Cyclops Battery and Powercell Chargers now use power at a 1:1 ratio on Experimental Build

13»

Comments

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    1. Use power wisely. Extras tend to drain power much faster. Shield/Silent Running shouldn't be kept on longer than needed, with Flank speed used to help escape.
    2. When possible, have the Seamoth charge itself, to reduce that power drain(and when you get prawn thermal charger, do the same).
    3. Use efficiency upgrades on anything that doesn't charge itself, including Cyclops.
    4. Cyclops can get a thermal charger, but that is late game and only useful in certain areas.
    5. Late game, make sure to take advantage of Ion Power Cells.
    (6. Not sure if it's still true, but lights used to drain power; turning them off may help.)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited November 2017
    As narfblat mentioned, you guys know the Cyclops has a thermal reactor upgrade now, right? Charges when in heat.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    i have 6 cell rechargers in my base... its not enough. yo need up to 20 cells to use the cyclops for a longer farming run... all the mods of the cyclops drain that much engery when used...
    Whoa.

In the last game I got far enough, I had set up about 6 or 8 chargers, but before I could use the Cyclops, I stopped playing Subnautica for a while.

That's over 3 sets of Powercells for the Cyclops on one run. That's crazy. No way would that be a useful exploration vessel. This should be changed.

It sounds like KP there is leaving mods running constantly to see that kind of drain. I honestly have had no trouble with cyclops drain, as long as I have the efficiency module installed, and make sure to be careful with Silent Running and Shields. I do wish Sonar was cheaper though. It's the kind of thing you actually want to leave on for longer.
  • ErnieWErnieW tonasket WA Join Date: 2015-07-13 Member: 206134Members
    uh ya its been around a while. doesn't help if you arent hanging round where its hot. the cyclops would be fine if you could charge it from a power transfer when its at a base.
    it would be fine if you could build a bio reactor or a nuke. but having to have a locker full of powercells for extended operation where its not hot is just..... just.... just.
    i have it rigged with ion cells and thats fine and dandy it extends the range but i dont particularly want to hang out in the active zone all of the time. its just not that interesting.

I just don't know what people are doing to have this level of power drain. I've used my cyc all over the map, and aside from occasionally parking it on a smoker vent while I take my seamoth or prawn out to do other things, I've had almost no trouble with power. I never have shields or silent running on except when actively evading a reaper, and I hit flank speed away from those so the toggles aren't on more than 5-10 seconds.
    then something between your game and mine is far different. i cant go any place because of the constant attacks. every things attacks the sub and i do mean everything. as for the power concerns it just makes it more irritating when its running on AAA batteries. i dont usually use it for anything other than a repair and storage depot its just imo not worth the time. i can walk in the prawn and build a temp base with the kit in the trunk. its not real hard to get anywhere on foot so i go on foot.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited November 2017
    modifications: depth to 1500m. sonar. 100%-energy. shields.

in stealth mode you can see the numbers count down in the energy... im not able to pass lost river on stealth

Are you constantly running shields and sonar? Cause that's your problem, if you are.

Oh - use flank mode in the LR. It's much easier, you'll outrun everything.
    ErnieW wrote: »
    then something between your game and mine is far different. i cant go any place because of the constant attacks. every things attacks the sub and i do mean everything.

Wait, what version are you running? The smallest thing that should consider attacking you is a crabsquid. All varieties of shark should ignore you unless you're running the original Silent Running update.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    narfblat wrote: »
    5. Late game, make sure to take advantage of Ion Power Cells.

I tried to make Ion Power Cells, once I unlocked the Blueprint and got to the DRF where I had "unlimited" access to Ion Crystals. I was rather disappointed that IPC don't need PCs to be crafred, so I had six worthless PCs sitting in storage after that. In fact, due to the increased time to recharge IPCs vs PCs and how late-game they are to make them, I don't plan on crafting them (or Ion Batteries) again.

I'm not saying they should be part of the recipe, but it seems pointless to use and recharge Batteries/Power Cells for such a large portion of the game (instead of needing to recraft them; they *should* lose capacity and need replacing after so many hours of use). And then when suddenly Ion versions appear (arguably by the time you don't need them) they're either redundant or not worth the time and effort to make them.

Just my two cents on the matter. :pensive:
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    I've never gotten to the point of unlocking Ion Batteries or Ion Power Cells. But I think a more important upgrade is the Swim Charge Fins, which keeps the Seaglide charged and allows low power use items to be quickly recharged either directly or by swapping the Battery from the item into the Seaglide.

I can see using Ion Batteries in high consumption items like the Stasis Rifle, the Propulsion Cannon, and the Repulsion Cannon, just to not run out of charge before getting back to a base to recharge.

After some runs in the Seamoth, I don't think it'll need an Ion Power Cell. I don't dip that far into a regular Power Cell before getting back to base and recharging in the Moonpool. When I get the Seamoth Perimeter Defense Module and the Seamoth Sonar, I'll just carry a spare Power Cell. Adding a Seamoth Solar Charger just solidifies a regular Power Cell as sufficient.

As for the Cyclops and its appetite for Power Cells, I'm not sure how bad it actually is, as I've not recently had a Cyclops for any length of time in a recent game. But I know it could be bad, so I would plan to have at least over 6 spare Power Cells. And to recharge them, I'm looking at 6 Power Cell Chargers, which aren't going to be cheap now each needs an Advanced Wiring Kit and 2 Ruby.

So having 12+ Power Cells now rendered obsolete by Ion Power Cells seems to be a waste. Especially as it's likely the mass of Power Cell Chargers is now also obsolete with the recharging done by parking the Cyclops in a high temperature spot with the Cyclops Thermal Reactor Module.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited November 2017
    I wouldn't replace all power cells with ion, just toss a few in the mix to boost power levels. My last playthrough I replaced 1 in 6 cells in each location - storage, charging, active Cyclops cells. (Smaller subs don't have much need, as mentioned earlier.)

Except when exploring lost river and below, many dangers to Cyclops can be avoided by ascending a bit. An upgraded Seamoth will help you get closer. When you have to take Cyclops through dangerous areas, use the previously mentioned flank speed (potential to start fires if kept on more than 30 seconds, so use in bursts).
    Jacke wrote: »
    After some runs in the Seamoth, I don't think it'll need an Ion Power Cell. I don't dip that far into a regular Power Cell before getting back to base and recharging in the Moonpool. When I get the Seamoth Perimeter Defense Module and the Seamoth Sonar, I'll just carry a spare Power Cell. Adding a Seamoth Solar Charger just solidifies a regular Power Cell as sufficient.
    I went ahead and stuffed an ion cell in my Seamoth, primarily for the ability to spam the sonar and EMP at will. It still recharges fine back at the moonpool, and I can keep the old cell in the trunk for emergencies.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    edited November 2017
    Jarin wrote: »
    I went ahead and stuffed an ion cell in my Seamoth, primarily for the ability to spam the sonar and EMP at will. It still recharges fine back at the moonpool, and I can keep the old cell in the trunk for emergencies.
    When I get to that point, that's what I'll likely do too.

The Seamoth is odd. Get it about the same time as the Battery Charger, but can't recharge its Power Cell. Most times I limit its use until I get a recharge source, now most likely the Moonpool. Could use it and likely at most drain a Power Cell and require another before finding enough Moonpool frags to make one and then that's it. Doesn't even need a Power Cell Recharger, which now need 2 Ruby.

But then there's the Cyclops. I know despite its past it wasn't meant to be an invulnerable everlasting mobile base, but that's the goal we want to push it to, a mobile base. And that's useless without charge and we certainly don't want to really risk its loss.

So the Cyclops was changed and now it is vulnerable to large beasties and it runs out of charge. The tuning of that has gone back and forth. I've not done a lot in it personally as in my games, I've usually just gotten it set up and at most done one run in it to explore and fix the Aurora. Then it's back to my main base and oft times that's when I usually stop playing a game.

Because I've heard about all the challenges of using the Cyclops in the Lost River and below. Navigational, biological threat, and charge. It's all been rather daunting to contemplate. I wonder if I've gotten the Cyclops prepared enough. Do I have the materials to set up bases down below. What mats aren't common there I need to bring. Am I ready to take it down and face those challenges? Having also just unlocked the PRAWN, do I take a Seamoth or a PRAWN? Or do I go down in one of them?

Those Cyclops challenges are a moving target I'm not familiar with where they are now. And they are artificial gameplay challenges. Who would design a real exploration sub the size of the Cyclops but with its fragility, shortage of charge, and not being able to even run for more than 30 seconds at flank speed without bursting into flames. That's not a proper submarine.

I still want a well kitted out Cyclops before I go to the Aurora. There's a lot of loot there. And I've found that after fixing the reactors and exiting the wreck, the passages back inside go away.

In my current game, I'm still a ways to go before the Aurora, in earlier parts of Subnautica, which have been changed a lot and appear improved.

• KingPhantomKingPhantom Switzerland Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228351Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Are you guys not using the power efficiency module, or using Silent Running all the time / leaving the shields up? It just doesn't make sense. You aughtta be fine with 1-3 chargers as long as you always keep them filled.

i dont let them run all the time. just when i need them and just for this short period. it's very strange.
    i also use the efficient module out of the aurora. this is very easy to get.

i didnt craft the heat recharge module for the cyclops... probably i have to... ion cells are on the list. but i need a stable cyclops and have to be sure how far i will come when i explore the lava castle.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Are you guys not using the power efficiency module, or using Silent Running all the time / leaving the shields up? It just doesn't make sense. You aughtta be fine with 1-3 chargers as long as you always keep them filled.

i dont let them run all the time. just when i need them and just for this short period. it's very strange.
    i also use the efficient module out of the aurora. this is very easy to get.

i didnt craft the heat recharge module for the cyclops... probably i have to... ion cells are on the list. but i need a stable cyclops and have to be sure how far i will come when i explore the lava castle.

odd - no lava larvae right?
    Jarin wrote: »
    then something between your game and mine is far different. i cant go any place because of the constant attacks. every things attacks the sub and i do mean everything.

Wait, what version are you running? The smallest thing that should consider attacking you is a crabsquid. All varieties of shark should ignore you unless you're running the original Silent Running update.

i am up to date and still getting hammered by bone sharks sand sharks crab squid, those electric eel things, stalkers and the bloody biters. i use stealth and i dont usually go flank speed. got the shield and hull strengthening ect. probably i need to reinstall (again) because of some glitch that only affects redheaded right-handed computer users in the pacific northwest or something as esoteric. wouldn't be the first time some random one in a trillion glitch has caused problems with this game.
    i am up to date and still getting hammered by bone sharks sand sharks crab squid, those electric eel things, stalkers and the bloody biters. i use stealth and i dont usually go flank speed. got the shield and hull strengthening ect. probably i need to reinstall (again) because of some glitch that only affects redheaded right-handed computer users in the pacific northwest or something as esoteric. wouldn't be the first time some random one in a trillion glitch has caused problems with this game.
    Yeah, those absolutely should not be hurting you. They shouldn't even show up on cyclops radar anymore. The only threat to the sub pre-Lost-River should be leviathans and crabsquids. Sharks should only be a threat to the seamoth and prawn.
  • octrupsoctrups Join Date: 2018-01-13 Member: 235014Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    I don't know what this 'as well off' crap is. I wasn't handed those power cells on a silver platter by Posieden's reaper driven chariot! You need more? Get off yer lazy keister and get to making them. In my day we didn't even have the sea treaders kicking up a dozen copper every second, we had to actually find it in limestone alone! In raging seas while bombarded by crashfish 26 hours a day 9 days of the week!

Sorry to necro, this is hilarious - just came back to the game after a years break, and was amazed at these loot spewing sea treaders.

• peanut666666peanut666666 canada Join Date: 2018-01-25 Member: 235778Members
    This was definitely one of the worst decisions these developers have made. I know there are many other people like me who are holding off on buying the game because they messed up the charging system.

Why are the devs so "one step forward, two steps back"? :(
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    This was definitely one of the worst decisions these developers have made. I know there are many other people like me who are holding off on buying the game because they messed up the charging system.

ROFL. You liked having absolutely and ridiculously unrealistic infinite free power and are holding off buying the game because of that reason only? Seriously? Wow.

Dude, they have the Thermal Power upgrade for the Cyclops, what more do you want?