Using the Mobile Vehicle Bay underwater

gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
While playing around in creative mode, I discovered that when the Mobile Vehicle Bay is deployed under a moonpool, the player can jump on top of it and use it as if it were on the surface.

Foundations and multipurpose rooms don't work since the bay will slide out from under those and float up, but the moonpool traps it and also provides access from above. The vehicle bay will be bouncing up and down a bit (which can make clicking the menu icons a bit annoying), but it does work.

Using this method, I was able to construct a Cyclops in the Cove Tree room of the Lost River.

I switched to freedom mode, and built a Seamoth. There was enough time to swim out while it was still being constructed and put a pressure compensator in before it was crushed. Then I did the same thing with the Cyclops (fun fact: you can board the Cyclops while it's still under construction and be standing right next to the module slots when it's done).

In terms of using this in a practical seabase, deploy the mobile vehicle bay before you start building the base and note the orientation. If you haven't noticed already, it always likes to face the same direction regardless of which way the player was facing when it was deployed. You can ascend faster than it (especially with a seaglide), so you should still be able to catch it and pick it up.

Then place a moonpool so that when the Mobile Vehicle Bay is deployed, it will be facing open water outside the base (otherwise things may get exciting when you build something). Make sure there is plenty of room if you plan on building a Cyclops, and that it's not over a bit pit or anything for the exosuit. Once the Moonpool is constructed, go ahead and deploy the bay (if you push it to the corner of the moonpool, you can still dock a sub in there as well). In my case, I was able to use the vehicle bay while standing on the edge of the moonpool without even having to jump in the water.

If you're below the crush depth of the desired vehicle, make sure to build the appropriate pressure compensator BEFORE building the vehicle. For the Cyclops, as long as you have the appropriate resources for the pressure compensator in your inventory, there should be enough time to run to the fabricator on the new Cyclops and make one and install it before it takes too much damage.

For safety/glitch prevention reasons, it might be a good idea to store the vehicle bay in a locker in the moonpool when not in use (so it doesn't glitch through the moonpool when loading a savegame or something).

If you build any seabases in a freedom/survival game that take advantage of this, I would love to see screenshots.

Comments

• DeeHawkDeeHawk Denmark Join Date: 2017-04-05 Member: 229424Members
    That is a really nice find and a very detailed replication manual.
    It's important to find and fix inconsistencies and exploits like this before release, to maintain the challenge of playing the game.

Building your base at 900m should provide some severe drawbacks. (And it really does; I build mine there as well, Survival only)
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    DeeHawk wrote: »
    That is a really nice find and a very detailed replication manual.
    It's important to find and fix inconsistencies and exploits like this before release, to maintain the challenge of playing the game.

Building your base at 900m should provide some severe drawbacks. (And it really does; I build mine there as well, Survival only)

While I do agree that this particular unintended feature should be fixed, right now it provides a handy way to get around the pain of getting a Cyclops down into that cave in the first place. Load up a Seamoth with the necessary resources, build a minimal base, and then build the Cyclops. It's even easier if the player built a Cyclops on the surface and was already able to make the pressure compensator.
  • nightsharknightshark Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235627Members
    Is this still a workable thing?
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    nightshark wrote: »

Doesn't look like it. Now it looks like the vehicle bay needs to actually breach the surface to deploy its construction drones and become active. It can still be trapped under a moonpool (and climbed on, amusingly enough) but the construction menu isn't active unless its on the surface.
  • CanduncCandunc Calgary, Canada Join Date: 2018-02-17 Member: 237802Members

I just did this with the Jan 2018 build at 253 m. Place the vehicle builder under the moonpool, and push it the side. Then climb up the ladder, and get onto the vehicle builder. For me I was able to build it. It'd be nice if you could just build things like the Seamoth and prawn suit right in the moonpool though.
  • Salahadin88Salahadin88 Bucharest, Romania Join Date: 2018-01-21 Member: 235295Members
    For me, on build 60318, none of the above methods worked, UNTIL, i kept SPACE pressed: go near the mobile veh bay , keep space pressed, and click for interaction when the name appears (instead of pack mobile vehicle bay read status), and keep space pressed as you build your vehicle, and all should be fine
  • ibeardoomibeardoom Perth Join Date: 2019-11-10 Member: 255472Members
    Candunc wrote: »

I just did this with the Jan 2018 build at 253 m. Place the vehicle builder under the moonpool, and push it the side. Then climb up the ladder, and get onto the vehicle builder. For me I was able to build it. It'd be nice if you could just build things like the Seamoth and prawn suit right in the moonpool though.

Can confirm this works just did it 10th November 2019
  • EightSeven6EightSeven6 Romania Join Date: 2019-11-06 Member: 255349Members
    damn
    yet another exploit / bug / unintended behavior xD
  • ikfikf Canada Join Date: 2020-10-28 Member: 265011Members
    October 2020: When I deploy my mobile vehicle bay under the moonpool it just bobs below the water surface level.... I am sad I can’t make a fleet in the Lost River caves.
  • therealisttherealist Join Date: 2020-10-31 Member: 265104Members
    ikf wrote: »
    October 2020: When I deploy my mobile vehicle bay under the moonpool it just bobs below the water surface level.... I am sad I can’t make a fleet in the Lost River caves.
    They have already fixed it i have tried alot it just doesnt work anymore
  • BlazetheGameYTBlazetheGameYT Join Date: 2021-02-27 Member: 267978Members
    therealist wrote: »
    ikf wrote: »
    They have already fixed it i have tried alot it just doesnt work anymore

Don't worry, as of february 2021, it still works. All you have to do is deploy the Vehicle Bay under the Moonpool and then you climb the ladder of the Moonpool and look down at the Vehicle Bay, when you see the option to use Vehicle Bay, click on it. It works still.