Transfuser still planned, because it sounds AWESOME

nafeasontonafeasonto Meow Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207824Members
PLEASE tell me you guys are going to work on the Transfuser after release, because the abilities from sampling DNA just sound awesome.

Comments

• adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    nafeasonto wrote: »
    PLEASE tell me you guys are going to work on the Transfuser after release, because the abilities from sampling DNA just sound awesome.

Here's something: never say never
    And another thing: everything has a possibility to get added

So all in all i say the transfuser has a high possibility to get added because there are videos by some of the devs that shows how it's being used so i say its coming in the expansion (heck we are not in 1.0 yet)
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I for one, have been waiting patiently for them to finish the Transfuser and implement it into the game. They even went so far as to add the tool, the sequencer and DNA samples into the game (all with functional animations and logic). This to me bodes far more promise than the half-finished Terraformer tool, which was removed due to performance problems with terrain data and issues within the game world. I realize it may not be ready by 1.0 but I am hoping that it will come out later as some form of content update or DLC.

That said, I really hope they go back on their original idea for Samples lasting only a mere couple of minutes. Similar to the issue that the game currently suffers from accelerated day/night cycle, having Samples' bio-augmentation effects lasting just so shortly is not only a game fault, but it also breaks the logic of the game. If you were to inject yourself with a strain of modified DNA, whether virulent or beneficial, it would take hours for the pathogen to affect your body and likely days to recover from the effects. You don't inject yourself with the flu and fifteen minutes later, you're suddenly well again. Even if bio-augmentation were a reality (such as super strength or night vision) it would certainly take more than fifteen minutes before the boon wore off and you were normal again... the body simply wouldn't recover that quickly. :confused:

Like I've said before, I'll play Subnautica when it officially launches, but if the day/night cycle isn't addressed in some form (be it fixed properly or altered via options) I will be disappointed. And likewise, if the DNA Dequencer is ever added (come to think of it, will the Lab Equipment EVER be made functional?) but the Samples are not changed... then like the Time Capsule device not only won't I ever build it, but I won't even bother scanning it into the PDA database. :fearful:
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited January 2018
    Well, considering there's a PDA in the Aurora about the Transfuser, and there's been relatively extensive tests, I'd say it's a pretty good chance.
  • vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    That said, I really hope they go back on their original idea for Samples lasting only a mere couple of minutes.

I did not read much about the transfuser, but when I read "injecting DNA" I understand it as "modify your own DNA" (take DNA snippet, give it to a benign virus, infect yourself, tada new genes !). Which is then supposed to carry the modification on as it splices to form next cell generation - which is just what DNA does, modulo random (and hopefully moderate) mutations. I would get that samples pre-injection would not last long, but once injected ? Then it's not DNA anymore, nor immune system training (aka vaccine), just some "normal" injection of some directly-active substance (insulin, ...) which gets eventually discarded by the body.

TL;DR: If that is how the transfuser works, I'm much less interested all of a sudden.
    edited January 2018
    It's never
    vpelletier wrote: »
    That said, I really hope they go back on their original idea for Samples lasting only a mere couple of minutes.

I did not read much about the transfuser, but when I read "injecting DNA" I understand it as "modify your own DNA" (take DNA snippet, give it to a benign virus, infect yourself, tada new genes !). Which is then supposed to carry the modification on as it splices to form next cell generation - which is just what DNA does, modulo random (and hopefully moderate) mutations. I would get that samples pre-injection would not last long, but once injected ? Then it's not DNA anymore, nor immune system training (aka vaccine), just some "normal" injection of some directly-active substance (insulin, ...) which gets eventually discarded by the body.

TL;DR: If that is how the transfuser works, I'm much less interested all of a sudden.

The original post by @Coranth back in October 2016 talks about extracting DNA from specific sea creatures (only those larger than the Rabbit Ray) to gain temporary effects to any affected living creature, whether it's the player or a different sea creature. The idea was to give powerful or unusual effects to creatures affected by Serums, but the passive effect would only last around 20~30 seconds total. :neutral: The Guidelines do mention that you "could" have two effects active at once, but they would only overlap for 3~5 seconds... :sweat:

I am not certain if this is supposed to be for gameplay balance, or if it's taking in the game's oddly accelerated day/night cycle into effect (30 seconds realtime would be roughly 30 minutes of game-time, more or less), but even then the severely short Serum duration doesn't make sense. However, there seemed to have been some dissatisfaction within the development team as to how the Serum effects should have been handled. On the DNA Sandbox Trello note, a few of the developers comment on how the Serums would be better implemented with either longer-lasting effects, or instead having a permanent effect at the exchange of only having one Serum active at any time (possibly at the exchange of using a Paperdoll Upgrade UI slot to maintain this effect). I tend to agree with these developers personally on this, as I feel Serums could give a potential boost for character customization, and actively reward exploration/research/development. It could also give the ever-woefully unused Lab Equipment (non-functional) devices some much-needed use. :relaxed:

All in all, I'm happy with the direction of the game as it stands now, and not having the Transfuser in the game won't detract from my enjoyment of the final product. But I would like to go on record stating that I hope the Transfuser and Centrifuge won't get deposited into the Void. :( There's so much potential for gameplay options, and the developers have modeled and animated both devices and have encoded several DNA Serums by now. Hopefully it will get added to the game after 1.0 at least, because otherwise it would be a shame to see all this work put into this feature and never have it used for anything. :cry:
  • NathairNathair Canada Join Date: 2015-08-17 Member: 207221Members
    the game's oddly accelerated day/night cycle into effect (30 seconds realtime would be roughly 30 minutes of game-time, more or less)
    30 seconds to 30 minutes based upon what, exactly? Right now the Earth rotates in slightly less than one day but there's nothing especially magical about that rate. Even for Earth, in the past, the rate was higher. Jupiter rotates (equatorial speed) more than 25 times faster than we do, Beta Pictoris b rotates more than twice that fast and Haumea has a ridiculous rotational period (for a planet) of under 5 hours.

So yeah, it is fast but we can't really just declare how fast it "should" be.

Nathair wrote: »
    the game's oddly accelerated day/night cycle into effect (30 seconds realtime would be roughly 30 minutes of game-time, more or less)
    30 seconds to 30 minutes based upon what, exactly? Right now the Earth rotates in slightly less than one day but there's nothing especially magical about that rate. Even for Earth, in the past, the rate was higher. Jupiter rotates (equatorial speed) more than 25 times faster than we do, Beta Pictoris b rotates more than twice that fast and Haumea has a ridiculous rotational period (for a planet) of under 5 hours.

So yeah, it is fast but we can't really just declare how fast it "should" be.

Well, I couldn't find any information on the SN wiki and I didn't want to test it myself (I'm holding off from playing SN anymore until 1.0 launches). The third SteamCommunity link I provided ("day/night cycle") had a user post that it took 20 minutes for daylight and 15 minutes for nighttime... which I'm not sure how true it is, but I hope as heck it isn't. That post was on June 2016, so it's very likely to be accurate. But even though the planet suffers from an extraordinarily short solar cycle, the 20m/15m is just bizarre. If the planet orbited a binary star that would account for a tilted day/night span... but it doesn't. So as such, it should have an evenly split day and night cycle, regardless of how long or short it is.

My "30 seconds realtime would be roughly 30 minutes of game-time, more or less" estimation was based on the above SC post, and like I said it's just a guess (since I'm not willing to test it until Jan 23). If I'm wrong I gladly accept my ignorance on the matter... I just want to see an option to have longer days and nights when playing Subnautica that doesn't involve console commands that affect time but have disruptive effects on gameplay. Surely there can be a slider to change this static value for the people that want it? :open_mouth:
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Nothing strange about 20m/15m. I live at 51 degrees North latitude and near the summer solstice it's 16h/8h.
  • MadMaxTheMightyMadMaxTheMighty Join Date: 2018-01-23 Member: 235421Members
    ...the planet suffers from an extraordinarily short solar cycle, the 20m/15m is just bizarre. If the planet orbited a binary star that would account for a tilted day/night span... but it doesn't. So as such, it should have an evenly split day and night cycle, regardless of how long or short it is....

This assessment is true if - and only if - you are standing in the middle of the equator on a rotating celestial body that was perfectly round and did not tilt on its axis as it continued along a non-decaying orbital path that formed a perfect circle around its sun. That place simply does not exist anywhere in the known universe.

The link below should clear things up for you...

(Redacted because I apparently do not have privs to post links. However; do yourself (and human knowledge) a favor and do a Google search for "is the length of day and night the same on the entire planet")

Have you ever heard of the "Midnight sun" or a "Polar night?" They are time periods in which regions that are located above the arctic rim of our planet will experience up 60 days of day or night depending on the season.

I'm afraid that you are operating on some really funny beliefs regarding astrological occurrences. It feels like you are allowing some OCD related ticks to drive your opinions in this matter. An rather irrational need for symmetry in things where, logically, none should exist is generally indicative of such a pathology. It is also a pretty common trait for technically-inclined individuals to possess - as many Gamers tend to be.

No offense...
    edited January 2018
    ...the planet suffers from an extraordinarily short solar cycle, the 20m/15m is just bizarre. If the planet orbited a binary star that would account for a tilted day/night span... but it doesn't. So as such, it should have an evenly split day and night cycle, regardless of how long or short it is....

This assessment is true if - and only if - you are standing in the middle of the equator on a rotating celestial body that was perfectly round and did not tilt on its axis as it continued along a non-decaying orbital path that formed a perfect circle around its sun. That place simply does not exist anywhere in the known universe.

The link below should clear things up for you...

(Redacted because I apparently do not have privs to post links. However; do yourself (and human knowledge) a favor and do a Google search for "is the length of day and night the same on the entire planet")

Have you ever heard of the "Midnight sun" or a "Polar night?" They are time periods in which regions that are located above the arctic rim of our planet will experience up 60 days of day or night depending on the season.

I'm afraid that you are operating on some really funny beliefs regarding astrological occurrences. It feels like you are allowing some OCD related ticks to drive your opinions in this matter. An rather irrational need for symmetry in things where, logically, none should exist is generally indicative of such a pathology. It is also a pretty common trait for technically-inclined individuals to possess - as many Gamers tend to be.

No offense...

Huh? :flushed:

I don't care about the days and nights being equal or uneven, that has nothing to do with my rant (but if it came across that way, I do apologize). No, my qualms with the solar cycle in Subnautica is that the days/nights are so incredibly short. Even if the planet operates on an incredibly fast rotation...which it shouldn't really, considering how close the moon is to the planet and the fact there aren't any severe underwater currents or really any noticable weather or storms. :pensive:

But that's all from the "lore" perspective. From a gameplay stanpoint I find that days are too short to be useful, and nights are too short to be terrifying (it's more of a nuisance really). I don't really care about days being longer than nights; I care that both aren't long enough. I was hoping UWE would have addressed my complaints by now. They don't have to resolve the cycle, but I would have liked to at least had an official explanation for why the day cycle runs the way it does. That's all really.