    What does a scanner room tell you ? If it does not find any, this is weird (mined/looted it all out ? you shouldn't need much anyway)

Hint 3:
    Look into the brine.
    To be fair, I would swear there is a delay every now and then between entering a zone and minerals populating. Especially in the lost river zone, it took me forever to finally find my first nickel and sulfur, but after that I was practically tripping on it. Even with the check I did, it still took a minute before I began tripping over sulfur.
  • BioSpiritBioSpirit Join Date: 2016-11-23 Member: 224153Members
    I just checked and I found some sulfur in the lost river zone. How far into the lava zone did you go searching for kyanite?
    About the midway through the cave in the lava zone. Had to turn back due to oxygen.
  • vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    To be fair, I would swear there is a delay every now and then between entering a zone and minerals populating.

I share the feeling, especially with salt and quartz in the shallows. I suspect a 2-wave spawning system: first spawn very few, and when discovered spray some more everywhere.
    edited January 2018
    vpelletier wrote: »
    Hint 2:
    What does a scanner room tell you ? If it does not find any, this is weird (mined/looted it all out ? you shouldn't need much anyway)
    That's a great idea. I am about to go down there with the PRAWN. I'll take the scanner room ingredients with me.
    Hint 3:
    Look into the brine.
    I did that, no sulfur in (blue) brine nor (green) acid.

edited January 2018
    Be patient and keep exploring, they are definitely there.
    I tend to find them around and near the various landmarks in the lost river, especially the fossils. Also, a lot of the Lost River can be relatively barren as is.
    I guess the more pertinent question is: Are ANY minerals spawning? If not, that is a problem.
    Also,
    which cave, specifically? Kyanite generally won't spawn above 1200 meters, and I KNOW that the giant active lava zone cave with the Sea Dragon Leviathan(s) has plenty of large Kyanite. You need to enter the Lava Castle in my experience before you find individual units of Kyanite.
    To be fair, I would swear there is a delay every now and then between entering a zone and minerals populating.

I share the feeling, especially with salt and quartz in the shallows. I suspect a 2-wave spawning system: first spawn very few, and when discovered spray some more everywhere.

Hah, for me it seems the RIIIIGHT when I get to needing a lot of copper (or quartz or salt) that suddenly it becomes hard to find. The limestone seems to drop a lot more Titanium, and so on. But surely I'm just imagining things.
    Looks like there are sulfur and kyanite spawning but not in a usual positions, so, some changes has been made in to spawn logic.
    Sulfur was found from the (green) acid lakes from some areas in lost river. The acid lakes between the cove-tree and the alien facility in lost river didn't have sulfur (The one I dived in). Also it seems that scanner room doesn't scan sulfur. There are kyanite near the lava castle, so that's ok. There was previously kyanite in the cave/corridor (in 1200m) between the cove-tree and lava castle.
    I should have searched better.
    I'm surprised there isn't at least one or two large Sulfur deposits. That was what I was honestly what I was looking for first when I went down a-Prawning.
    And if you're careful, you can collect some of the sulfur near the edges of the green brine lakes outside of a suit/ship.
  • SunseahlSunseahl Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205358Members
    Okay guys gonna blow your minds on this one....
    Kyanite seems to spawn closer(within 100 or so meters) to the Lava Castle than it ever did before. It's gotten much, much rarer to find deposits in the inactive caves leading to the castle. This makes it necessary to get near to 2nd crush depth on both the Cyclops and the Prawn to harvest the crystals, a harrowing experience to be sure, especially with loads of roaring. INSIDE the Lava Castle, however, are actual pluckable crystals in single-crystal spawns. That is, you can pluck these crystals by hand and have guaranteed Kyanite.

Also Crystalline Sulfur seem to spawn rather well inside the lava castle's winding caves as well.

Kinda figured that was how the game was set up, actually. Already knew about the Lava Castle, btw.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members

Quartz is hella easy to find. The two giant coral caves near the lifepod, and the third one considerably to the west, and every single cave system in the safe shallows. (If your need grows, then it's definitely all over the caves near Lifepod 19, and the blood kelp areas especially.) Salt you'll have an easier time finding in creepvine forest and grassy plateau biomes than in the safe shallows.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members

Hah, for me it seems the RIIIIGHT when I get to needing a lot of copper (or quartz or salt) that suddenly it becomes hard to find. The limestone seems to drop a lot more Titanium, and so on. But surely I'm just imagining things.

Adult reefbacks are a pretty good source of copper pre-Prawn drilling.
    I'm not gonna say much about collecting sulfur, but
    you should probably bring a propulsion cannon.